Another "best" oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been following this forum for years, and things change. I'm rebuilding a couple BBCs and looking for a good break-in oil filter, under $8. Opinions, please??? PH8A equivalent.

So where is the logic in cheaping out on a filter when oil contamination is at its highest?

I would budget for a better filter on a fresh engine rebuild since a lot of time and possibly money is being put into it. I would want the best oil filter for a fresh engine and I wouldn't have an issue using something less expensive once the wear metals go down. New engines always have higher metal contents in UOA's. And it seems rebuilt engines done by pro's, have higher UOA metal particle counts than the same engine did when it came new in the car. Napa Gold or a Napa Platinum.

Fram Ultra XG8A
smile.gif

A PH8A won't fit on a BBC - is this a remote mount filter?

If so, I 2nd the motion for a XG8A or...
maybe one from the HP series (racing) filters

The best oil filter is the WIX XP.

The best football team is the Green Bay Packers.

The best fighter plane is the P-51 Mustang.

The most attractive female in the world is __________?

Opinions are like ... well you know the rest of the saying.
grin.gif

Although, facts and performance specs do tend to over ride opinions.

LOL, I see nothing has changed, a dozen different options. I will be using Amzoil filters after the first 20-30 minutes, this first one is just to get the bigger lumps out of the oil. Using Amzoil break-in, then Z-Rod from then on.
These engines are in my boat, I bought a couple remans from Promar and had them do a little tweaking, inc. comp cams camshafts. One engine is runs in reverse, finding a cam was not as easy as I hoped. At any rate things are moving along. Hope to have it running by fishing season, SoCal and Mexico.

I seen more regular wix/ K&N filters at fresh engine rebuild more then ANY other brand . That me being around engine shop and dyno shop regularly when I was in Texas . For those high hp car at the dyno . Most too filter I seen was Mobil 1 . K&N . Regular wix . Never seen fram on any car that pull in for dyno tune .. for being BITOGer . First thing I want see is oil filter 😂

Those corvett high hp 900+ whp folks . Always running Mobil 1 + Mobil 1 oil filter . These 2 combo is very common combo . Mabe it’s easy availability . Also amsoil signature series’ with amsoil oil filter .

Mike,
Did the engine builder block off the filter bypass in the engine block? If so, do not make mistake of using any oil filter that does not have a bypass built into the filter can. You risk collapsing the filter as it fills with break in material. All Standard GM filters from ANY filter companies do not have bypass valves in then BC GM puts it in the engine block. It has been a long standing (and very misguided) modification to block off this bypass. It's fine to do so if you run a FRAM HP4 or WIX Racing filter as they both have bypass valves in them bc both companies are well aware of this stupid mod. Good luck, sounds like a [censored] boat.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How about plumbing in a bypass filter for startup.
Because?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back