Right of ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly been involved in 2 collisions today in Lincoln Ne by what I call for lack of a better word : "left turn light jumpers". I am at an intersection with only green lights( no left turn green or yellow arrows) I am in a lane going straight ahead. across from me is a vehicle who is indicating he wants to turn left. At the very millisecond that the light turns green, the idiot jets out in front of me and I have little option short of an accident than to let him go. This happened twice today. Of course the first one had his booming stereo blasting bass at 1000000 decibels and the second guy appeared to be holding a big tablet above his steering wheel. Anyway, most any traffic manual in any state will have something to this effect about left turns and right of ways. "When turning left at an intersection with no protected left or left arrow you must yield to drivers going straight." I fail to see why that is so difficult for some people to grasp. Also at many residential intersections with no light, the concept of yielding to the right seems to be a lost art form. Most just blast through with out even a glance as if they own the roads. Of course we have several roundabouts as well in this town and I don't even want to start in on that topic, lest I get a massive migraine.People even find a way to make roundabouts difficult. Lately the left turners who think they have ROW over straight ahead traffic is what i find to be the most annoying and dangerous.

Welcome to the big city. That kind of thing happens all the time in NJ. It's either jump the light and turn left or be stuck there waiting the entire light and jumping through the yellow on the other side.

Just wait a second, let them go, don't play drag racer when the light turns green and be on your way. No migraines needed.

This same scenario happens in the Augusta GA area a lot. Apparently, some people think driving skills and basic common sense no longer need to be applied on the roads nowadays.

There is one left turn that I have to do this at. If I'm the first stopped at the light, I jam on it and get across before getting in the way of the traffic ahead turning green.

On the weekends the arrow will cycle to green; I've never personally seen a green arrowgreen during the week and unless I hit it quick I'll be there all morning.

It's called the Boston left. If there aren't arrow signals and the left turner first in line is using his signal and on the ball to gun it the instant the light turns green, it is considered polite to let him go.

Last edited:
Have you noticed the "conga lines" that form behind the initial left turners? Since the driving position is hidden behind the previous car's rear quarter panel, you, the innocent straight-driver has no way of making eye contact with conga line offenders number two and beyond.

It's a sad statement of our society that cops are actually busy doing "real criminal" work and letting traffic stuff slide. I used to have podunk town cops follow me all the way from the town line, with me doing the speed limit, in the late 90's. Now everyone blows through this town at 15+ over.

I see it frequently. If I see them creeping up just before the light changes I assume they will gun it to beat the oncoming vehicles because they can’t wait. Sure enough, they usually do.

Seems like there are two basic choices:

1) Chill for a second

2) Get an old beater with steel bumpers and a dash cam, let nature take its course, then collect the insurance money.

With people chewing tide pods these days my expectations of driving ability are out the window..lol..

When people do that I lean on the horn and brake hard near their car...

Originally Posted By: mk378
It's called the Boston left. If there aren't arrow signals and the left turner first in line is using his signal and on the ball to gun it the instant the light turns green, it is considered polite to let him go.

And it could reduce traffic congestion..

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I am at an intersection with only green lights( no left turn green or yellow arrows)

That's called a "suicide left turn."

If theres 20 cars backed up at the light i’ll let the first car turn left sometimes so the other 19 can be on their way. But never if its just a light traffic intersection.

Some people making a left won't pull out into the intersection so that when the light turns they can't turn. If they'd just pull out a bit while waiting for traffic to clear they can at least complete the turn as the light actually changes.

I got stuck behind someone for two cycles of the lights and then just went straight and made a u-turn. That person was still there with many cars stuck behind.

In rush hour traffic you must learn to keep moving without getting a ticket or getting hit and not get out of pace too much with the cars around you or doing something stupid and having someone else get upset. It's okay to let someone go by or to be several minutes late to your destination.

Special snowflakes and social justice warriors with an entitled view of right of way will find driving not to their liking these days.

Stop driving and just wait for your self driving uber powered by unicorn farts.

The rest of us will politely shrug it off and drive defensively, which in case you haven't noticed is a wise idea. Also keeps the aneurysms at bay.

I have been to NYC once and that was more than enough, thankfully I was using cabs and did not have to drive. I am hoping to move to a very small city or even into the country in a few years. I have a dislike for large metro areas and Lincoln though not large is still too populated for my liking. Cant wait till the last kid is out of college and we can sell the house and move to a rural small town.

I do not know if they are special snowflakes or if they are just extremely arrogant people with the "world revolves around me" attitude and if they have to break the law to make it happen, so be it. I suspect they are a bit of both.They have no patience and act like they are the only ones on the road. That is my observation of them. Just this week I was honked at while sitting at a red light waiting to turn right, a big truck to my left, so NO I am not going to creep out into traffic to see if I can safely turn right so the honker can get to starbuck or Burger King 30 seconds faster.LOL!!!

It is the wild, wild west by me for the most part. Whoever is the aggressor gets to go first

Be quick, or stay home is the theme of the day.

We always called it banging a left.
There were plenty of antiquated intersections in the Chicagoland area that hadn't been updated with turn arrows and the left turners would just back up forever. Had to have the first person in line bang a left and then maybe 3-4 more people go on orange/red to get the traffic moving at all. The most dangerous thing about banging a left was the cross traffic making lefts after they had gotten their red.

I have heard that term before as well. In most cities there are certain times at certain intersections where the fastest way to make a left turn is to just to go straight and drive around the block, like UPS trucks do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back