Fram Tough Guard Air Filters discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
irv, I doubt if I've ever purchased an air filter using glue to lock the pleats that had it applied in a perfectly uniform pattern. I'd use that filter. Was the glue perfectly applied on the one you removed?

Do you have a pic with the country of manufacture and production date code for the new thicker filter you can post?

Last edited:
I put a Fram Extra Guard Air filter in the Matrix last July and though it looked pretty good. I like the rubber composite seal that runs the perimeter unlike the oem filter. Also seemed much better quality than the purolators they had at Advance Auto. Decent price as well since I had the store price match the online WM price. Only around $12 while the store price was around $17.

For the cabin filter I picked up the Fram Fresh Breeze, also around $11-12 online while store price was around $17-18.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
irv, I doubt if I've ever purchased an air filter using glue to lock the pleats that had it applied in a perfectly uniform pattern. I'd use that filter. Was the glue perfectly applied on the one you removed?

Do you have a pic with the country of manufacture and production date code for the new thicker filter you can post?

I don't know about perfect, Nygotha, but it was definitely a lot better than this new one.

Sorry, I didn't think to take a pic of my new one but next time I am under the hood, I'll try to remember.

Glad to read you would also use that filter! I think, based on what I have read here lately about the importance of the air filter (not that I didn't know they were important) I think I am going to start changing mine out a little more frequently?

There are some documents in the archives of this sub-forum where studies showed changing the air filter too often actually increases wear as the air filter gains efficiency while in service. Back in my 3 month / 3K miles O/FCI days I would replace my air filter every third or fourth oil change, but I also lived & worked in dusty environments.

My 2012 Ram OM advises replacing the air filter every 2 years or 32K miles. I don't drive 16K miles per year so I replace every 2 years. In Northern Ohio there was salt & gravel fines from stuff used in road traction in winter. Where I live now is semi-arid ecology plus a land of quarries & gravel pits, and they're revamping the major highway just a couple of miles from my house, the main artery I use on every trip into the city, so my educated reasoning is it's unlikely I'm replacing mine prematurely at 15K - 20K miles after 2 years use. Right now there's visible haze in the air due to Mountain Cedar pollen - it's that thick in the air here at this time of year.

Numerous folks here advise installing a restriction gauge and those who use them post air filter change intervals of 40K miles, 60K miles, and more. Me, I'm comfortable with the 2 years / 32K miles interval for my truck.

My wife's 2011 Mustang OM specifies a 30K mile air filter change interval, no time interval. Her workday commute takes her right by a gravel pit and the highway construction so I'm tempted to shorten her interval to 20 K miles.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
There are some documents in the archives of this sub-forum where studies showed changing the air filter too often actually increases wear as the air filter gains efficiency while in service. Back in my 3 month / 3K miles O/FCI days I would replace my air filter every third or fourth oil change, but I also lived & worked in dusty environments.

My 2012 Ram OM advises replacing the air filter every 2 years or 32K miles. I don't drive 16K miles per year so I replace every 2 years. In Northern Ohio there was salt & gravel fines from stuff used in road traction in winter. Where I live now is semi-arid ecology plus a land of quarries & gravel pits, and they're revamping the major highway just a couple of miles from my house, the main artery I use on every trip into the city, so my educated reasoning is it's unlikely I'm replacing mine prematurely at 15K - 20K miles after 2 years use. Right now there's visible haze in the air due to Mountain Cedar pollen - it's that thick in the air here at this time of year.

Numerous folks here advise installing a restriction gauge and those who use them post air filter change intervals of 40K miles, 60K miles, and more. Me, I'm comfortable with the 2 years / 32K miles interval for my truck.

My wife's 2011 Mustang OM specifies a 30K mile air filter change interval, no time interval. Her workday commute takes her right by a gravel pit and the highway construction so I'm tempted to shorten her interval to 20 K miles.

Good to know, Nyogtha. I wasn't aware of that study/research. Guess I'll leave this one in a little longer, or at least 2-3 years depending on the mileage and the conditions I'll be driving in.

I recently read, maybe on here or another study, that it isn't recommended to shake or tap the dirt out them occasionally? What are your thoughts on this?

