Geico claim experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what to expect from Geico covering a claim? Got tagged by a Geico client Saturday night. I was making a left on a green arrow, he was making a right on red, but was looking to his left, not in front. He started to move as I was halfway through, I leaned on the horn and tried to avoid, but he crunched the Traverse's right rear door and quarter panel. Thankfully no one was hurt, and he followed me in to the next parking lot. Cop showed up quickly to take a report and I had a witness vouch for my having the green arrow. Let my agent know what happened and he advised to wait until I hear from Geico. Wasn't so sure the other guy was rushing to have Geico call on my behalf, so I went to Geico's website to look up the local rep, saw you could start a claim online. Strangely, needed to know the model year of his truck; I didn't know that and I don't have a copy of the police report. I just guessed and noted that I don't know the exact model year. So far got a call from a Geico rep saying they left a voice mail for their client, and she took some more info from me. Guess I just sit tight until they tell me what to do next.

Geico is usually pretty good at it, but always press them to get stuff done.

They'll ask you to upload the police report. Do it once you get it.

I have Geico. The only claim I have had was for a rock hitting my windshield. They gave me the option on what I wanted to do. Have it replaced or repaired. I chose repair at no charge. They had someone come to my house the next day.

I had a young woman hit me insured by Geico and the experience was a disaster. To Geico's credit-I received a phone call from them almost immediately. That was the only good thing that happened.

The person on the other end of the phone told me that I had to use their repair shop-which was more than twenty miles away-when I had a long-standing relationship with a body shop about 4 miles away. When I explained that I wanted to take my truck there-he stated that he didn't know when they would be able to send an adjusted to MY BODYSHOP. In other words-he did everything possible to have me use their facility. After several minutes-I got fed up and filed a claim with my own insurance company. My insurance company was reimbursed by Geico a few months later for about 90% of the claim.

I will NEVER INSURE WITH GEICO.

Originally Posted By: CKN
After several minutes-I got fed up and filed a claim with my own insurance company. My insurance company was reimbursed by Geico a few months later for about 90% of the claim.

That is how I've always handled any insurance claim. You pay your folks for a reason. Perhaps other states are different, but here in the Republic of New York, it is law that you cannot be forced to use one shop or another. FWIW I have had Geico for eons.

Last edited:
I've been hit by people with Geico and they have insisted I had to go to their facility which is not only illegal here in California, but the shop they insisted I had to go to is known for not the greatest work.

Plus in my job I do lots of body orders and Geico ones are always a Charlie Foxtrot. Their adjuster does not update his parts pricing lists so he wants us to honor pricing that is 2-3 years old because "that's what he shows." I will never use them for anything personal just like Progressive or State Farm for work related reasons.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I've been hit by people with Geico and they have insisted I had to go to their facility which is not only illegal here in California, but the shop they insisted I had to go to is known for not the greatest work.

Plus in my job I do lots of body orders and Geico ones are always a Charlie Foxtrot. Their adjuster does not update his parts pricing lists so he wants us to honor pricing that is 2-3 years old because "that's what he shows." I will never use them for anything personal just like Progressive or State Farm for work related reasons.

Geico has the lowest insurance rates of just about anybody The way they control costs (as explained to me) is to pay a body shop less than going rate for labor, and to use foreign/used parts when ever possible.

That's how they do it.

An additional note to my previous post-I lived in California as well when i had my "experience" with Geico.

Last edited:
Always remember that if the insurer of anyone who hits you, starts causing you serious headaches over a claim; you can always choose to have *your* insurance company repair your vehicle, and then your insurance company will subrogate the claim with the other insurance company.

Once it is apparent that the other insurance company is trying to make the experience a miserable one... just calling your insurance agent or company and mentioning the word "subrogation" will likely trigger your insurance company to make phone calls to the other insurance company on your behalf. Many times, that is all it will take to get things straightened out and moving again.

I didn't know about subrogation until I had to deal with an adjuster with Progressive who apparently stopped taking his meds, and started going rogue in the middle of a claim that I had with them.

Rest assured, your insurance company has people on staff who handle problem claims like this, everyday.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Geico is pretty good. I have had them for years. Wife just backed into a parked car on Sat.

With all due respect-it's the owner of the other car that will decide if they are/or are not.

Geico is pretty good. I have had them for years. Wife just backed into a parked car on Sat.

With all due respect-it's the owner of the other car that will decide if they are/or are not.

Yeah cause insurance premiums, customer service, availability and general helpfulness is/are irrelevant.

Last edited:
Painless in my experience compared to Progressive.

A few years ago, we were out and about when a kid ran into her Volvo. Not sure if the aftermarket support just isn't there, but her car received a new Volvo bumper with new trim inserts. Given it's age, I think they were trying to find a junkyard bumper (which I find perfectly acceptable) but there just aren't any locally.

