1995 Jeep Cherokee. What to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at potentially buying a 1995 XJ. 2 door 4x4 4.0L which I understand is a rare and desirable combo. Automatic trans. No modifications.

I have never had a Jeep and I'm not a "jeep person". My SUV knowledge starts and stops with 4runners.

What should I look for when going to see this truck? Its got 200k on it, supposedly little to no rust, and everything works.

I know about the door hinge rust, but what else should I be aware of. This truck is a bit of a fixer upper but I am looking for a project/daily driver type car so that's fine. Everything for the truck seems to be dirt cheap on RockAuto and they are plentiful in junkyards.

The headliner will probably start sagging soon, unless it likely already is.

It will develop a leak at the oil filter adapter.

Jeeps of this era also suffered from weak solder points, so expect intermittent electrical issues.

However these are awesome vehicles and are very reliable mechanically.

Doors falling off was a pain, but everything else is straight forward with this thing. My 95 gave me not troubles. Shocks went, an excuse form a lift, Dana turdy five leaked at the wheel, an excuse for an 8.8. Other than that all the things that happened to it I caused.

Is this going to be a daily driver or toy? If needed to live I’d say RUN. Straight off you’ll never get anywhere near the reliability of what you are used to. Engine at 200k just has to be near it’s end of life and need a rebuild . Tranny, uhhhhh Jeep has far from the best and that’s being kind. Unless it’s a newer replacement you can expect issues soon.
4 wd is decent in those really . Brakes tires average, gas mileage average.
We had 2 96 and 2000 grands Nice to get around in but boy I changed nearly everything on that 2000 to get 155 k from it. Engine and had servos replaced on the tranny. Lots of little stuff , more than anything I ever owned.
On the other hand I’ve seen a couple at 200 that were fine . I’m just not sure how honest the owners were with me about it’s past issues. Some seeem like that while many are not.
For a toy if you can get it cheap it could serve you well just don’t expect the reliability for a dependable car wspecially with that age and miles.

I had a Cherokee of about that vintage.

I would stay away from it. Most Cherokees seemed to last about 225k miles on them. This one is getting close. The elastomers and seals on mine started to go and that is what caused its demise. That was 15 years ago. Can't think 15 years more is going the seals any good.

Every Cherokee I looked at had the windshield washer fluid dashboard light lit.

Mine was spewing oil out of the RMS. I was commuting 60 miles each way and the Jeep was real shaky over 85mph. It was time to get something that didn't spew oil or shake at highway speeds.

But if you want something to go off road with, they are great! I used to take mine on the beach and have a great time. Even went down some trails here and there.

Also, if you're comfortable changing a RMS, then have at it!

Last edited:
Around here it'd be more desirable as a 4 door and a manual trans.

Originally Posted By: Driz
Engine at 200k just has to be near it’s end of life and need a rebuild .

At 200k, the 4.0 Inline 6 is just broken in.

Tranny, uhhhhh Jeep has far from the best and that’s being kind. Unless it’s a newer replacement you can expect issues soon.

XJ's have Toyota built Aisin Warner Transmissions. The AW-4 to be exact. Far cry from the weaker electronically controlled torquefiltes, and even then most issues are just electrical solenoids, easy fixes. [/quote]

I agree with you there.

We had 2 96 and 2000 grands Nice to get around in but boy I changed nearly everything on that 2000 to get 155 k from it. Engine and had servos replaced on the tranny. Lots of little stuff , more than anything I ever owned.
On the other hand I’ve seen a couple at 200 that were fine . I’m just not sure how honest the owners were with me about it’s past issues. Some seeem like that while many are not.
For a toy if you can get it cheap it could serve you well just don’t expect the reliability for a dependable car wspecially with that age and miles.

I've owned an 95 5.2, a 96 5.2 and now have a 99 5.9 ZJ. All depends on the maintenance. The 96 was great, only thing was wheel bearings and oil changes over a few years.
The 95 ate a map sensor, a IAC valve, had leaky rear main, and fuel pump went all in a year.
Currently on my 98, doing the plenum gasket, and already had to do IAC and MAP sensor.

