Volkswagen Group Tops List for Sales 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
However VW never has nor never will get the US market.
I could see VW taking compact/economy segment. Never gonna touch the SUVS/Trucks America makes. Also if VW was gonna be more successful they would have more dealers. At least in Kansas they are lacking in some larger towns.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I could see VW taking compact/economy segment. Never gonna touch the SUVS/Trucks America makes. Also if VW was gonna be more successful they would have more dealers. At least in Kansas they are lacking in some larger towns.

If you are talking full size SUVs then yess the Big 2 and Fiat have that market but the trend is towards smaller crossovers and this is a worldwide phenomena. Even in the US, it’s a growing segment each year.

The US automakers were forced by regulations to convert their buyers into SUV and truck buyers. America was always a car country and trucks were reserved to work detail. When I was young there was no such animal as a cowboy Cadillac.
The rest of the world likes cars for the most part and China will be if it already isn't the largest market segment. America has become for the most part a county of pickup and imported econobox owners through no fault of their own.

All these poor VW buying souls, if only they had sampled from the fountain of reliability aka Toyota. One can only hope they will see the light one day.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
All these poor VW buying souls, if only they had sampled from the fountain of reliability aka Toyota. One can only hope they will see the light one day.
lol.gif

I wish I had learned about Toyota before buying my VWs. All my VWs have CELs on and sound like diesel engines even though they are gassers. Would not buy another one again.
crazy.gif
15.gif
[/sarcasm]

Originally Posted By: Trav
The US automakers were forced by regulations to convert their buyers into SUV and truck buyers. America was always a car country and trucks were reserved to work detail. When I was young there was no such animal as a cowboy Cadillac.
The rest of the world likes cars for the most part and China will be if it already isn't the largest market segment. America has become for the most part a county of pickup and imported econobox owners through no fault of their own.

We may be in the same age group. Yes, when growing up there were no SUVs. Station wagons ruled for large families. The one car family was also the norm. Pickup trucks were work vehicles.

Over time as the two car family became the norm some families decided that a pickup was perfect for that second car. Station wagons dropped out of favor when Chrysler brought their minivan to the market. The other automakers followed. However there was a split. Families that enjoyed outdoor activities like camping, fishing, hunting went to SUVs. Over time the minivan popularity waned as the features of the SUV like higher driving position and getting around in snow caught on. Today’s crossovers are an extension of that as EPA regulations have driven the automakers to lighter and more fuel efficient crossovers.

It’s also a regional thing. In the Midwest, full size pickups rule. In the PNW for example, crossovers are huge. I would think So Cal is totally different.

Today we have crossovers in all size classes from sub compact to full size. Just my opinion here but I think the station wagon is coming back but in a crossover form. VW has had great success in this area. Subaru and Mazda also are doing well and looking at this. Expect Mazda to announce a new CX soon to be built at their new Alabama plant shared with Toyota. It will be a station wagon. The prototype pics I’ve seen are actually very nice.

https://www.motoring.com.au/mazda-cx-x-suv-confirmed-110065/

Sorry for rambling on.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Well said.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Never say never.

Exactly, the big 3 got a big wake up call when they cut corners and made let quality slide especially in the 80's and Honda, Nissan, Toyota started getting more and more market share. It was about the mid 90's before they finally woke up and started building better quality products. "Never say never" is good advice to heed. The rabbit never thought the hare could win the race either.

lol.gif

Says the guy with a Dodge and Mazda in his signature.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Tech819
lol.gif

Missed a few of them
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN

The sales of the Atlas appear to be taking off-

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/volkswagen/volkswagen-atlas/

I live near a top selling VW dealer and yet to see an Atlas anywhere but the VW lot or dealer plate attached. It’s a good effort by VW in a very crowded sea of excellent competition and best sellers.

VW also own Audi, Skoda, and SEAT. It seems they are getting over the diesel emissions scandal.

If they are planning to keep production facilities up to date, invest in R&D,and their workforce, as have Toyota, BMW, and other profitable car makers, they might avoid the fate of the American Big Three.

They went to the brink in the late 1960's, after years of clinging on to their outdated air cooled rear engined cars, but managed to turn itself around with some very good modern cars.
For a long time VW was the biggest importer of cars into the USA, overtaken by the Japanese in the 1970's when the 1973 oil crunch led to huge demand for reliable gas miser cars.

Claud.

Just watched the Documentary 'Dirty Money' on Netflix. A pretty good view of the VW scandal and how they have been using 'cheat devices' for awhile to get cars into america.

I would bet VW wasn't the only one that ever did some shenanigans of some sort or another they just happened to get caught and taken to the woodshed by what was IMO an overzealous regime at that time looking to make an example.
If that was today I seriously doubt it would have gone that far and again IMO rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back