Windows 10 video problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am experiencing slow motion video playback and audio distortion when watching videos . It is usually at the start of the video and also when resuming play after pausing the video .
This is sometimes accompanied with a green overlay distorting the picture ( not sure if that is the best description).

I searched youtube and found a few videos dealing with audio problems but this seems to be a video/audio combination issue .

Thanks in advance for any tips on troubleshooting this .

Try VLC media player to see if it gives you the same issue. I watch everything on VLC instead of Windows Media Players.

Its a video driver issue. The M$ know it all's put a driver they want in there and if you change it Win 10 will change it back.
The trick is to download the driver from the video car manufacturer, go offline and install it, make sure it works properly then prevent Windows from updating drivers before going back online.

There are a few ways to do this depending on home or pro, more into is online. gpedit.msc, prevent windows from updating drivers with update is the easiest and best way in pro, home requires a couple or registry tweaks.

After that last win 10 update our netflicks seemed to slow down and buffer and it never did that before, Our browser is firefox and we decided to run netflicks on Opera and it has not happened since. In our experience anyway it seemed to be a firefox issue after that last Win 10 update. Might be worth a try to give Opera, Chrome or Safari a go and see if that works.

not enough information.. are we talking about netflix, youtube, other?

What player are you using.

What are the system specs.

What drivers are installed.(mainly video)

Originally Posted By: Rand
not enough information.. are we talking about netflix, youtube, other?

What player are you using.

What are the system specs.

What drivers are installed.(mainly video)

Agreed. There are so many variables when it comes to offline vs. local files being played, and their codecs and encoding methods.

This happens mostly with youtube videos. It also happens when streaming live sports not on youtube an example would be vipbox type sites that have a bunch of links to watch games on .

My computer is a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 home 8Gb ram, Inteli3-7100 2.4 GHz processor .

Video playback shows windows media player .

I checked for driver updates in the device manager and it said latest drivers installed. driver version 22.20.26.4836 Intel hd graphics 670.
I am not very sure of what all of that means to be honest but tried to provide some more information .

Originally Posted By: sleepery
This happens mostly with youtube videos. It also happens when streaming live sports not on youtube an example would be vipbox type sites that have a bunch of links to watch games on .

My computer is a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 home 8Gb ram, Inteli3-7100 2.4 GHz processor .

Video playback shows windows media player .

I checked for driver updates in the device manager and it said latest drivers installed. driver version 22.20.26.4836 Intel hd graphics 670.
I am not very sure of what all of that means to be honest but tried to provide some more information .

When done through Device Mangler, you are just asking Microsoft to check their servers, which will yield a generic driver. You want either the driver from DELL or straight from Intel. If you check the DELL support site, you should see what the latest driver they offer is.

The latest version from Intel is Driver Version: 23.20.16.4901, which can be found in package 15.60.2.4901, and is located here:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa...-?product=80939

Originally Posted By: Trav
Then you must insure M$ doesn't give it heave ho the next time it looks for updates like tomorrow.

My experience with 10 has been it only replaced video drivers with a major build update, the day-to-day updates have been OK in that regard.

It is annoying however, so I feel your pain. I intentionally order Windows 7-based systems still to avoid 10, because you never know what software a new build is going to break.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Then you must insure M$ doesn't give it heave ho the next time it looks for updates like tomorrow.

My experience with 10 has been it only replaced video drivers with a major build update, the day-to-day updates have been OK in that regard.

It is annoying however, so I feel your pain. I intentionally order Windows 7-based systems still to avoid 10, because you never know what software a new build is going to break.

They do update the driver when Win 10 goes looking for updates of any sort, this behavior seems to be more so with 1709. I have a i7 laptop that needs a OE video driver to operate properly.
Every time I got the thing performing perfectly then I noticed the screen go black and come back, I knew that was the driver being put in by M$. Sure enough device manager showed a M$ driver.

I put an end to that fiasco by opening gpedit.msc and under system enabling prevent driver installation with these id's, the id can be found in the device manager.
Now when I go to windows update I get this and no more M$ driver install.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

They do update the driver when Win 10 goes looking for updates of any sort, this behavior seems to be more so with 1709. I have a i7 laptop that needs a OE video driver to operate properly.
Every time I got the thing performing perfectly then I noticed the screen go black and come back, I knew that was the driver being put in by M$. Sure enough device manager showed a M$ driver.

I put an end to that fiasco by opening gpedit.msc and under system enabling prevent driver installation with these id's, the id can be found in the device manager.
Now when I go to windows update I get this and no more M$ driver install.

That's nuts.

Have not had that issue, the NVidia and ATI drivers tend to stay installed unless there's a build update, that's when I notice an MS driver taking their stead.

Pretty sad that you'd have to edit Group Policy for your computer to run correctly. The option to omit drivers from the automatic update should have been standard.

You would know better than I but it seems if the M$ driver is based on the same version as the one from the OE or manufacturer it leaves it alone, the M$ driver is only missing the driver control panel in some cases.

This laptop requires a previous version to play Postal and Postal 2 without crashing and flash video. I just looked at the others and you are correct M$ did not mess with the driver, they have the latest OE.

You would know better than I but it seems if the M$ driver is based on the same version as the one from the OE or manufacturer it leaves it alone, the M$ driver is only missing the driver control panel in some cases.

This laptop requires a previous version to play Postal and Postal 2 without crashing and flash video. I just looked at the others and you are correct M$ did not mess with the driver, they have the latest OE.

Yes, the updated drivers pushed out through Windows Update are based on the drivers made by the chip manufacturer, so like NVidia, Intel, ATI...etc. The problem seems to arise in situations like yours where you are intentionally running a driver older than the one available on Windows Update, because of issues. Usually, the drivers from those companies are newer than the ones on Windows Update, in which case MS leaves them alone.

There really should be a toggle in Windows Update to disable the driver side of things.

There was and still is but it reality it has no function at all in 1709, windows just ignores it. In previous releases it worked fine, in home 1709 you can enable it in the registry or download gpedit.
The green overlay and distortion appear to indicates a driver issue, what do you think?

There was and still is but it reality it has no function at all in 1709, windows just ignores it. In previous releases it worked fine, in home 1709 you can enable it in the registry or download gpedit.
The green overlay and distortion appear to indicates a driver issue, what do you think?

I agree with you, and I think MS has dropped the ball a few times with 10, which is why I still avoid it on client systems.

Thanks for everyones input . I downloaded driver from Dell last night with no change . I tried watching videos in Opera just now and do not have any issues, knock on wood . I was using Edge since getting the computer .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back