Engine sensors are common issues and aftermarket ones aren't that good, better to use OEM mopar if you can.

At this age, if you can take care of repairs yourself, then get it. If youre planning on paying a shop to do repairs as they come along, not a good buy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99

Simple sensor change in the washer fluid reservoir. Or just jump the wires at the sensor and light goes out forever.

Mine was spewing oil out of the RMS. I was commuting 60 miles each way and the Jeep was real shaky over 85mph. It was time to get something that didn't spew oil or shake at highway speeds. [/quote]

Rear main seals are definitely an issue in vehicles that are 15-20 years old.
I bet if you replaced track bar and all the bushings in the suspension and got an alignment then it wouldn't be shaky on the highway.

Originally Posted By: mechjames
Originally Posted By: Leo99

Simple sensor change in the washer fluid reservoir. Or just jump the wires at the sensor and light goes out forever.

Mine was spewing oil out of the RMS. I was commuting 60 miles each way and the Jeep was real shaky over 85mph. It was time to get something that didn't spew oil or shake at highway speeds.

Rear main seals are definitely an issue in vehicles that are 15-20 years old.
I bet if you replaced track bar and all the bushings in the suspension and got an alignment then it wouldn't be shaky on the highway. [/quote]

That windshield washer fluid dashboard light used to drive my girlfriend (now my wife) nuts. "I can't believe you drive around with a dashboard light lit up." We has a lot of fun in the jeep.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm not opposed to doing any and all work myself in my garage. I have everything buy a lift and I have done mos tall types of repairs under the sun.

I'll be on the lookout for rust and RMS leaks.

Determine if it's SelecTrac (4FULL TIME, 4W PART TIME, N, 2WHI) or Command Trac (4WLO, 4WHIGH, N 2WHI)
Sis had an '88 2 door Pioneer and a '99 4 door Sport over a 15 year period.
Both had the NP242 (SelecTrac) and 4.0l 6. Pay no premium for any claimed "rarity".
The '88?.....RockAuto had rear bumper brackets for it! I fitted thick aluminum to patch the driver's foot well.
The '99 went off to college with 171K.
'99 was the last year for the distributor.
Cap, rotor, plugs and wires are best done at 80K unless some "super products" have come down the pike in the last 5 years.

Check for rusty door panels. Rust below the belt-line. RF needed a 24 ' X 7" oval patched in. I saw that repeatedly.
I did a VC gasket. It was expensive because it had 19 separate weird hard button gaskets for the bolts. No probs.
I don't know what style you'd use.
The brittle PCV hosing, elbows and VC grommets were cheap to replace and kept the engine compartment sparkling.
Unscrew the trannie drain and EXACTLY ONE GALLON of common Dex/Merc (NOT ATF+4) comes out. Very coool.

Those brake lines will rust some day. This comes from my neighbor's '95. What a mess.
A mech omitted the weather seal for the radio antenna. Nabe was plagued with an interior leak.

Sis' AC compressor exploded. A quality unit from NAPA was truly reasonable.
No shock absorber ever wore out or leaked! No heater fan or W-wiper probs.

See if "yours" has a pay-out reel work light mounted under the hood. The wire reaches the rear wheels!

Gluck

Love my 96 XJ. It's a pleasure to drive. Rides nicer than my new Cherokee and is a comfortable ride on the highway at 75-80MPH. Has 140k on it. Make sure the floors are good (got mine redone for $1200).

Otherwise, I'd count on doing a cooling system rebuild (rad, cap, water pump, tstat, hoses). Only leaks mine has are a slight oil leak (about a quart per OCI), a weepy freeze plug and a weepy front pinion seal.

I'd get it for sure.

Last edited:
There's not much wrong with this era Cherokee.

