Mobil 1 Annual Protection Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil did a testimonial ad for Mobil 1 Annual Protection. It was a 2015 Chev truck but didn’t say the weight or which engine.
They ran vehicle to 500,000 miles and then did 20,000 miles towing. The oil changes were at 20,000 miles.
The oil is available in 0-20, 5-20 and 5-30. Sorry, no 10-40 for the High Viscosity guys.

The engine was torn down and Mobil claims it was like an engine with 50,000 miles. Check the Mobil 1site.

SF

Last edited:
Real life what is the % of people that drive enough to put 500,000 miles on a passenger vehicle and then how many people buy a long life oil and filter and change them at 5,000 miles thinking they aredoing good? In the middle 1990s I met a courrier running a 4 cyl nissan pick up with almost 500,000 miles on it running Amsoil and Amsoil oil filters. He did 25,000 mile oil change intervals and changing the oil filter half way through the oil change interval No bypass filters.

Typical of courier and taxi engine life. Not 10K miles per years with many cold starts and stop and go and sumps not up to temp.

A stout oil with long milage drain intervals is the way to go on a vehicle with constant usage.
Unless they "unconditionally" warranty any pass car engine against wear out and failure for 500K miles ignore the typical parlour sales tricks.

I think the point is that they got 20,000 miles on the changes. 1/3 of that would be 6700 miles, where my oil monitor runs down to 0. Would changing at 6700 miles give a person some confidence in the oil in order to do cold starts and stop and go driving?

SF

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...tor-oil-results
is the link.
Like the other official website videos, the black pistons are missing from view.
Rings didn't get stuck in 500,000 miles I wouuld assume though. They don't like to talk about ringlands.
Snagglefoot, 0w20 is the spec for the 5.3L V8 in the work-truck 2015 Silverado 1500, assuming they used that weight.

Last edited:
I am a fan of Mobil1 so don’t misunderstand me, but accelerated oil tests like this one that XOM presumably would have had to use in order to get results in a reasonable time, always show remarkable results regardless of oil used. The cars are run so much, usually ‘round and ‘round on a track, that the oil only stops circulating at oil changes and the engine is never shut off long enough for it to run off internals, never accumulates any water and never even experiences starting a cold engine.

I remember talking with a limo driver in Toronto way back in the early 1980s. He said their Buicks’ engines lasted 300,000 miles, an unheard of number in those days... and that would have been on conventional oil. He said they never turned them off. It was a vivid demonstration of how much engine wear occurs on startup vs. running.

Further evidence of the importance of oil flow at all times is provided by Honda’s choice of oil filter specs. I think we would all agree that Honda knows a thing or two about engines, yet the oil filters they specify, put their name on and sell catch a lot less dirt in first pass tests than higher line Frams. They also do relatively poorly at catching the smallest particles, yet their engines are known for lasting longer than most of their competitors.’ Numbers like these suggest that Honda’s own tests might show that engine health depends more on a quick flow of pretty well filtered oil at start up, than on oil having every tiny speck removed as soon as possible regardless of how much it might delay the flow of filtered oil. That would jibe with the limo driver’s report. So we might be barking up the wrong tree looking at first pass filtration percentages vs. flow rates.

One thing we do know for sure though, is that engines that are almost never shut off last many more miles than those that sit.

One of my late Uncles owned and operated Chevy or GMC truck / trailer hauling grain to the coast . He did most of his own maintenance . Usually got 300,000 miles out od a gasoline engine , back in the 1960's - 1970's .

Dino oil on long OCI with BIG oil filters . Often operating at WOT .

He said the long engine life was due to the over the road long hauls . And since he owned the truck , he treated it right .

I think it was a 366 ci engine . Which is in the 396 - 427 famaly of Chevy engines .

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
How many of those miles were in test cells with no real
road miles involved?

My 2¢

That's my beef with these high mileage tests where the vehicle is running on a dyno inside a climate controlled room. We've already touched upon the lack of real cold starts but another factor that helps longevity is the lack of dust/dirt on an indoor test, as that's a big factor in engine wear.

My question is does the Annual Protection do well for those that drive in stop and go traffic, short distance and with the combination of excessive heat tends to make these some of the worst driving conditions for a vehicle. I have read that this type of driving is very hard on an engine and tends to create carbon build up and sludge. I have read and had many people tell me that it is better not to do extended oil changes when the above describes your normal driving habits .

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
My question is does the Annual Protection do well for those that drive in stop and go traffic, short distance and with the combination of excessive heat tends to make these some of the worst driving conditions for a vehicle. I have read that this type of driving is very hard on an engine and tends to create carbon build up and sludge. I have read and had many people tell me that it is better not to do extended oil changes when the above describes your normal driving habits .

Short distance doesn't create excessive heat. The oil stays too cool, and this can cause sludge over months of it. I don't think there would be any advantage in using a full-synthetic if short distances are the norm. Synthetic base oils have the biggest benefit in high-temperatures or for cold flow at start-up. I do agree its difficult to combat acid buildup and sludge formation when rarely letting the oil get hot enough, so for that I'd say 6 months tops on a cheap conventional dino oil if it meets the manufacturer's specs (sometimes there is no choice but to get semi-syn or full-syn due to dexos1, LL-01FE, 229.5, etc.).

Annual Protection would be most beneficial for those who put a lot of miles on their vehicles in a year's time, like up to 20k miles per year as Mobil says.
Or, when the oil is heated up enough, needing around 7 miles each trip, Annual Protection would be great since its very stable synthetic base oils and advanced anti-oxidant chemicals would allow it to go up to a year.

Yeah but how much iron will be worn away in that mileage?
lol.gif
I joke, I joke.

Ya I agree with him actually. I believe when XOM tested Mobil 1 EP, they did it in Las Vegas which was stop n go city driving, but the engines were on all day long. You can't get 20k miles doing short trip/on/off cycles. It would take too long. What AP/Amsoil/Edge etc. and other good oils will do better than others is maintain their viscosity control longer, not thicken out of grade which leads to increse deposits/sludge.

Mobil-1-Annual-Protection-Oil-Breakdown.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back