determine if ignition box needs is Hall effect....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an MSD MC2 motorcycle ignition box. Some say that I need a Hall Effect trigger to make it spark. I did have an MC3 hooked up to my 1989 Suzuki GSXR 750. I did have it hooked up to the oem neg wire for the triggering ,that came from the oem ignitor, the box where the oem pickup wires go to, and where the neg coil wires come out from. My ignitor (transistorized) went out and I want to know how to determine if the MC2 box will trigger off of the magnetic pickup or do I need to change it out and install a Hall Effect pickup.

The MC2 triggers off of points or the factory non-CDI igniter/amplifier only. If your factory igniter failed it must be repaired or replaced. The MC2 doesn't have the violet and green wires for a magnetic pickup like the 6A and other automotive ignition boxes.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
The MC2 triggers off of points or the factory non-CDI igniter/amplifier only. If your factory igniter failed it must be repaired or replaced. The MC2 doesn't have the violet and green wires for a magnetic pickup like the 6A and other automotive ignition boxes.
Joshua, how well do you know these boxes and setups? Wanna pick your brain a little.

So how can I connect the magnetic pickup, which is 2 wires, to the MSD box, which has 1 wire, to trigger each coil? I only want to try triggering 1 coil.

Sorry to not check back in. The box you're working with will not accept a magnetic trigger input without additional circuitry. If a magnetic trigger is all you have I would pick up a GM HEI module and coil. The HEI will fire off the 2-wire magnetic trigger and drive one coil. The page you found shows different wiring and some diodes that you will not need if you have 2 wires from your magnetic pickups. Why the Kawasaki guy provided 12V to one side of each pickup coil and connected the other to the HEI module I do not understand. If a magnet passes by the pickup coil then one side goes to the W terminal and the other to the G terminal. You'll get sparks even if these 2 wires are reversed, but the timing will not be right. Try it and if it runs bad swap the trigger wires.

Ok, so what I did was get a dual pickup coil setup from another bike. Each pickup has 2 wires coming out from it. So each pair of wires comes out, then goes straight to GM Module, then from module to MSD box? Each pickup has its own module and is wired independently? No resistors, diodes, etc.?

Last edited:
Yes, the pickup coils are wired directly to each HEI module. The HEI module has all the circuitry to accept the input from the pickup and drive the coil. No extra diodes or resistors required. You're not even going to use the MSD box unless you really want to. My bet is that the HEI modules give all the spark you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back