Kia Sportage vc gasket change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kia Sportage 2007, guys. Inline 4 cylinder 2.0 liters with a weeping valve cover gasket. Is it a simple slap-it-on job or does it need gasket sealant at some specified areas and corners as my Honda requires?

Once you pull the vc, you should be able to tell if there was any sealant used.

This is somewhat related. My wife used to have a '00 Sportage that the vc leaked twice. Twice it developed a leak that filled the spark plug hole with oil, that cause the plug to miss fire due to being submerged in oil. The first replacement didn't have sealer on it, but the second one did. This happened at 90k and 100k,and under the valve cover was so cleaned it looked like it was put together the week before. Mobil 1 EP since 10k.,,,

After a little digging, I found a shop manual that says to use a little sealant at "the corners of the depression of the gasket" after it is installed at the valve cover. Apparently the gasket is not all flat. It has a short section with some concavity. I will also order a set of doughnut gaskets for the spark plug tubes and, as BigCahuna chimed, make sure to apply some sealant to them too.

Go with the recommendation of the replacement gasket maker you choose. Of course you need something where pieces would meet each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back