Bourbon Cream

Status
Not open for further replies.
BT bourbon on its own has very strong caramel notes, almost like creme brulee. I can see it as an excellent base spirit for a cream liqueur. I don't care for the bourbon itself due to the sourness attributable to the yeast strain they use, but that would be masked by the sugar and dairy in this product.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I don't care for the bourbon itself due to the sourness attributable to the yeast strain they use, but that would be masked by the sugar and dairy in this product.

Good to know about the bourbon. Which one(s) do you prefer?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I don't care for the bourbon itself due to the sourness attributable to the yeast strain they use, but that would be masked by the sugar and dairy in this product.

Good to know about the bourbon. Which one(s) do you prefer?

That depends upon what you like. PM me some other whiskies you like and what you like about them and I'll recommend a few that I think you might like.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
Eagle Rare all the way. Super smooth.

Eagle Rare is basically BT with more age on it. Same distillery, same juice, but different and older barrels.

BT bourbon on its own...I don't care for the bourbon itself

Personally, I like BT. Goes to show we all have different tastes.

I have not tried any bourbon cream, but it sounds interesting.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
BT bourbon on its own...I don't care for the bourbon itself

Personally, I like BT. Goes to show we all have different tastes.

That's why I requested that SatinSilver give me some details before I make a recommendation. I have been working on my spirits knowledge over the years and have tried many things. I like a number of bourbons, but there are several different styles involved. What I like today depends upon my mood. But, I wouldn't recommend, say, Booker's to someone who was a big fan of Four Roses. Neither would I recommend Bowman Brothers to someone who is a huge fan of Jim Beam Black or Evan Williams. There are so many bourbons out there right now the fun never ends.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Never had Bowman Bros. What's it like?

The reason I mentioned it will become clear as it's related to this thread. The full name of the product is "Bowman Brothers Pioneer Spirit Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey." Distillate (white dog) from Buffalo Trace is shipped to Abraham Bowman distillery in Virginia where it's distilled a third time (bourbon is normally double distilled). Bowman is part of the Sazerac group, as is Buffalo Trace. It is then aged for about six years before being bottled as this expression at 90 proof. It has a lighter profile, more vanilla, floral, and fruit notes than other bourbons. It's actually one of my favorites. Either the extra distillation or aging in Virginia seems to kill the sour notes that I don't like in BT. It's about $27/bottle here. Good value!

That depends upon what you like. PM me some other whiskies you like and what you like about them and I'll recommend a few that I think you might like.

Mostly drink craft IPA beers. Kind of new to all the bourbon/whiskey stuff. Although my mom wanted some bourbon around the holidays and I picked up some Makers 46. It's ok. I do like Jameson from just doing a shot at a funeral. Just want something smooth with no bite to it with some complex layers of taste would be nice.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Mostly drink craft IPA beers. Kind of new to all the bourbon/whiskey stuff. Although my mom wanted some bourbon around the holidays and I picked up some Makers 46. It's ok. I do like Jameson from just doing a shot at a funeral. Just want something smooth with no bite to it with some complex layers of taste would be nice.

Well, now we're talking. I've actually had a hopped whiskey from Seattle that's pretty interesting, speaking of beers. I am also a fan of the IPA style. Maker's Mark is a wheated bourbon, which means that the minority flavoring grain used is wheat instead of rye. Knowing that you like that style, i recommend you try any of the following.

Larceny - a wheated bourbon made by Heaven Hill
Bowman Brothers Pioneer Spirit Virginia Straight - since it is distilled a total of three times (like most Irish whiskies) it's nice and mellow
Four Roses (Yellow Label)
W.L. Weller - another wheated bourbon from Sazerac, parent company of Buffalo Trace
George Dickel - No. 8 or No. 12 - heavy dose of corn, the "other Tennessee whiskey," super mellow and substantially more complex than JD

There are many good ones out there. Most of these cost around $20/bottle with Bowman Brothers coming in around $27. That's Dallas/Fort Worth prices.

BTW, even though George Dickel, like Jack Daniel's, calls itself "Tennessee Whiskey" it meets all the legal requirements to be called bourbon. There are obvious marketing advantages from differentiating oneself from that crowded market.

There's one called Coole Swan that I've been wanting to try. A review I saw of it claimed it was the richest cream liqueur in existence.

mini_w-liq_coo2.jpg

I like Baileys as a light after-dinner dessert. Just a shot glass worth to sip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back