Purchased a Fram TGA9332 Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys. Just installed Fram TGA9332 air filter purchased at Walmart $13.56. Very lightly oiled perfect fit. Last 3 pictures is the old NAPA Gold filter that was installed at the dealer at 55,600 miles when previous owner traded in. (Have all service records). I changed at 71,600. The NAPA 95 pleats Fram 65 pleats. Fram pleats look thicker. Fram fit a little better (no movement). NAPA Gold had a little movement side to side. Looks like the fram may flow better? your thoughts. The NAPA Gold was not that dirty daylight could be seen through out filter. I am thinking Fram is on a roll with this filter and the ultra oil filter. Hope they don't try to improve it. Will try a new fram fuel filter.

That's good you're happy with that Fram air filter.

I've always bought them for the past 30 years and never had any poor quality air filters from Fram.

Since my truck is used on construction sites, I'd much rather have the thicker, more packed NAPA (Wix) filter. In your case, I'm not sure why you changed it... the NAPA filter that you took out was just starting to do its job.

Although the Fram is likely more than sufficient for its intended market. It'll work fine.

I know I know i am quite Obsessive-compulsive
frown.gif
about this mountaineer. She is in beautiful condition. The 4.0 keeps me up at nights with timing chains dancing through my head. She was beautifully maintained 3-4,000 oci with filter. I will probably change the air filter every 12-15,000 miles.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: littleant
Hi Guys. Just installed Fram TGA9332 air filter purchased at Walmart $13.56. Very lightly oiled perfect fit. Last 3 pictures is the old NAPA Gold filter that was installed at the dealer at 55,600 miles when previous owner traded in. (Have all service records). I changed at 71,600. The NAPA 95 pleats Fram 65 pleats. Fram pleats look thicker. Fram fit a little better (no movement). NAPA Gold had a little movement side to side. Looks like the fram may flow better? your thoughts. The NAPA Gold was not that dirty daylight could be seen through out filter. I am thinking Fram is on a roll with this filter and the ultra oil filter. Hope they don't try to improve it. Will try a new fram fuel filter.

Nice! I have looked and looked and they are impossible to find up here! (My thread is right below yours)
Mind sending me a few?
grin.gif

Just noticed on the pic, it still reads 12,000 miles or 20,000 kms, which is the same as the Extra Guard? I thought, when I first heard about these, those numbers might increase with the Tough Guard filter, especially being oiled?
I know it is mostly marketing based on worst case scenarios so you will purchase them more frequently, but like their oil filters, I thought that the recommended change interval mileage would increase?

Highest wear is with a brand new air filter...they actually filter better with some accumulation. Opening the box and changing too often is actually detrimental. Fleetguard Cummins did an extensive study....There is obviously a tipping point when they become inefficient but the fact is you should run them a full service interval.

Originally Posted By: oliver88
Highest wear is with a brand new air filter...they actually filter better with some accumulation. Opening the box and changing too often is actually detrimental. Fleetguard Cummins did an extensive study....There is obviously a tipping point when they become inefficient but the fact is you should run them a full service interval.
So an air filter with some accumulation will filter better. Did not know that. But why. Is the new filter passing more dirt for a short amount of time ?

I like the yellow TG air filters, and the red STP Premium air filters at Autozone

I got a yellow TGA4309 made in Mexico on Amazon for $8.25, while Autozone charges $14.99 for a red PSA4309 made in USA.

Fram needs to increase the application coverage for the TG and STP Premium air filters
smile.gif

Any truth to the "double the dirt as ExtraGuard" claim? That implies the ExtraGuard catches less than half the "dirt" in the air passing through it, which I find hard to believe. ExtraGuard can't be that bad.

The TG air filters must be rare birds. I'm not sure I've ever seen one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I like the yellow TG air filters, and the red STP Premium air filters at Autozone
Who makes the red STP? A few days ago, I looked at STP oil filters in Autozone. They appear to come from multiple sources, Purolator and China (similar to Chinese Frams).

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Who makes the red STP? A few days ago, I looked at STP oil filters in Autozone. They appear to come from multiple sources, Purolator and China (similar to Chinese Frams).

My guess would be Champion, at least for the PSA4309. The font and writing on it (PSA4309, date code, Made in USA) is exactly the same as Fram's date code on the TGA4309

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back