Cut open the oil filter...what the??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Team, I just bought a 2005 Yamaha FZ1 with about 12,000 miles on her. Just did my first oil change, and as I always do on any oil change, I cut open the filter.

What am I seeing here? Also, the filter element is hard and kinda crusty- very difficult to pull apart. Not really sure how oil could 'filter' through it.

I've cut open maybe 50 different filters but this just doesn't look right?
Or does it? What do you guys think??

(ps- got the filter cutter from Harbor Freight for like 9 bucks or something- cuts open a filter in under 45 seconds!)

Last edited:
This looks normal. The OEM branded filter on my 2010 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 was the same.

Valvoline 10w40 from what I understand.

Not too sure what he ran over the 9 years he owned the bike.
Not sure how long that filter had been in there either.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Those are nice filters, its made that way.

Ok, whew! What a relief! Yes, with all the responses coming in, it does look like this is perfectly normal. Thanks man!

Hmmm, looks like French Toast sticks.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Hmmm, looks like French Toast sticks.
smile.gif

My thoughts exactly, I would have been pulling chunks off and chowing down if somebody had left that in the break room at work.
;^)

None of my advanced toyota engines would run right unless it had one of these japon denso filters on it. The VVT wouldn't work right AT ALL with the Thai denso service part. These are OE service on Japan Lexus - or used to be around 2005.

Denso Japan filter, I still have someToyotas left from my purchase a few years ago. Looks like no bypass valve. The ones I have use a bypass valve exactly like the Purolator "45 rpm record adapter" kind. If that is the original filter, it shows how very little dirt these kind of engines make.

Originally Posted By: gorilla

Not sure how long that filter had been in there either.

Going by the color of the oil in the pan and the cleanliness of the filter I would guess it doesn't have a lot of miles on it.
Take a look at some oil furnace filters, some use a very similar design.

I'm gonna give cause for some of you to envy me. Not many, but a handful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back