Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it is the best oil, but apparently it is the smartest oil on the shelf. It features those "intelligent molecules". LOL!!

Great oil. I’ve used it, and many others have. It’s probably the best deal for synthetic right now.

That’s what I have in the Santa Fe at the moment. Nothing bad to report. It’s a good deal lately. I would use it again if I didn’t already have a bunch of Pennzoil Platinum in the garage.

Castrol GTX Magnatec is a good oil. I have used it couple of times. 17.88 for 5QT jug is a good price.
Pennzoil is coming with a deal starting 1st Feb. $10 MIR on 5QT jug. Walmart normally has the best price on Penn Platinum. $10 MIR will make it cheaper than Castrol GTX Magnatec.

Current Fill in my Rogue

This oil has been gabbed about all over this forum. The Semi syn showed stellar wear #s on for turbo engine(s) - if that means anything to you. The Synthetic IIRC has been AVERAGE.

My experience was (on the picky qr25DE Nissan motor):
The Semi syn Magnetec was a superb fair-weather oil, but the synthetic did NOT allow my engine to make high rpm ppower/torque for whatever reason (likely high shear, low-ish viscosity.

The best oil for warm season Ive run ( last summer) is 10w30 QSUD NON DEXOS - - BY FAR!

I will not run Maggy Syn again - until I forget I said that in the distant future
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Any comments on this oil ? Price seems to be good .

Says it is full synthetic with Dexos license .

Remember "FULL Synthetic" does not mean synthetic, it means majority group III - which is dino!

Originally Posted By: BKTX

Pennzoil is coming with a deal starting 1st Feb. $10 MIR on 5QT jug. Walmart normally has the best price on Penn Platinum. $10 MIR will make it cheaper than Castrol GTX Magnatec.

Where did you get this info? I didn't see anything online. That would be a great deal.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka

Where did you get this info? I didn't see anything online. That would be a great deal.
Do not buy Pennz before Feb. 1, 2018. http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions...XRpb25hbDE4Lw== so you can take advantage of the rebate.

Got it on Black Friday at O'Reilly for about $10 / 5qt after rebate, finally found a way to use up those rebate gift card from the past. 5w20 synthetic huh? I guess I'll use it in place of 0w20 in warm climate.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Remember "FULL Synthetic" does not mean synthetic, it means majority group III - which is dino!

Do you prefer a Group IV API SH or a Group III Dexos1 Gen2?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Do not buy Pennz before Feb. 1, 2018. http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions...XRpb25hbDE4Lw== so you can take advantage of the rebate.

All I see is save $10 when you bring it in for an oil change at participating locations. Nothing for DIYs.

All I see is save $10 when you bring it in for an oil change at participating locations. Nothing for DIYs.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change/promotion-9.html might be a better link, without the frame-session info in the URL.
Note Pennzoil doesn't have a link on their promotions page to the upcoming Feb. 1 promotion yet, but it exists as a web page right now.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Current Fill in my Rogue

This oil has been gabbed about all over this forum. The Semi syn showed stellar wear #s on for turbo engine(s) - if that means anything to you. The Synthetic IIRC has been AVERAGE.

My experience was (on the picky qr25DE Nissan motor):
The Semi syn Magnetec was a superb fair-weather oil, but the synthetic did NOT allow my engine to make high rpm ppower/torque for whatever reason (likely high shear, low-ish viscosity.

The best oil for warm season Ive run ( last summer) is 10w30 QSUD NON DEXOS - - BY FAR!

I will not run Maggy Syn again - until I forget I said that in the distant future
smile.gif

The QR25DE is a picky engine? Please explain that. And perhaps define picky.

If you were unable to get proper power out of the engine, I think you may have had other issues.

Last edited:
Magnetech is one of the best value for oils on the market these days. I have used it forthe past 3 years on my Ford pickup and my daughters 2010 Focus in fact I just changed it out ta Christmas and with a 9,000 something oils chnge interval the oil was barely below the full mark on the dip stick.

I use it and think that it is a great oil for the price. I've not done any UOA's so it's really irrelevant what I "think". It does have a good price and meets Dexos certs which is why I use it.

Not to discount what ARCOgraphite says about his Rogue, but my experience is that I've not noticed any difference in our Rogue with the same engine. Same power as before with Mobil 1 if that means anything at all. I respect ARCO and believe what he is saying about his vehicle. I just have a different experience that's all.

Last edited:
Castrol GTX Magnatec is a good oil. I have used it couple of times. 17.88 for 5QT jug is a good price.

Well that's great if you can get Pennzoil to honor their rebate.

What would be the Pros and Cons of this Castro Dexos license vs PP Dexos license full sys in 5w-30 for a GDI Turbo motor?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Well that's great if you can get Pennzoil to honor their rebate.

I had a horrible time with Pennzoil's online rebate pages, but I did get my $10 rebate for the PP I bought for my daughter's car fairly quickly once I finally managed to get my info submitted.
The check sat in our kitchen for a long time and my wife finally deposited it a bit more than a week before the 60 day life of the check was set to end...guess I need to figure out doing deposits by phone as I almost never go to the bank and even visit ATMs much less than I used to.

Originally Posted By: jgscott
What would be the Pros and Cons of this Castro Dexos license vs PP Dexos license full sys in 5w-30 for a GDI Turbo motor?

The PP would probably end up being even cheaper than the Castrol if you get the rebate.
I don't know much about the d1G2 Castrol, but we did have a discussion about d1G2 PP vs. Pennzoil Gold a while back (the Gold does not get the rebate!).
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4549199/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back