Mobil and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just wondering with Mobil coming out with Annual Protection, the lowering cost of their Extended synthetic if this is the reason that Pennzoil is having their sale on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and if the $24.97 price might be a sign that it will become more available at a lower price than it has been. I am not sure if I will take advantage of the online sale or not as Mobil and others seem to provide many of the same benefits of cleaning and wear protection.

Lowered cost of EP??? Where??? Haven't seen it here yet. It's still about $28 for 5 quarts of 5W-30

Matt, just about any of the major brand synthetic oils will perform identically if you are following a set-mileage or OLM-dictated OCI. I'm a Pennzoil guy, tig1 is a Mobil guy. Both of us get similar results but each of us gets that "feel-good" that we are looking for.

If you are stretching OCIs, get a UOA to guide your oil choice. tig1 sticks to 10k and is happy, I have stretched my OCIs past 17k and like PUP... there's many ways to skin this cat.
smile.gif

Either of those choices are great.

Question for you all...is Mobil's Extended Performance = Pennzoil Ultra Platinum; and Mobil 1 = Pennzoil Platinum?

To the OP, what OCIs are you planning on running?

Maybe Pennzoil is trying to get rid of old stock Ultra.
Ultra 5w30 and 5w20 has not been updated to the new dexos1 Gen2 spec like plain old Pennzoil Platinum has already.
Shell Helix Ultra SN Plus (for most of the planet) is dexos1 Gen2 right now, so maybe Pennzoil will give us U.S. Ultra in 0w20 soon (???).

What's interesting is that Pennzoil Plat (PP) (non-Ultra) in the current dexos1 Gen2 formula, is now a high-boron oil like the dexos1 Gen1 Pennz Ultra is. (I've always credited the extra boron treatment in Ultra as the distinguishing cleaner-piston ingredient that Ultra had over PP in the past.)

Maybe Pennzoil is trying to find a way to distinguish Ultra from PP now that the dexos1 Gen2 thing is here.
We'll see what happens.
Right now you're getting PP with a big slug of boron like what the current Ultra has, so just buy the newer PP dexos1 Gen2.

And Pennzoil starts a $10 mail-in rebate Feb. 1, so there is a lot of reason to just get PP dexos1 Gen2, especially if its cheaper than Ultra and you have a DI or DI+turbo engine (LSPI killer).

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

And Pennzoil starts a $10 mail-in rebate Feb. 1, so there is a lot of reason to just get PP dexos1 Gen2, especially if its cheaper than Ultra and you have a DI or DI+turbo engine (LSPI killer).

I was wondering if they were going to start that on Feb 1st. Don't know were you got the news, but thanks!!!!

Maybe Pennzoil is trying to get rid of old stock Ultra.
Ultra 5w30 and 5w20 has not been updated to the new dexos1 Gen2 spec like plain old Pennzoil Platinum has already.
Shell Helix Ultra SN Plus (for most of the planet) is dexos1 Gen2 right now, so maybe Pennzoil will give us U.S. Ultra in 0w20 soon (???).

What's interesting is that Pennzoil Plat (PP) (non-Ultra) in the current dexos1 Gen2 formula, is now a high-boron oil like the dexos1 Gen1 Pennz Ultra is. (I've always credited the extra boron treatment in Ultra as the distinguishing cleaner-piston ingredient that Ultra had over PP in the past.)

Maybe Pennzoil is trying to find a way to distinguish Ultra from PP now that the dexos1 Gen2 thing is here.
We'll see what happens.
Right now you're getting PP with a big slug of boron like what the current Ultra has, so just buy the newer PP dexos1 Gen2.

Think it was wemay who posted the link (and apologies if it was you), there was a study referenced here not too long ago that suggested strongly that the magnesium based detergents that seem to be partially replacing others based on calcium in d1G2 oils had an unfortunate side effect of disrupting the MoS2-ZDDP synergy that helps protect metal surfaces in engines. The solution reported involved boron-based dispersants (?) that helped to stabilize the protective layer in the presence of the magnesium compounds.

I hope I didn't botch the details here (can't find the appropriate thread), but I suspect that we're going to tend to see doses of boron along with the reduced calcium and increased magnesium in VOAs of d1G2 oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Lowered cost of EP??? Where??? Haven't seen it here yet. It's still about $28 for 5 quarts of 5W-30

I just saw it this past Saturday for $25 at Wal-Mart here in Austin . Not much of a price difference but I think what I am trying to say is that Mobil is having a cause and effect on Pennzoil and how they handle Pennzoil Ultra in the market . I thinking we will start seeing it more available and at a price range similar to Mobil Extended Performance . Of course as mentioned they could be just trying to get rid of old stock.

