Art-Loc Diamond-Shaped Interlocking Roof shingle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekend was an epic moment, it was a first, I conquered by fear of heights and climbed a ladder and was walking on my roof.

What I saw brought tears to my eyes and I might have to double my anxiety meds (coffee).

Valley was not metal but some sort of asphalt material and was rotting. Shingles looked like they were worn. I had to look up what I had and I found out I have
Art-Loc Diamond-Shaped Interlocking Shingle made by a local roofing company. They supposedly push this shingle very heavily. And it is supposed to have a 30 year warranty.

I never had to deal with such a situation, the feeling in the stomach is not a good one.

What should I do?
I called the roofer to come and replace the valley, we shall see how long they take to answer.

Are you sure he can just replace the valley by itself. Usually the shingles are all locked or interleaved from the bottom up.

I'm thinking most roofers can't be bothered with a small job.

These were popular when I lived in the mid West and were often used to shingle over existing 3-in-1 shingles that were worn out. The diamond lock shingles always had a reputation for leaking and poor wear.They were kind of "a poor man's roofing material" to be used when a homeowner could not afford a tear off and new roof and plywood where needed. Good luck with this.

Do you think you are still under warranty? It seems that the Art-Loc Diamond-Shaped Interlocking Shingle is made by Atlas Roofing Company exclusively for the Sheriff-Goslin franchise??

If the shingles are worn and the valley shot, you might be due for a new roof. Edit: a quick Google search seems to be in line with Boomer's thoughts.

Keep us posted.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Are you sure he can just replace the valley by itself. Usually the shingles are all locked or interleaved from the bottom up.

I did not think of that, wow, I mean oh no, the roof is only 12 years old
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Do you think you are still under warranty? It seems that the Art-Loc Diamond-Shaped Interlocking Shingle is made by Atlas Roofing Company exclusively for the Sheriff-Goslin franchise??

If the shingles are worn and the valley shot, you might be due for a new roof. Edit: a quick Google search seems to be in line with Boomer's thoughts.

Keep us posted.

Yikes

Is Atlas roofing any good? Are they junk like Tamco shingles?

These shingles are supposed to be 30 year shingles!

Local lumberyard owner told me that the 10 year, 20 year and 30 year shingles will not last that long. They may as well be called Good, Better and Best instead.
You won't get any warranty on 30 year shingles if they don't last 30 years.
Seems ripe for a class-action lawsuit, but....

Originally Posted By: stockrex
JC1 said:

I did not think of that, wow, I oh no, the roof is only 12 years old
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
[/quoteu]

My house was built in 2002 and I changed one section of singles (southern facing exposure back in 2015).

This year I replaced the front of the house. I did it myself both times. Last time had a few buddies help. It's on a two storey house.

Builders shingle's were Iko which are complete Garbage. I used Certainteed with an underlayment.

Hopefully you don't have any leaks and you can ride it out until spring at the least.

If the valley area is bad and the rest of the roof is good then maybe a roofer can cut out the valley and use a galvanized sheet metal that goes under the existing shingles. It doesn’t look as clean but this used to be the standard years ago. Easier to clean too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back