Borg Warner transfer cases/fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Irv,

I also have the BW 44-44 TC in my 2012 Ram. Amsoil is the only company specifically stating they have an aftermarket fluid cross for the OEM fluid, and a few years ago even Amsoil didn't claim this. I did contact Redline, Royal Purple, & Valvoline at that time and all said they did not offer a cross for the OEM Mopar fluid. The Redline C+ is their offering in lieu of ATF+4 and the individual I contacted at Redline advised to use the OEM Mopar TC fluid in my TC. My posts on that are in the BITOG archives. I wound up purchasing OEM fluid for about US $20 / qt off eBay from a Mopar dealership.

FWIW my 2012 Ram OM specifies 64K miles as the TC fluid severe service interval and 128K miles as the standard service interval. I plan to replace my TC fluid and both differentials around 64K miles, which will also be my point for a second ATF & PS fluid change.

YMMV

It was just confirmed today that indeed the Amsoil ATF will work/is fully compatible for use in my Transfer Case so that is the route/fluid I will most likely be using.

Transfer Case,BW 44-44......SL075
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)
OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTFQT)[/b
]
https://www.amsoil.com/AmsoilGarage/internal/vehiclelookuppage.aspx?url2=2013+RAM+1500 PICKUP+P

I also talked to my buddy today, with the garage, and we will likely be doing this, plus spark plugs, diff fluids, tranny fluid/filters in the next few weeks to a month if all goes well?

I may just stick with Amsoil for all the fluids, depending on the price of course, or go with Mobil or Pennzoil for my diffs?

I'll see what my buddy has to say first and how easy it is to get the Amsoil products as I think he has a connection?

I also have a connection at Car Quest so I may just use him for some/all as well?

Last edited:
Personally I'd stick to licensed ATF+4 or Redline C+ for the transmission but there's plenty of freedom of choice on BITOG. Redline C+ was specifically formulated to replace ATF+4 rather than be a broad spectrum ATF. Supposedly Redline C+ has the same additive package as ATF+4 but a superior base stock. Check out the link Molakule posted on the first page of this thread but read it over with respect to use as a transmission fluid rather than a TC fluid.

I stuck with licensed ATF+4 for my transmission & PS as I didn't have any performance problems with my factory fill and I can get licensed ATF+4 for $3 to $4 per quart. The brands of ATF+4 I've purchased state they are fully synthetic formulation (Havoline & Valvoline) but there's folks here who'll debate that of course. I'll keep changing my ATF at 30 - 35 K miles using licensed ATF+4.

I caught Castrol Syntrax synthetic 75W-90 on clearance at Autozone for $2 / qt so that's for my front differential. I haven't purchased anything for my rear differential yet.

Last edited:
Personally I'd stick to licensed ATF+4 or Redline C+ for the transmission but there's plenty of freedom of choice on BITOG. Redline C+ was specifically formulated to replace ATF+4 rather than be a broad spectrum ATF. Supposedly Redline C+ has the same additive package as ATF+4 but a superior base stock. Check out the link Molakule posted on the first page of this thread but read it over with respect to use as a transmission fluid rather than a TC fluid.

I stuck with licensed ATF+4 for my transmission & PS as I didn't have any performance problems with my factory fill and I can get licensed ATF+4 for $3 to $4 per quart. The brands of ATF+4 I've purchased state they are fully synthetic formulation (Havoline & Valvoline) but there's folks here who'll debate that of course. I'll keep changing my ATF at 30 - 35 K miles using licensed ATF+4.

I caught Castrol Syntrax synthetic 75W-90 on clearance at Autozone for $2 / qt so that's for my front differential. I haven't purchased anything for my rear differential yet.

I trust your advice, Nyogtha, so that is what I'll do/use.

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: irv

I trust your advice, Nyogtha, so that is what I'll do/use.

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

Nyogtha's advice on ATF+4 (or equivalent in Redline C+) is spot on. IMHO this advice is applicable to all applications calling for any ATF type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back