Costco doesn't have Group 51 battery? Deka 551MF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's car has a marginal battery now. It's been through quite a bit since I got it. The current battery is a Die Hard Weatherhandler that I got in October 2010 for $55 + core fee. It's actually kind of amazing how long it's lasted given what it's been through. It does start reliably as long I don't listen to the radio too long. I was waiting for my wife in a Costco parking lot. I then tried to start it and it died. I forgot I had a jump starter (and it's kind of old anyways) but I went to the tire center and was allowed to borrow their jump starter with a Costco card and an ID left behind. I know it wasn't because the battery wasn't charged when we left home, because I literally hooked it up to a charger at home before leaving.

I'm kind of wondering why one of the most common applications isn't covered by Costco with their current Interstate private label battery with the 42 month warranty. In the past they've had Kirkland Signature Group 51. I bought one years ago and got it replaced for free because it wasn't working too well under less than 2 years. I think it was less than $50 when I got it around 2008-9. My wife leaving the map lights on may have had something to do with it, but eventually I changed all of them to LEDs, which extends how long it takes to completely drain the battery. Costco does have Group 51R, which seems kind of odd given there are probably more cars around that need Group 51.

The other thing I've seen is Pep Boys has a "ValueGrade" Group 51 where it says $26.32 after promotion, but I don't know if they even have it anywhere. I get nothing when I try to see if any store has it. It just stalls. It may not be great, but if I could get it for that price I don't care.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/662040/00815

Almost anything else I can find seems to be over $100 now. Batteries Plus Bulbs has a Duracell (I think East Penn) Group 51 for $120. I think AAA batteries are East Penn. All the auto parts stores and Walmart are over $100. Walmart doesn't have ValueSelect Group 51. Sears has it on sale for $113. My Sam's Club membership expired years ago, but even they had the Duracell for $100.

About the only one I can find that seems reasonable is the Deka 551MF from Lowe's. The shipping to a store may take a couple of weeks, but I can live with it since the battery still starts if I don't drain it with the engine off. I'm wondering about the "farm equipment" category, but 551MF corresponds to what East Penn says is the right battery for my wife's Civic.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deka-12-Volt-560-Amp-Farm-Equipment-Battery/50183737

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Monument Car Parts in Pacheco should have the 51 DEKA in-stock today.

Kind of far away, but any Lowe's is kind of far away too. I live in the Bermuda Triangle for lots of these chain businesses. The only Pep Boys in the area closed a decade ago.

Originally Posted By: slug_bug
When I use the Costco web site I see a group size 51R. Not the same thing?

The "R" means reversed terminals. Might work if I completely replace the cables with extra long ones, but that's kind of awkward.

It's really weird too. I remember way back when I had my 1995 Integra GS-R I was thinking about getting a replacement. Group 51 was easy to find, but 51R wasn't. I remember seeing at Group 51 battery at Target (Eveready brand made by JCI) for $40, but no 51R.

51 and 51R have the terminals reversed.

A Honda 100 Month Battery is probably only like 100 bucks (it will be a JC though).

I don't know if it'll work in your vehicle, but maybe this is a good chance to upgrade to a slightly larger batter? My Honda uses the 51R, I put in a 24F, so the regular group 24 might work for you (although the Group 24 is quite a big larger and will more likely need some mods). From the Element forum, the group 56 was a drop-in replacement, and the 35 was also an option that might need more changes, so there may be some other standard battery size combinations with the right terminals that would work for you.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
51 and 51R have the terminals reversed.

A Honda 100 Month Battery is probably only like 100 bucks (it will be a JC though).

Checked the closest dealer on the Honda eStore website. $116.98, which is actually cheaper than a lot of local parts stores for a Group 51.

I'll probably just order it from Lowe's and pick it up later. Anyone think there's any concern that they sell it as suitable for "farm equipment"?

083996009677.jpg

I checked with that local parts store mentioned earlier. They recommended the Deka and said they had plenty in stock for $94.99.

Rural King seems to be the cheapest place to buy batteries around me. They have the 51 and the 51R.

Have you looked in the store or are you using some Costco web site? The last time I had to replace the existing Costco battery in our Acura the Auto Center suddenly had no listing for it. Went into the store and picked the right one off the rack.

Nah you'd be fine. Farm equipment is what a local farm store near me as well... Agrisupply near me sells East Penn batteries in which sizes 51r, 26r and group 35 plus others are sold there as such.

Our local Costco has the 51R in stock which is the standard battery for Honda Civics. At least for every Civic I've owned.

Last edited:
There aren't too many cars that used a group 51 besides some Hondas. Go to the store. Costco is still in the stone age for inventory management.

Also check if that car has a KARR alarm added on to it. They are both power drains, the newer systems are made by some outfit in South Africa vs the older Taiwanese Audiovox setups. But still, they are hacked on.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Have you looked in the store or are you using some Costco web site? The last time I had to replace the existing Costco battery in our Acura the Auto Center suddenly had no listing for it. Went into the store and picked the right one off the rack.

I've looked and asked. In fact while I was at the tire center asking to borrow a jump starter, I asked the service writer if they had any Group 51 batteries. My local Costco has the batteries in the tire center waiting area.

Originally Posted By: Richie
Our local Costco has the 51R in stock which is the standard battery for Honda Civics. At least for every Civic I've owned.

I don't get it. I drove a 1989 Integra and it used a 51. My 1995 Integra GS-R used a 51R.

I found a guide. Group 51 is for Civics from 1983-9990, 2001-2005; Insights until 2006, all CRX models, S2000, and 1986-1989 Integras. Also several Mitsubishis (including Colt Vistas), and Suzukis (like the 1989-1995 Sidekick or Samurai), Chrysler Conquest, several Hyundais, etc.

Originally Posted By: nthach
There aren't too many cars that used a group 51 besides some Hondas. Go to the store. Costco is still in the stone age for inventory management.

Also check if that car has a KARR alarm added on to it. They are both power drains, the newer systems are made by some outfit in South Africa vs the older Taiwanese Audiovox setups. But still, they are hacked on.

Nope. It's strictly the Audivox setup. The other problem is that the buttons fell off one of the remotes and we can't really even find a salvage part to just replace the buttons. It's really odd too since there's no brand name at all on the remotes, even though we know they're factory ones. This was strictly because the battery is weak and I was listening to the radio. I also tried restarting the engine a few times thinking it would recharge the batteries, but that might have just made it worse since all I was doing was idling.

So I made another trip to Costco (had to get gas anyways) and had a closer look. This location has maybe 20 auto battery types. I did see a Group 51 specified in their printed guide (fitment code 20 I believe) but none on the rack. I asked, and the employee at the tire center said they have no way of ordering them - that they just get whatever they get. He also said that if they didn't have the part number on the rack, likely none in our area would have them.

Looks like the East Penn from Lowe's is the way to go here then.. Strange how they did not have the 51 size. That's a common size in the sense there's a decent amount of Hondas on the road I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back