Rear Diff fluid for 99 durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've got about 90K on my second rear differential so I try to be vigilant about changing the fluid. I've been changing it about every 30K and am overdue by that measure for another change. I had been running amsoil long life 75-90 but have been reading that severe gear might be a better choice given the limited capacity. Also seen some stuff saying that 75-90 might be too light after the SAE90 split and to go with 75-110. Does that sound right? It is a 5.9L with an open diff. I rarely do any towing, it is usually just daily driving. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

How many miles did you get on the first differential and was that fluid ever changed? I’m thinking you are gun shy on this. You probably don’t have to change your diff fluid for another 100,000 miles but do what you like. Certainly you arn't under “severe” conditions.

I like Motul Gear 300, it made the tranny and rear diff in my Subaru smooth and quiet (much more so than several other fluids). Severe Gear is great as well, along with Delvac.

It's hard to go really wrong with just about any synthetic gear lube these days. Find one that's available and fits your budget, change at 30k, and don't sweat it. Too thick a gear lube can lead to bad things as well. You're not severe service.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
How many miles did you get on the first differential and was that fluid ever changed? I’m thinking you are gun shy on this. You probably don’t have to change your diff fluid for another 100,000 miles but do what you like. Certainly you arn't under “severe” conditions.

I bought it with a broken differential, so had the new one put in as soon as I took ownership of it. I think the first one lasted about 90K. You are right, it likely is overkill. I don't mind changing the fluid, peace of mind I guess. I think my last change was probably 6+ years ago.

Originally Posted By: Moose016
Hello,

I've got about 90K on my second rear differential so I try to be vigilant about changing the fluid. I've been changing it about every 30K and am overdue by that measure for another change. I had been running amsoil long life 75-90 but have been reading that severe gear might be a better choice given the limited capacity. Also seen some stuff saying that 75-90 might be too light after the SAE90 split and to go with 75-110. Does that sound right? It is a 5.9L with an open diff. I rarely do any towing, it is usually just daily driving. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Amsoil SS 75W110 KV @40*C is 140 cSt, falling into 135-165 cSt ISO 150 grade;
Amsoil Long Life 75W90 KV @40*C is 130 cSt, and
Amsoil SS 75W90 KV @40*C is 102 cSt , falling into 90-110 cSt ISO 100 grade.
Your plan on 75W110 is good.
No, there is no such thing as too thick a gear oil causing problem in a differential.It reduces the goo instead.

I've run Severe Gear 75W-90 in my '95 Dakota's OE tranny and rear end for the past 40K, and Mobil 1 75w-90 every 30K miles before that (the truck has 221K miles on it now). I think I'll change those fluids again at 230K, which will about 50K on the Amsoil. The truck runs fine, and my gear lubrication choices don't keep me up at night.

Since you are not towing then run a 75w90

I have a 2007 Dakota V8 and run 75w90, I think supertech, in the diff.

Mobil 1, Pennzoil, RedLine, Valvoline, any of these synthetic 75W90's could be used with 100% confidence.
10.gif

Awesome, thanks for all the feedback. Now I'm kind of swinging back to Mobil 1 for ease of access, I think I had read a couple disparaging things about their gear oil, but not sure it was justified. No super strong feelings for Amsoil over Mobil 1 in this applicaiton? Probably just asked a loaded question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back