Thicker Oil for Timing Chain Rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sisters 2005 Explorer 4.0 V6 has that terrible chain rattle (with only 30k miles on it). It used to only be audible on a cold startup, but now you can hear it all the time so who knows how much longer this thing has. It's come up on a year since it's last oil change using 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum, probably less than 3k miles (lots of short trips). Would it be beneficial to use a thicker oil to try and quiet it down?

If it's as bad as you say, the chain guides are already chunked/broken. Thicker oil won't help a thing.

You'll need to replace the guides.

You can try some High Milage 10w30.

But better to pull the motor and replace the timing components, front and back. If they break it takes the motor with it.

I don't have the tools, time, or knowledge to do it myself and I priced it around and it is an extremely expensive job, nearly as much as a whole motor replacement. I let her know what could happen but she just can't afford it now. This car has been plagued with issues. Weird electrical issues, HVAC blender issues, computer says change oil all the time even after resetting it, TPMS issues, abysmal fuel economy (our Suburban gets better gas mileage), peeling paint even though it is almost always garaged.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
abysmal fuel economy (our Suburban gets better gas mileage)

Well, with broken chain guides and a worn chain throwing timing out of spec, no wonder.

No oil is going to fix the engine.

30k is pretty low milage. There are 2 chain tensioner's (oil pressure fed) they could be plugged. I would change both of them before I did anything with the chains. But first you should drop the oil pan to see if pieces of the chain guides are in the pan. If they are then installing new tensioner's would not help. There are plenty videos online on changing the tensioner's. The engine would have to come out to change all the timing chains. I would not go to a heavier oil. Also that 4.0 is an interference engine and if the chains go when driving bent valves will more then likely occur.

I don't have the tools, time, or knowledge to do it myself and I priced it around and it is an extremely expensive job, nearly as much as a whole motor replacement. I let her know what could happen but she just can't afford it now. This car has been plagued with issues. Weird electrical issues, HVAC blender issues, computer says change oil all the time even after resetting it, TPMS issues, abysmal fuel economy (our Suburban gets better gas mileage), peeling paint even though it is almost always garaged.

It sounds like she is on borrowed time. If she cannot afford the fix what will she do when the timing chain or the guides decides to go?

Sorry to hear that. She may want to consider trading it in? But, everything is about $$$$$. Only a matter of time.

Good luck!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Might be a bad ground somewhere(electrical issues).

Originally Posted By: littleant
30k is pretty low milage. There are 2 chain tensioner's (oil pressure fed) they could be plugged. I would change both of them before I did anything with the chains. But first you should drop the oil pan to see if pieces of the chain guides are in the pan. If they are then installing new tensioner's would not help. There are plenty videos online on changing the tensioner's. The engine would have to come out to change all the timing chains. I would not go to a heavier oil. Also that 4.0 is an interference engine and if the chains go when driving bent valves will more then likely occur.

Is dropping the absolutely necessary or could there be any chunks that would come out the bolt hole?
Originally Posted By: PimTac

It sounds like she is on borrowed time. If she cannot afford the fix what will she do when the timing chain or the guides decides to go?

That's a good question she would have to answer if/when it happens. Probably won't be another Ford.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Sorry to hear that. She may want to consider trading it in? But, everything is about $$$$$. Only a matter of time.

Good luck!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Agreed, money is everything. Trade-in could be an option but with maybe a $5k-6k valuation would it be worth it? Who knows, maybe this will keep running for another 10 years rattling away.

Originally Posted By: emmett442
If it's as bad as you say, the chain guides are already chunked/broken. Thicker oil won't help a thing.

You'll need to replace the guides.

++++ We had a 2002 Explorer with the same condition starting at 37,000 miles and the UOA showed huge iron level in the oil along with the tell tale chain rattling sound at around ~2200 rpm, then it got worse. At that time the repair cost was very expensive and the replacement parts were the exact same junky parts that caused the problem initially. Traded it in for a new 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 V-8 which we still have with over 194,000 miles
grin.gif

Whimsey

Rogue the pieces are most likely larger and would not come out of the drain. The pan should not be that hard to do. At this point I would not drive the vehicle. A little investigation can go a long way. Remember a vehicle with a blown engine is worth a heck of a lot less then a vehicle with a noisy engine. There a people out there (private sale) that can do the repairs for 3-400 dollars. A nice summer project for them.

What oil filter is on it? On my Explorer it would make a noise if I ran anything other than a Motorcraft. 820S if I remember correctly. I always ran 5W30.

once repairs are made 6 month oil changes are recommended as you fall into severe service with lots of short trips!! i change my aunts 1999 jeep 4.0 oil every 6 months usually 2,000 miles or less as she generally drives only locally!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back