You can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the post office Friday to mail two identical envelopes, one of each to two different addresses. Paid the $2 and in person watched the postal worker put the stamp on each one.

Today in the mail one of the envelopes was returned to my house with postage? written right next to the return address.

Not sure how they didn't notice the stamp in the top right corner.

You can't make this stuff up

That's the way I sometimes feel about stuff posted on this forum.....

My mail lady seems to be related to Cliff Clavin. Just a few days ago the neighbor delivered my package.

There are more mistakes made by the post office than any other business in the world. I could write a book on all the mail delivery and post office fiascos I've had over the last 20 years.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Went to the post office Friday to mail two identical envelopes, one of each to two different addresses. Paid the $2 and in person watched the postal worker put the stamp on each one.

Today in the mail one of the envelopes was returned to my house with postage? written right next to the return address.

Not sure how they didn't notice the stamp in the top right corner.

Normally after putting on a stamp they would hand cancel it. Once cancelled it's good to go even if the stamp falls off.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My rural postal delivery guy has 2 speeds, slow and couch.

Some people have 2 speeds when they work.
STOP and GO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
Originally Posted By: Donald
My rural postal delivery guy has 2 speeds, slow and couch.

Some people have 2 speeds when they work.
STOP and GO

Some ladies at a post office the CHI where I used to go had:
-Stop
-Look at customer
-disappear

As a former employee of USPS, it truly is a wonder that any packages, or mail gets delivered correctly. Prime example of government waste.

Last edited:
Probably the weight exceed the threshold for the postage stamp. Either they are not absolutely identical or there is a bad scale somewhere.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
As a former employee of USPS, it truly is a wonder that any packages, or mail gets delivered correctly. Prime example of government waste.

Because they care.

How much government money did they waste?

As I recall, USPS is an independent agency and doesn't get any money from congress although congress tells them what to do.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Probably the weight exceed the threshold for the postage stamp. Either they are not absolutely identical or there is a bad scale somewhere.

The lady working there weighed both packages before she could calculate the postage! According to my receipt they both weighed 0.90 ounces and one envelope was shipped and the other returned to my house.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hard to "pick a winner". Too many breaks in the chain of possession.

"$2" worth of postage is a suspiciously round number.

That's what my receipt shows. $1 per envelope, albeit it was the large manila type.

Our postman brought a package to the porch yesterday. He had a cell phone stuck in his ear when he got out of the truck and chatted someone up the entire time, coming and going. No wonder the neighbors' mail winds up in our box.

I've worked for companies in several industries that I've respected as a customer, but once I saw how things worked inside I wondered how product ever left the facilities to actually make it to the customer...

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
How much government money did they waste?

As I recall, USPS is an independent agency and doesn't get any money from congress although congress tells them what to do.

American taxpayers give an $18 billion gift to the post office every year

http://fortune.com/2015/03/27/us-postal-service/

" ...
Laws that bar any other shipping service from delivering mail and packages directly to residential and business mailboxes. Shapiro estimates that this gives the Post Office a $14 billion annual boost, more than three times what the Postal Regulatory Commission estimates it to be.
..."

In other words, $14 Billion of that $18 Billion is because the Postal Service rents PO Boxes. I suppose that the boxes at UPS facilities that only UPS can deliver to are a subsidy to UPS?

I see that the article's calculation of "subsidies" to the USPS does not count the payments mandated by the 2008 law requiring the USPS to prefund present and future retiree health benefits, a condition that no other federally funded or owned agency or corporation has had placed upon it. Payments are in the order of $5.5 Billion a month to the US treasury.

The pensions are paid out of general revenue, just like any other federal employee pension benefit. In essence Congress is demanding the USPS pays monies to prepay a liability, but that are simply spent as if they were tax revenue, while placing the burden they are intended to eliminate on the taxpayer's of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back