If you were a kid growing up in 60's or 70's..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever recall playing with "electric football" games??My brother and I had one and were so happy painting the players and putting on the helmet decals and jersey numbers and lining up the players.Probably about 1972 or 73 when we got one. Then when the game is turned on the field vibrates and players go everywhere and fall over and get hungup on the sidelines and the quarterback was usually bigger and the football was a big magnet. It was total chaos basically. You could line the offense and defense up in whatever formation, but once turned but all they did was vibrate all over the place going backwards half the time. Tried it out maybe 2-3 times at the most. Our Mom probably sold it at a garage sale a year or 2 later. IMO one of the worst games ever.

I had a friend who had one. If I remember correctly,didn't the whole top just kind've vibrate when you'd turn it on and the players just went in all random directions?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I had a friend who had one. If I remember correctly,didn't the whole top just kind've vibrate when you'd turn it on and the players just went in all random directions?

Yep.

A friend of mine had one and we would just turn the vibration on and watch the players scramble around. Didn't the QBs have a spring loaded arm so you could "pass" the ball? Never got how that was supposed to really work...
What was really fun was the electronic football that came out in the '70s that had maybe 18 red LEDs that were supposed to be players, we could play that for hours and would fight bitterly over it (my friend's again, my parents couldn't afford that at the time).
I did get a pretty fun rod hockey tabletop game when I was younger, that was great until another friend of mine poured two glasses of chocolate milk into it during a visit...he acted like the first was an accident, but I figured out after the second that he was jealous of it and was trying to ruin it. He got his wish and also got sent home with a long term ban from our house...and I stopped getting nice toys not long after that when my family fell into a financial crisis.

Last edited:
A cousin had one, and we played it every Thanksgiving, Christmas, July 4, Easter, etc. family get-together. For hours.

The players' bases had little "fingers" that would aim the player basically forward whenever you turned the vibrating board on, and we got pretty good at adjusting those fingers to make a player go left, right, or straight. Barbaric by modern toy standards, but HUGE fun.

Wasn’t there sort of a spring loaded qb arm, so u could pass too? I see that was asked. We didn’t pass much
$16 what a deal

Last edited:
Wanted one desperately as a kid. Many yeats later after I found out they were terrible, I didn't feel so bad about not getting one.

I had one like that. There was a quarterback who could throw and one player had a magnet in the base and you had a "joy stick" of sorts to control that player.

Can't find a picture of that. Most of the content on the web refers to Tudor Games Electric Football.

I think I played it on Christmas when I got it and that was about it.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Wasn’t there sort of a spring loaded qb arm, so u could pass too? I see that was asked. We didn’t pass much
$16 what a deal

Had one. I had the one with the spring loaded kicker for field goals. Problem with that, is that little magnet "ball" would go flying through the house and then we could never find it inside the shag carpet. I also had the baseball version of that same type of game. Mattel came out with the red dot football electronic game.

I did not have the hockey game but a couple of friend did. The Hockey game with the players on the rods was pretty decent game overall. A couple of spots where the puck could get out of reach, but at least you could actually play the game and it was fairly realistic. As for the football quarterback ..I doubt if a pass was ever completed ever by anyone who had those games. The pass would sail 5 ft out of the stadium every time, same with the spring loaded kicker.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Yep.

You had to adjust the brushes on the base of the players; that gave you some control over which direction they went.

But yeah, pretty poor game overall I don't think we played ours much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back