My father on the other hand had a lady with Progressive pull out in front of him when his 2001 Tahoe was brand new. They wanted to install a used non GM bumper. It was the Z71 with the unique cladding and fog lights to boot. He had to pay out of pocket for a new GM bumper. This was a while ago so maybe their ways have changed..

Just went through this, they accepted liability and I met the adjuster who cut me a check on the spot. Turned it over the shop, Enterprise picked me up and direct billed the rental to Geico.

Didn't even have to call my insurance company.

Originally Posted By: redhat

Yeah cause insurance premiums, customer service, availability and general helpfulness is/are irrelevant.

Well paying another party's claim is pretty important. There are some people who wouldn't call their own insurance to file a claim-when Geico is seemingly non-responsive to them. Instead-their lawyer would CALL YOU (you are ultimately responsible to damage to another person property)then it would be YOUR PROBLEM. So yeah-being responsive to another party's claim when you are at fault is pretty important. There are people with that kind of money who would let their lawyer handle it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Anyone know what to expect from Geico covering a claim? Got tagged by a Geico client Saturday night. I was making a left on a green arrow, he was making a right on red, but was looking to his left, not in front. He started to move as I was halfway through, I leaned on the horn and tried to avoid, but he crunched the Traverse's right rear door and quarter panel. Thankfully no one was hurt, and he followed me in to the next parking lot. Cop showed up quickly to take a report and I had a witness vouch for my having the green arrow. Let my agent know what happened and he advised to wait until I hear from Geico. Wasn't so sure the other guy was rushing to have Geico call on my behalf, so I went to Geico's website to look up the local rep, saw you could start a claim online. Strangely, needed to know the model year of his truck; I didn't know that and I don't have a copy of the police report. I just guessed and noted that I don't know the exact model year. So far got a call from a Geico rep saying they left a voice mail for their client, and she took some more info from me. Guess I just sit tight until they tell me what to do next.

That sounds normal; they can't pay on a claim without speaking to their own insured. From my experience, that person may never call them back...wait a few days and if a follow up call doesn't get things going (as in their person hasn't called back) then I'd be filing through my own company.

I had a young woman hit me insured by Geico and the experience was a disaster. To Geico's credit-I received a phone call from them almost immediately. That was the only good thing that happened.

The person on the other end of the phone told me that I had to use their repair shop-which was more than twenty miles away-when I had a long-standing relationship with a body shop about 4 miles away. When I explained that I wanted to take my truck there-he stated that he didn't know when they would be able to send an adjusted to MY BODYSHOP. In other words-he did everything possible to have me use their facility. After several minutes-I got fed up and filed a claim with my own insurance company. My insurance company was reimbursed by Geico a few months later for about 90% of the claim.

That sounds typical, and not just for Geico. You always have the right to use whatever shop you want to use. They have people at their own shop and could get it done more quickly, is all, and the mobile guys have to fit you into the schedule....

They assign an adjuster to bodyshops they have relationships with. You can drive there, get an estimate (and check) then drive over to your bodyshop and have it repaired. At no point was I pressured to use their shop other than that was where the adjuster sat that wrote estimates.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

They assign an adjuster to bodyshops they have relationships with. You can drive there, get an estimate (and check) then drive over to your bodyshop and have it repaired. At no point was I pressured to use their shop other than that was where the adjuster sat that wrote estimates.

The issue being you are getting a check at Geicos substandard labor rates. So if you going to your "own shop" you will pay the difference.

The issue being you are getting a check at Geicos substandard labor rates. So if you going to your "own shop" you will pay the difference.

Not entirely correct. Insurance is required to restore you to where you were prior to the accident. In most states, the owner has a choice of shop and if so, the insurance company are the ones left paying the difference, not the vehicle owner.

There's a huge markup on body repair and by using their own dedicated shop, Geico saves on that expense. However they and other insurance companies still have to follow the law.

Originally Posted By: JLTD

Not entirely correct. Insurance is required to restore you to where you were prior to the accident. In most states, the owner has a choice of shop and if so, the insurance company are the ones left paying the difference, not the vehicle owner.

There's a huge markup on body repair and by using their own dedicated shop, Geico saves on that expense. However they and other insurance companies still have to follow the law.

Maybe somebody who has experience in this field can chime in. According to the previous poster-I go to Geico's bodyshop and get a check for what they body shop will repair my vehicle for. (They are cutting Geicio a deal on labor-safe assumption). I go to MY BODY SHOP with the check. My body shop doesn't say OK-we will cut or rates like the other shop. Who pays the difference? Who get a supplemental bill? Geico? MY insurance company" ME?

It would seem I would have to sign a "release" to get the check from Geico. It would seem at that point they are done with me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back