Nissan Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I'm seeking some info from those who have owned or have experience with the late model Nissan Frontier. My father-in-law, having owned nothing but Nissans for his personal vehicles for the past 20yrs, is considering one for his "retirement" truck. FIL does have a lot of wheel time with one. A 2013-14 model year I believe, as his company provided work truck.

It would be in 4x4, king or crew cab format and would most likely be a 2015-17 used model. Biggest reason I think he likes them is price. Late model used prices for the mentioned seem to be in the low-mid $20K range.

I think there is a member here who had one with some pretty horrible assembly issues when new, etc.

Is the 4.0L, 5spd auto and drivetrain in general reliable? Rust? I realize fit/finish may be a bit Nissan.

Thanks!

Last edited:
We had two of them at work. They have a horrible turning radius, or at least these older ones did, and they drink fuel like a V8. Other than that, I don't think we have had any major issues with them.

I have a 2012 4X4 with the 4.0L V6 and wouldn't have any other truck.

I had a 2001 frontier with the 4-cylinder and MT that I gave to my daughter who drove it to 275,000+ miles until a woman on a cell phone hit her broadside and totaled it. The only maintenance was plugs, clutches (2) and throwout bearings.

Daughter now drives the 2003 PathFinder we gave her and with two boys, she drives it a lot. Of course she comes home for dad's oil changes and other maintenance.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
We had two of them at work. They have a horrible turning radius, or at least these older ones did, and they drink fuel like a V8. Other than that, I don't think we have had any major issues with them.

The worst turning radius ever haha. Also, the fuel economy isn't great, but from what I've seen with research and friends trucks about par for the midsize course. Looking up numbers on Fuelly.com show its not that far off even the newest trucks.

I've liked my 2016 for the 8,000 miles I've driven it. Its an old school truck, with enough modern options depending what you're looking for. The one thing I would warn for you or your FIL, is its not super comfortable. I'm just under 30, and pretty fit (for what its worth) so I can kind of deal with the comfort, but its sure not great for long trips. If your FIL is older, or has any physical ailments something like a crossover may be better. I have the Pro4X model, which may have the "best" version of the seats, and they're only OK comfort wise. I'm only 6'1"ish and I wish the seat moved further back also.

Most of the reliability issues were taking care of by 2010. Things like radiator/trans contamination, and timing chain guides.

2 main reasons I went with the frontier... price, and reliability.

I have a 2015 King cab V6. Gets around 19 in town 22 hwy. Lots of power. Keep the transmission and diff changed every 30,000 miles and it will be fine. No real complaints. Seems tough little truck. Does have a kinda rough idle but hear its common for the v6.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The worst turning radius ever haha. Also, the fuel economy isn't great, but from what I've seen with research and friends trucks about par for the midsize course. Looking up numbers on Fuelly.com show its not that far off even the newest trucks.

I've liked my 2016 for the 8,000 miles I've driven it. Its an old school truck, with enough modern options depending what you're looking for. The one thing I would warn for you or your FIL, is its not super comfortable. I'm just under 30, and pretty fit (for what its worth) so I can kind of deal with the comfort, but its sure not great for long trips. If your FIL is older, or has any physical ailments something like a crossover may be better. I have the Pro4X model, which may have the "best" version of the seats, and they're only OK comfort wise. I'm only 6'1"ish and I wish the seat moved further back also.

Most of the reliability issues were taking care of by 2010. Things like radiator/trans contamination, and timing chain guides.

2 main reasons I went with the frontier... price, and reliability.

thumbsup2.gif
Ours were/are also both Pro 4X models. One was purchased by an employee the other one is retired from company duty and was driven as a temp vehicle by the owner's son.

I own a 2015 Frontier S with the Preferred Package. The cheap seats have been fine for my 44-year-old, 6' tall, 190 lb frame in the 3 years and 44k miles I've owned it. I have a 32" inseam and I do not have the seat all the way back.

I own a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder that has the same drivetrain and inside dash and seats are the same and a good friend of mine has a 2013 Frontier Pro X4. My pathfinder has been extremely reliable I use it to tow my 5,000 lb camper and it does much better then my 2006 Toyota 4Runner. Anything 2010 and older stay away from there were two major issues the first one was the radiators were defective they had a line threw them that ran ATF threw to warm up the fluid and usually before about 80,000 miles the line would rot out or break sending coolant mixing with the trans fluid causing the trans to fail. (Not an issue past 2010 model year)

Second problem was the timing chain that was made by Borg Warrner long story short they would not replace the cutters that were making the chain often enough and the chain would cut threw the timing chain guides. (Fixed after the 2010 model year)

I find the seats fine no better or worse then several other SUV' I owned. The truck is solid! With one a solid fully boxed frame. Significantly stronger and much more rust resistant then any Toyota Tacoma frame. The inside of the Frontier is spartin and basic the fit and finish is "OK" mine and my friends is fine but not so inviting to the touch. The 4.0 V6 is a solid powerful motor and it will surprise you passing on the highway. Mine took some time to break in and loosen up like 10,000 miles. The trans can be a bit slow shifting at times but it works fine.

