SHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin is thinking about purchasing a Ford Taurus SHO we drove one yesterday nice car lots of power all wheel drive. He was asking me about the eccoboost 3.5 V6 and if it's a good reliable motor so I figure I would ask here. I don't know much about the 3.5 EB in this car other then it has smaller turbos then the Ford truck 3.5 EB and makes 365 HP.

The one he is looking at is a leftover 2016 with only 91 miles it's loaded and has a six speed auto we did not talk price yet but the dealer says they need to move the car. So decent car or should we look at something ells? Anyone here own one?

There is a good FaceBook SHO group and also a forum. ShoForum.com is probably the best place for info.

Friend has one. If styling including interior is OK with your friend then go for it. These run strong and from everything I read and hear are reliable. I believe the same engine (or close) is used in many Explorers that law enforcement use..I know they are here in California...So they have been used and abused..and still are running. With AWD they really get off the line leaving many higher HP cars in the dust. A tad heavy but drives/rides well. For me only the question (assuming price is to his liking)is the styling..

A coworker has one, pretty red. I don't think he has had any problems with it. With that said the interior looks a bit downmarket and the thing is freakin' huge, it is a BIG car.

2010 Owner here. Bought new in Dec, 2009 now with 122k on the clock. Has been very reliable other than a bum knock sensor replaced under warranty. With the AWD it's fast and quiet and decent in the snow. I'd buy another if I were in the market as I quite like the styling both inside and outside. It's a shame Ford has let the Taurus languish - its a very capable vehicle.
I'd imagine a 2016 would be good as well. shoforum.com is a good resource to read.

THE EB 3.5 in them has been quite reliable - it's used in the SHO, MKS, Explorer, including the police versions.

It's a lot o car for the money. If your cousin likes it and the price is right he should go for it.

He likes it, he should go for it. My cousin had one. It ran OK but he refused to use 93 octane and never got the most of it.

For the money and being a Ford, I would go with a F-150 or similar.

But then again, I am more of an utilitarian kind of guy.

The only thing I'll throw out there is... Check out the Fusion Sport. Similar setup - V6 Turbo, all wheel drive. The Fusion may have slightly better handling characteristics, roughly same interior space, and should be a good bit cheaper.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I remember the older Yamaha powered ones.

I remember talking to some Ford engineers about the V8 version that replaced the Yamaha V6 that was so popular...one of them pulled me to the side and told me to NEVER buy one of the V8s. The V8 was a mandate from above and they wouldn't listen to the peons below them who tried to tell them it wasn't really working given the constraints they had.
I think there may have been a poster here who had one and liked it, but that version of the SHO didn't last long.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Power: yes. Fast: no. These things are HUGE!

Plenty of joe. A great example of a good stoplight to stoplight car. Can easily be tuned for more power. Even with brake updates it is not too good at high speed work. Way too small inside for my tastes especially as it is a large automobile. Not a handler either.

But they are powerful for sure, very quick off the line as is typical of AWD.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Power: yes. Fast: no. These things are HUGE!

I parked next to my coworker's last week and should've taken a picture. It is MASSIVE next to my car which I think is a decent size. Also weighs over 4,200lbs IIRC.

The only thing I don't like about them is that middle console thing that runs from the dash to the floor between the seats. If you have long legs like me,there's no room to stretch out.

I've heard good things about the Taurus. I had a 2014 Ford Taurus for a couple years. It was very dependable, great fuel mileage. Rode really well and quiet in the interior. Unfortunately; it was a company vehicle. No problems whatsoever for the 3 years I had it.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Yes, it's HUGE. Within a foot or so of my F150 Supercrerw shortbed. It's also quite wide. And it's heavy.

Can't speak to the handling at the limits but it does great for what it is -a large heavy car.

But slow it's not. In police trim it's the fastest of the police cars.

In Motor Trend's review of a 2013 they got 0-60 in 5.2 sec, 1/4 mile of 13.7 sec @ 103.2 mph.

While not really related to the thread, this is an interesting read about how the cop versions of the Caprice, Charger, and Taurus do. Michigan State Police 2017 Vehicle Testing

One thing's for sure - not much has changed from 2010-2017 outside of some interior tweaks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Yes, it's HUGE. Within a foot or so of my F150 Supercrerw shortbed. It's also quite wide. And it's heavy.

Can't speak to the handling at the limits but it does great for what it is -a large heavy car.

But slow it's not. In police trim it's the fastest of the police cars.

In Motor Trend's review of a 2013 they got 0-60 in 5.2 sec, 1/4 mile of 13.7 sec @ 103.2 mph.

While not really related to the thread, this is an interesting read about how the cop versions of the Caprice, Charger, and Taurus do. Michigan State Police 2017 Vehicle Testing

One thing's for sure - not much has changed from 2010-2017 outside of some interior tweaks.

That is with the performance package, a $2000 option. When stock, a 14s 1/4 mile is pretty slow these days. My Civic would give it a good run for the money up to 60.

Quote:
0 - 30 (sec): 2.4
0 - 45 (sec): 3.9
0 - 60 (sec): 5.8
0 - 75 (sec): 8.7
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 14.2 @ 99.11

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/trac...tiac-g8-gt.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back