02 Chevy Silverado 5.3L heater hoses

Own a 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L (LT) with 345k and need to replace the heater hoses that come off the firewall and travel into the water pump housing area.

Trying to get the part numbers for these two hoses. Called the dealer and they gave me some parts numbers (15792821 and 15763368).
The dealer used my vin but when I try to populate the hoses suing the GMpartcenter website, the part shows a different hose and it shows that it doesn't fit my car. So either the dealer gave me the wrong part number or I wrote the part number incorrectly.

Vin# ends with 21132497

Any advice is greatly appreciated

I would recommend buying the hoses from the dealer as you are reasonably assured of getting the correct parts the first time. The dealer will be more expensive, but how often to the hoses get replaced?

Are they molded or straight? If you go to Gates web site, they list all your hoses.

Last edited:
Rock Auto lists AC Delco, Gates, Dayco and Continental molded hoses for your application.

If you dont like to order online just get the Gates numbers and take them to NAPA.

I did this on a 2001 5.3 Silverado with Gates hoses, 18914 and 22554.

I also planned to replace the plastic quick-connect fittings at the firewall with Dorman #800-409. I don't know if the originals are different sizes or one of my new parts was faulty, but I could only get one of the new connectors to fit. After most of an afternoon, I gave up and reused one original. I got a little plastic tool from NAPA to remove the fittings.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
I did this on a 2001 5.3 Silverado with Gates hoses, 18914 and 22554.

I also planned to replace the plastic quick-connect fittings at the firewall with Dorman #800-409. I don't know if the originals are different sizes or one of my new parts was faulty, but I could only get one of the new connectors to fit. After most of an afternoon, I gave up and reused one original. I got a little plastic tool from NAPA to remove the fittings.

I replaced mine on my 02 Silverado and got the hoses from Rock Auto. All fit just fine and I also replace the plastic quick connect fittings. I basically changed all my hoses at one time.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
345,000 miles? Tell us a bit about your motor oil. ( and + 1 on 46Harry’s comments).

Have used Valvoline and Castrol 5w-30 for most of its life. Religiously changed the oil every 3k. Replaced or repaired everything myself. This forum has helped me when I had to tackle something I had never done. Since I replaced the intake manifold the cold misfires when away. Going thru some slow start issues now where it might be pointing towards a new starter. Extremely reliable trucks. We are the original owners and the engine is original meaning it hasn't been opened up.

The WP to heater core hose is just a straight piece of 5/8" heater hose.
The heater core return Y reservoir to water pump can be bought at NAPA which are made by Gates.

You will need new quick disconnect fittings for both the new hoses. I used Dorman QD fittings which is no different than any other black plastic fitting.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
The heater core return Y reservoir to water pump can be bought at NAPA which are made by Gates.

You will need new quick disconnect fittings for both the new hoses. I used Dorman QD fittings which is no different than any other black plastic fitting.

Do the dealer hoses come with the quick disconnect fittings?

Originally Posted By: Gito

Haven't checked the dealer when I bought my heater hoses since NAPA carried Gates which are the OEM supplier. Googling the 2 part numbers in the first post shows the dealer parts having the QD fittings.

This is what I did with the NAPA Gates hoses. Hoses don't come preinstalled with the fittings so they need to be bought separately.
axCXnOg.jpg

Bought everything from NAPA:
Hzldky5.jpg

Originally Posted By: Gito

Haven't checked the dealer when I bought my heater hoses since NAPA carried Gates which are the OEM supplier. Googling the 2 part numbers in the first post shows the dealer parts having the QD fittings.

This is what I did with the NAPA Gates hoses. Hoses don't come preinstalled with the fittings so they need to be bought separately.
axCXnOg.jpg

Bought everything from NAPA:
Hzldky5.jpg

Exactly what I just did last month on my 2006 Sierra Denali. One of the firewall connectors was weeping so it was time and I did both hoses and new Quick connects. All from Rock Auto.

I meant to look up your truck with the catalog at work today but forgot. The part numbers your local dealer gave you look like typical heater hoses for that truck though based on Google image results.

What is the link to the website?

I replaced these hoses on my Escalade. I got oem from a local GM dealer. Later I checked a local pep boys and they had the Gates brand for significantly less expensive. Oh well, no use in crying over spilled milk. The plastic connectors are separate

I ended up buying the Genuine (GM) hoses today. Question?

Do I need the quick disconnect(quick-connect release) tool? If so, can anyone recommended a brand that will work and can someone let me know which brands to stay away from?

I see mixed reviews on some of those tools where some say that the tool is not needed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

I don't know the part number, but I found the tool at NAPA. It was basically two pieces of plastic in a clear box, hanging on one of the rotating peg displays.

Back