Cooling systems are problematic if they've been worked on by an idiot mechanic. They are prone to driveline vibrations at high-speed even with a balanced driveline. They are also prone to oil filter adapter o-ring leaks. That's about it. Sometimes they have HVAC blend door issues.

Otherwise a totally solid vehicle. Replace all fluids when you buy it, diffs included, because even something like a pinion bearing repair will total the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: mechjames
At this age, if you can take care of repairs yourself, then get it. If youre planning on paying a shop to do repairs as they come along, not a good buy.

Pretty much sums up my opinion.

I'd personally buy it.

Cooling system is a trouble spot. They’re often neglected and get real nasty. Fan clutches seem to die easily. Make sure electric fan works with a/c on.

The AW4 transmission is about as reliable as it can get. Grand Cherokees had bad transmissions.

As said above headliner will fall down.

Crank position sensors and cam position sensors are common problems on these, they’ll just randomly die. Rear leaf springs sag and RMS likes to leak. Mine continued to leak after I replaced it...

If you buy it, they like Champion copper spark plugs. Green coolant is fine, 10w30 oil of any kind is fine in the summer and 5w30 in the winter.

This is not a refined car, if you’re expecting a comfortable daily driver, this probably isn’t it. It’s good enough, but not that comfortable.

Ive had a 99 and 94 XJ before. Great vehicles , they just have their quirks. A two door is pretty rare, Id jump at a chance to get one. If your up for a bit of a challenge and have a vision of where you realistically want to do with it , jump on it. That vintage 4.0L is a good engine. Known issues are crank sensors, exhaust manifolds cracking, oil leaks from rear main and filter adapters. Cooling system , should be addressed at purchase. Honestly I would really refurbish the cooling system. Fan clutch,elec fan , water pump , hoses and radiator are gravy to do on these engines. Suspension usually needs new track bar and sway bar links to smooth out the ride. PM me if you need any help , looks like your in Vienna . Im up the street in oakton. Good luck with the XJ.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
I am looking for a project/daily driver type car

If you're looking for a project/toy, then yes, great vehicle to buy. A reliable daily driver...maybe not so much.

BTW, don't ever let the Jeep hear you call it a car.
smile.gif

Look for maintenance records. If the previous owner took care of it, then it is probably a good buy. If they did nothing but occasionally change the oil? Walk away. Also look for rust on the floor panels.

At that mileage the steering and suspension components will be loose. If you look after these Jeeps they can be great reliable vehicles. Mine has been one of the best vehicles I've owned. I've driven it in snow up to the bumper, I've towed numerous cars out of ditches, red line it almost daily, and with 180k miles it runs perfect. Cooling system, oil leaks, and rust are the weak links on these.

My previous Jeep, also a 2000 Cherokee, was the reason I walked away from an accident where a driver going 50 mph T-boned me in the driver's door.

Rust is the big one. If it has a Dana 35 rear axle (if it has ABS, it has a D35), check carefully for oil seepage where the axle tubes meet the centersection.

Check carefully for structural cracking-that is what did in my wife's 86. Top of A and B pillars, where the hatch hinges mount, and the front coil spring and control arm mounts.

Have a 2001 XJ. It has 260,000 on it and it sits parked because I'm selling it. Still runs strong. XJS are known for death wobble in the front end that can come from several different components but fixable snd not a deal killer.Valve cover gaskets just leak. Big item is underbody rust since it's uni body construction. If the trans is good and it should be and the compression is good, they are solid vehicles. Easy to work on and parts are cheap.

Last edited:
Is this going to be a daily driver or toy? If needed to live I’d say RUN. Straight off you’ll never get anywhere near the reliability of what you are used to. Engine at 200k just has to be near it’s end of life and need a rebuild . Tranny, uhhhhh Jeep has far from the best and that’s being kind. Unless it’s a newer replacement you can expect issues soon.

He's talking about an XJ platform and you're not. The trans in the xj is dolid. Your GCs trans were POS...different beast altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back