Pennzoil Platinum - Black crud in new oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st off, long time lurker and I think this might be my first post. Thanks BITOG for all the good info over the years.

So-

Bought my first new vehicle ever, a 2018 Wrangler JK. After 2 OCIs with PYB, finally switching to syn @ 5k miles. Decided to give PP a try, and did an oil change this past weekend. After filling the crankcase, looked in the bottle and noticed a bunch of black residue at the bottom of the jug. Cut the jug open hoping it was just a blemish in the plastic, but it turned out to be loose material. I made a little video too.

I found some threads about the additive package falling out of suspension, but this looks pretty different. Can anyone shed some light? VIDEO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZjUb84fmHY&t=148s

39989412481_bd0f96a1dd_b.jpg

Perfectly normal, it's a bit of additive fall out. Try shaking and pouring the oil next time, either way nothing to worry about. I've seen that in every brand of oil I've tried over the years. Pennzoil's yellowed colored bottles seem to make it stand out a bit more than some other brands using darker or black bottles.

Welcome to BITOG! Where did you buy the oil? I've seen several people post the additive falling out of suspension in Pennzoil. It's a great oil. Not necessarily bad, just shake the bottle. Part No. 90915-10003Pennzoil sheared in my gen 2 Montero, may want to get a UOA. Depends on your driving. I do some heavy 4x4 at times @ high elevations. In addition to being 23 years old.

Thanks for posting ApexHunter.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Normal. Coworker and myself both use PP or PUP, see it in every 5qt jug.

We'll dump about 4qts into engine the shake the bleep out of it, then pour the rest.

Yep those yellow jugs will show any residue pretty clearly. If you did the same test with another other brand you would come up with similar results.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
This is why I tell people to go with Mobil or Valvoline

I've seen it in their bottles too, and I'm not alone.

I prefer my Pennzoil Plantinum shaken, not stirred.
smile.gif

I never notice. Have gallons in the garage and guess I will start the shaking thing.

Geez - then no telling what's in the bottom of Castrol Edge (black color jug) !! ... All kidding aside , no matter the oil brand , I give a new jug just before an oil change a good shake for several minutes to blend everything and get anything on the jug bottom back into suspension .

Really appreciate all the responses here. Since the fallout was so dark in color, I assumed for sure it had to be bad stuff. Some of the images I found online showed the additive as being lighter in color.

Being new to the yellow bottle, it makes sense that I just never noticed it in all the other oils I've used over the years. Amsoil SS, RT6 and GC for a long time - All dark bottles.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Welcome to BITOG! Where did you buy the oil? I've seen several people post the additive falling out of suspension in Pennzoil. It's a great oil. Not necessarily bad, just shake the bottle. Part No. 90915-10003Pennzoil sheared in my gen 2 Montero, may want to get a UOA. Depends on your driving. I do some heavy 4x4 at times @ high elevations. In addition to being 23 years old.

Thanks for posting ApexHunter.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm a big fan of the Montys. I've heard they're great off roaders.
I bought this PP from Wal-Mart.
Based off your suggestion, I'll send a sample off to Blackstone here to see how it fares. The 3.6 Pentastars run pretty dang hot, and while I take good care of my vehicles I'm not so easy on them at times.

This may well not be the additives here. Shannow posted a particulate count on brand new oil and it had a LOT of stuff that was greater than 20 micons big. New oil has a lot of "stuff" in it. I think it was described as dirt in that thread. Thus... The need for a good filter even with brand new "clean" oil. The particulate analysis was done with the insignia of the big construction equipment manufacturer Cat on it. It was really surprising to say the least.

I stopped worrying about it when it seemed to appear in many/most of the PP jugs that I've bought over time. I believe there's a thread on here that references it being a "by-product of their production cycle" and ( assuming you're talking about the same thing ) it doesn't really shake back into suspension. It's more affixed to the bottom of the jug.

Well stated. By-products of production sounds correct. These "by-products" of production are far more numerous than one would first think and are much larger as well. All oils have these by-products in them. Another reason why a good high efficiency filter is important.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I stopped worrying about it when it seemed to appear in many/most of the PP jugs that I've bought over time. I believe there's a thread on here that references it being a "by-product of their production cycle" and ( assuming you're talking about the same thing ) it doesn't really shake back into suspension. It's more affixed to the bottom of the jug.

Don't understand your reasoning. Seems to go:-

"They all have unknown black crud, (which is probably dirt) in them so it must be ok."

How about

"They all have unknown black crud in them (which is probably dirt) so I'll never buy the stuff ever again."?

That would seem to make a bit more sense.

(A "by-product of their production cycle"??? Seriously?)

Last edited:
Interesting. Are these by-products from the GTL process or lack of filtering in their blending processes?

Last edited:
I believe the symptom has been reported here long before the GTL stocks were the norm for them. I just never really worried too much about it, at least any more than every other thing we worry about obsessively here on BITOG.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back