Valve Steam Seals and Valves Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am calculating cost in terms of re-building a head for a 2003 Civic, just to have a ballpark in terms of overall cost.

Was wondering if anyone has any feedback for valve stem seals, as well as intake and exhaust valves?

Looking on RA, I can see a felPro valve stem seals set or beck Arnley(leaning towards it): RA

And valves Enginetech: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2003,civic,1.7l+l4,1415663,engine,exhaust+valve,5328 and Intake Valve

Was wondering if I should stay away from any of the above parts? Or if I should try something else or anyone has any experience with above parts? Thanks for any help
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Years ago I used Perfect Circle, but had to use a special cutter to slightly machine the head. But they were far superior to OEM.
Those PC valve stem seals are a quality product, but as stated above, they take a special cutter. You might find a shop that is capable of doing a valve job on your head. AES techs with experience.

Round about $450 for a reman head with camshaft from RockAuto, and that includes a $100 core deposit.

If it were mine, I would call an automotive machine shop, and get a price on rebuilding your head. It might not need any valves at all just a regrind.

Buy a new/newer car.Unless a car is something special the cost isn't really worth it.

I usually like OE valve seals. I feel that they are a known quantity.
Why do you feel that the valves need to be replaced? Have they become intimate with the pistons or something? You would have to have the seats freshened up for the new valves anyway, I'd just take the head and existing valves to the machine shop for reconditioning.

I did valve stem seals (without head removal) on my 6G74 Diamante and from my research I went with FelPro seals as they were high quality.

The car stopped using oil and has been about 40,000km trouble free km now.

I recommend FelPro from my research and my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back