This morning, while driving to work, there were large amounts of salt dust being kicked up from the bus ahead of me. I read your post this morning before I left and immediately wondered if it was a good idea changing my filter out to my new one?
eek.gif

I think fresh fluids & filters is a good move on a used vehicle with 50K miles and presumably no or few service records.

The search function here is terrible but the air filter sub-forum for example doesn't have a whole lot of posts. I flipped through it from beginning to present in maybe 2 hours while I was recuperating from being in hospital last year. I dug into detail in posts that interested me. There are posts from Motorking, the Technical Training Director at Fram in this sub-forum I found interesting, including his descriptions of differences between the Extra Guard & Tough Guard air filters.

Here's a relevant older BITOG quote from an SAE paper for reference

Originally Posted By: compratio10_5
A quote taken directly from the conclusions of SAE paper #952557 "Total Filtration: The influence of Filter Selection on Engine Wear, Emissions, and Performance" by Marty Barris of Donaldson Company.

"Too Frequent air filter change intervals can double engine wear rate, especially if changed within the first 30% of the filter's life."

Another older BITOG post about doing something besides replacing the air filter.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Blowing out a filter is a good way to kill your engine.
Here is Mann filters
https://blog.mann-hummel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/Mythen/MF_10Mythen_EN_Ansicht_neu.pdf
And this is from CAT, they don't even want you to open the filter housing to insepct it let alone blow air or tap the filter to try to clean it. They say to go by the air filter restriction gauge, nothing else.
Page 24
https://caterpillar.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C10467200

Just because some one makes something they say is great for air filters doesn't make it great.
I can go to any heavy construction manufacturer and find the same thing on how NOT to clean them or even try to clean them.

Cris142
Don't know what "pulled down a bit" means. My S2000 pulls 0 restriction with the air box lid off but will pull 8"of H2o with the lid on, I just went 90k miles on my last air filter in that car. Doesn't your gauge give you a range of numbers like the Wix gauge? My Wix gauges start a 8 and go to 25" and I change my filters due to time(6 years) or when the restriction gets to 11" or 15" of restriction on my gas engines.
Here is the air box on a S2000, you can see my Restriction gauge on the right side of this pic

ROD

Originally Posted by Nyogtha
Another older BITOG post about doing something besides replacing the air filter.

Originally Posted by rrounds
Blowing out a filter is a good way to kill your engine.
Here is Mann filters
https://blog.mann-hummel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/Mythen/MF_10Mythen_EN_Ansicht_neu.pdf
And this is from CAT, they don't even want you to open the filter housing to insepct it let alone blow air or tap the filter to try to clean it. They say to go by the air filter restriction gauge, nothing else.
Page 24
https://caterpillar.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C10467200

Just because some one makes something they say is great for air filters doesn't make it great.
I can go to any heavy construction manufacturer and find the same thing on how NOT to clean them or even try to clean them.

Cris142
Don't know what "pulled down a bit" means. My S2000 pulls 0 restriction with the air box lid off but will pull 8"of H2o with the lid on, I just went 90k miles on my last air filter in that car. Doesn't your gauge give you a range of numbers like the Wix gauge? My Wix gauges start a 8 and go to 25" and I change my filters due to time(6 years) or when the restriction gets to 11" or 15" of restriction on my gas engines.
Here is the air box on a S2000, you can see my Restriction gauge on the right side of this pic
[Linked Image]

ROD

Nygotha, I was recently reading my wife's owner manual and came across this about gently tapping out her air filter. This surprised me, as noted above and in some previous threads, this wasn't recommended.
Needless to say, I was surprised to read this.

I likely won't be tapping it out anyways as when I open up the air box again, it will likely be time to change it anyway (in 2 yrs give or take) but I thought it was interesting reading this in her manual.

How to Inspect the Engine Air
Cleaner/Filter
Do not start the engine or have the
engine running with the engine air
cleaner/filter housing open. Before
removing the engine air cleaner/
filter, make sure that the engine air
cleaner/filter housing and nearby
components are free of dirt and
debris. Remove the engine air
cleaner/filter. Lightly tap and shake
the engine air cleaner/filter (away