2009 Silverado with 100k plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my Wife got the all clear thank the Lord and is back to work. Since where I live I need a 4x4 to get to work in bad weather I picked up a nice used Silverado a week ago to use on occasion and keep the Sonata as a daily.

It's got the 4.8 and is the last year before Chevy went to VVT so there is no issues I could find on it, unlike the 5.3.

It's got 97k on it. I will only put 5-6k a year maybe on it mostly backroads/highway.

My plan is to use the 2 jugs of Harvest King synthetic I picked up for a couple of short runs maybe this Spring/Fall. Then next spring move to Valvoline full syn high mileage once a year. To go along with a few Wix filters I got on=line for $4.50 a piece.

What do you guys think?

Perfect, sounds like a good plan to me. Enjoy the truck. Although I'd change out the other fluids and filters if needed.

Like the guy above me said, definitely change out coolant,trans,transfer case,diffs,cause ur good to go with ur oil choices.

Last edited:
Thanks,

My plan for the rest is

Tans fluid - Extract the fluid out of the pan, wait a few thousand miles then do a pan drop. Bought a case of CARQUEST synthetic Dex6.

Coolant - Flush (buddy has a shop that will do it for next to nothing)

Transfer case - Drain and fill CARQUEST syn Dex6

Front/rear Diffs - Mobil 1 75w90

P/S fluid - turkey baster method with 2 quarts maxlife p/s fluid

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Thanks,

My plan for the rest is

Tans fluid - Extract the fluid out of the pan, wait a few thousand miles then do a pan drop. Bought a case of CARQUEST synthetic Dex6.

All sounds good but you didn’t say which coolant.

Your plan is good to go. Def do the 100k maint listed in the manual. Change coolant, gear fluids, TC and PS, flush brake fluid, transmission fluid, and replace spark plugs. Lube chassis if u have zerks

Last edited:
Check to make sure the transfer case takes Dex 6.....the transfer case in my Yukon did not..it took a special alltrak fluid or something like that....everything else sounds good.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Check to make sure the transfer case takes Dex 6.....the transfer case in my Yukon did not..it took a special alltrak fluid or something like that....everything else sounds good.

I thought the same thing, but the manual says Dex6.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Thanks,

My plan for the rest is

All sounds good but you didn’t say which coolant.

He uses Prestone long life which is a Den-clone isn’t it?

Ok, if it’s Prestone Long life, carry on with Prestone Long life. What color is the fluid in the plastic overflow tank? I don’t want to hijack your thread with too much about coolants but I don’t recommend changing coolant formulations.

SF

Last edited:

Yes, you are thinking of Auto Trak 2. In 2007, GM changed to Magna Powertrain transfer cases. They all use Dex 6.
That’s the simple answer.

If you want more answers on pre 2007 GM transfer cases, you can search around the forum. There is one in my postings.

SF

I thought the same thing, but the manual says Dex6.

Ok I was just making sure......lol mine was a 2003.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Yes, you are thinking of Auto Trak 2. In 2007, GM changed to Magna Powertrain transfer cases. They all use Dex 6.
That’s the simple answer.

If you want more answers on pre 2007 GM transfer cases, you can search around the forum. There is one in my postings.

SF

Yep that is it! Mine was a little older than 07!

I drive a 2008 Silverado 4.8l company truck with ~ 160,000 on the clock . Very little road salt / rust .

I would say you should get about that many miles out of yours , at least .

Glad to hear your wife got a good medical report ! :) Yes , Praise the Lord !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back