The Frontier is a good truck for the $ it is significantly less to purchase then a new Toyota Tacoma and other then the Toy having a better interior you are not giving up much as a matter of fact you are gaining in some areas.

And yes a current nuclear aircraft carrier has a better turning radius! .... LoL

preowned 4WD prices are crazy IMO, but totaling my 08 Colorado i needed a ride ASAP. been interested in the Frontiers for a while as my 08 colorado was a good truck but the 4 banger was weak even with a manual. shopping around i got a nice 2011 4.0 SV with a 6 spd manual for 19G's very nice condition + just under 28,000 miles. its only been 3 weeks but i am liking it a lot. checked the frontier forums for a lot of info + it seems the slush boxes had issues, not all but enough for a class action!! seems all vehicles today have some issues so its a [censored] shoot for sure. i didn't want a slush box or 4 full doors so that limited my choices, hopefully it will last!!!

Does the Frontier have the same seating position as the Tacoma, where the seat is rather low and your legs extend more forward than downward?

Originally Posted By: glock19
Does the Frontier have the same seating position as the Tacoma, where the seat is rather low and your legs extend more forward than downward?

I think its more "truck like" seating. You can raise and lower the seat, but my legs go more downward than forward like a car.

My HVAC guy used to have one and replaced it with a Ram. He said it got the gas mileage of a V-8, so it didn't do its intended purpose of saving fuel.

We have a 2014 Frontier SV. It's my wife's vehicle and she loves it. Replaced a 2005 Xterra for the Frontier. Basically the same vehicle with a different shell. Never had issues with the Exterra for 100k when we sold it for a great price.

The 4.0 is a great engine with none of the gimmicky stuff manufacturers are adding now. We've had the Frontier 3 1/2 years and it's been to the dealer one time for a reflash on an air bag module. It's not a luxury vehicle by any means but functional for it's intended purpose, and as a 6'1" man, I don't find it uncomfortable to drive at all.

The only negative I can think of are the brakes. They work but just feel a little weak in the pedal to me. Our Xterra had the same feel. Good luck in your search.

A coworker has had two in a row. I don't think he has had any issues with them. I've driven the second one, kind of drives like a tractor with the roughness from the V6, turning radius, etc. He recently drove a new Ridgeline and liked it a lot but couldn't justify the move at this time because he doesn't put that many miles on the truck.

Originally Posted By: glock19

The Frontier seating is much better then the Tacoma I have friends that own both and the Tacoma seating is one of the biggest complaints of the truck the Tacoma forums call it "On the floor seating" the Nissian Frontier seating is much higher up but does not compromise head room.

Yes the Frontier brakes are not the best they work fine but require more foot effort. They do last a long time though.

The Frontier traction control works quite well and is adjusted correctly it allows a good amount of wheel spin before kicking in and compared to my Toyota 4 Runner the Frontier is much safer pulling out in traffic on snow covered roads.

The Nissan Frontier could use better headlights they are not that great.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Is the 5spd AT in these trucks easily serviceable?

Yes there is a drain plug just replace the crush washer when you reinstall. No need to drop the pan as I am told the trans filter is not under the pan so just drain out a gallon of trans fluid then replace with new. As for fluid there are a few available at WM that work fine but off hand I can't recall what they are one is made by Castrol and one by Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Originally Posted By: JTK
Is the 5spd AT in these trucks easily serviceable?

Yes there is a drain plug just replace the crush washer when you reinstall. No need to drop the pan as I am told the trans filter is not under the pan so just drain out a gallon of trans fluid then replace with new. As for fluid there are a few available at WM that work fine but off hand I can't recall what they are one is made by Castrol and one by Valvoline.

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi Vehicle on our 2005 Xterra when doing a poor man's flush. Same transmission as the Frontier. On our current 2014 Frontier, I've done a poor man's flush and replaced it with Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Shifting great and no problems.

^ Nice. I haven't happened across any concerns with this Jatco 5spd auto. I'm guessing, like the whole truck, it's technology that's been around for awhile. Things I actually like in a truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back