Virtus that is very good information and you might be right with the Pennzoil Platinum now being Gen 2 it might be the better choice between the two. I have 3 vehicles one that is just a daily driver that gets an OCI every 5k and has had a variety of different brand oils. The other two are more the long distance traveling cars and currently both have Mobil Extended Performance and which was done in October and will probably get changed in late August prior to a trip to New Mexico. I actually enjoy doing my own oil change.

Originally Posted By: BKTX
lowegian, here are Pennzoil deal details.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions...XRpb25hbDE4Lw==

Thanks for the link. I was checking the promotions. Notice that their website won't link to your page.

Also...
"To receive a $2 mail-in rebate per quart, limit two (2) rebates per person, household or address (physical and email):"

Am I reading it correctly when it looks like only 2 rebates = $4 max?

Opps, just see the $10 per quart.
So it must mean a $20 max.

Last edited:
lowegian, if you go to Amazon or order online from Wal-Mart they are selling the Ultra for $24.97 for 5 quart jug. Just FYI

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
lowegian, if you go to Amazon or order online from Wal-Mart they are selling the Ultra for $24.97 for 5 quart jug. Just FYI

Yes, seen that. Picked up 3 jugs of 5w30 pup about a month ago.
Walmart online does not give a 5w30 PP but I seen the new dexos 1 gen 2 5w30 PP on the shelf. Sale of about $22.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
so maybe Pennzoil will give us U.S. Ultra in 0w20 soon (???).
I'm confused... I've had PUP 0W-20 (dark gray label) in my sump for several OCI now?
Read the front of my sentence you cut off in the quote where I say its dexos1 Gen2. Since we don't have a dexos1 Gen2 Ultra yet in the U.S., and the rest of the planet currently has dexos1 Gen2 Shell Helix Ultra SN Plus 0w20, then maybe the U.S. will get a re-labelled dexos1 Gen2 Shell Helix Ultra SN Plus 0w20 as Pennzoil Ultra 0w20. Other Ultra weights in 5w20 and 5w30 don't have a Helix Ultra global dexos1 Gen2 yet, if ever... we'll have to see what SOPUS does with the U.S. Pennzoil line-up.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I suspect that we're going to tend to see doses of boron along with the reduced calcium and increased magnesium in VOAs of d1G2 oils.

Boron is bigger now. Ultra always had a lot, I think to keep junk from sticking on to pistons, among other uses. And Exxon-Mobil was discussing it: "For lubricating oil formulations containing at least one detergent and at least one boron-containing compound in accordance with this disclosure, an engine exhibits greater than about 50%, preferably greater than about 75%, and more preferably greater than about 95%, reduced low speed pre-ignition, based on normalized low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) counts per 25,000 engine cycles, engine operation at 2000 revolutions per minute ( PM) and brake mean effective pressure (BMEP) at 18 bar, as compared to low speed pre-ignition performance achieved in an engine using a lubricating oil containing a minor component other than the at least one detergent and the at least one boron- containing compound, and in an amount other than the amount of the at least one detergent and the at least one boron-containing compound, in the lubricating oil." -- https://www.google.com/patents/EP3140378A1?cl=en

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
I was wondering if they were going to start that on Feb 1st. Don't know were you got the news, but thanks!!!!
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions...XRpb25hbDE4Lw==

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
so maybe Pennzoil will give us U.S. Ultra in 0w20 soon (???).

I'm confused... I've had PUP 0W-20 (dark gray label) in my sump for several OCI now?

You are very fortunate. I have never seen Ultra in 0w-20, only 5w-30. It seems to be a hit or miss availability with Ultra depending on where you live. There is online of course but even so it usually shows as Out Of Stock.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Either of those choices are great.

Question for you all...is Mobil's Extended Performance = Pennzoil Ultra Platinum; and Mobil 1 = Pennzoil Platinum?

To the OP, what OCIs are you planning on running?

PP= MSS. Both grp 3 AFAIK.

Thanks Tig1. At least base oil wise but not necessarily additives? Just curious...am Mobil and Pennzoil users.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You are very fortunate. I have never seen Ultra in 0w-20, only 5w-30. It seems to be a hit or miss availability with Ultra depending on where you live. There is online of course but even so it usually shows as Out Of Stock.

I check Walmart's website several times a month for stock. Any time PUP is in stock on WM website, Amazon will price match the $24.97 price. It's actually uncanny that it is routinely out of stock on Amazon, and any time Walmart has it, so does Amazon?

The last time I bought it from WM they showed 24.97 for a case of 3... so I bought two "cases". Only two jugs showed up and I argued my receipt showed a 3-pk for $25, so I got 10 quarts of PUP for $16 and change!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back