Whats Best Oil to Prevent LSPI issue & Preignition

Status
Not open for further replies.
My g/f and I just bought a nice 36k miles off Lease 2015 Kia Optima SX 2.0 Turbo. After doing my homework and talking to Kia service departments, I felt the Kia 2.0 Turbo for 2015 was a sure bet to go the distance. Then in my other thread asking about Oil recommendations, I also learn and Google about lots of other various manufactures having pre ignition knock, and LSPI issues. Not just Kia, but most other car makes also.

I also then see Kia and Hyundai just recalled up to 2 million car engines mandatorily due to premature blown engines. Read it was mostly due to the machining process at factory of the crankshafts grinding, leaving metal shaving and debris. The debris got in the oil lines and oil lube flow holes in the cranks also clogging them. Leading to many Blown Engines.

Our Kia car was manufactured in Sept 2014. But is a 2015 Model year. I know that lugging the 4cly 2.0 Turbo, and low RPM is a NO - NO. Also I plan to run nothing but, Top Tier Premium 93 octane Fuel in the car. Just had the Oil changed when I got it, even before I knew of the recalls and issues, so that I knew what oil was in it. I had a Kia dealer check the car. No problems, and used a Kia Filter with Pennzoil Plat Gen Dextrol 2, in 5-30 Full Sys.

Think I read something about oil types possibly affecting the pre ignition, but running a oil that would possibly deter that, would also not have as much wear protection long term. My best thought was "quick" run to btog forum and get those lube experts to help. Guys help? Give a a definite answer please of a oil to run Name - Type - Weight? Kia Filter? or Fram UG sys? Thanks!!!

Yep. The best you can do right now for LSPI oil wise is D1G2 oil. Lots of it out now. With that engine, I would keep oil changes at 5k miles or less also.

I know this will cause massive controversy, but I moved our octane up from 87.5-88 to 91, and the fuel dilution and soot are noticeably lower. This is on both of our F-150 2.7 Ecoboosts. I think you ought to run the 93 for various reasons. Just my HO.

Originally Posted By: jgscott
Think I read something about oil types possibly affecting the pre ignition, but running a oil that would possibly deter that, would also not have as much wear protection long term. My best thought was "quick" run to btog forum and get those lube experts to help. Guys help? Give a a definite answer please of a oil to run Name - Type - Weight? Kia Filter? or Fram UG sys? Thanks!!!

Oil filter: definitely Fram Ultra for a lot of reasons.
Oil: 5w30 full synthetic dexos1Gen2 is all you need. Any brand. Change oil according to the Owner's Manual or oil life monitor on the dashboard.

Last edited:
I agree with the dexos1 Gen 2 suggestion above, be sure that you're getting that and not dexos2 as that standard does not include an LSPI mitigation test (I know it's very confusing). There other standards in the works that will test for LSPI resistance (GF6, SN+, etc.), but they are all a long ways off and dexos1 Gen 2 is all we have now for a major standard that covers it.
If you're looking to stick with 5W30s, there are plenty of d1G2 oils in that grade at WalMart and other retailers. Here is the master list of dexos1 Gen 2 oils...interesting that the only 0W30 on there is M1 AFE, but there are plenty of 5W30s, 5W20s, and 0W20s.

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

Over 500 oils listed, although many of them are not retailed in the US.
In addition, Amsoil claims that many of their oils have passed the d1G2 LSPI tests, but are not eligible for the license because they are too high in sulfated ash (SA). I would think you'd be safe with those, too, as I feel Amsoil is a reputable company and take their word regarding the LSPI testing...check with their website for the exact oils they claim are LSPI tested.

Last edited:
As others have said, a dexos1Gen2 oil is a good choice, probably in the heaviest recommended viscosity.

But it’s unlikely that the oil will do anything to prevent LSPI in your vehicle. OEMs have been aware of the LSPI phenomenon and, as it wasn’t particularly well understood when your Kia was made, they took a different approach by enriching the fuel mixture under any conditions where LSPI was likely to occur. This is generally effective but inefficient as fuel economy is compromised, fuel dilution of oil occurs, etc. The fact that a different oil is in the sump will not change the engine programming, so the fuel enrichment will continue.

Keep in mind that LSPI is sudden and potentially catastrophic, so the the technique that’s been used for decades in responding to traditional spark knock (waiting for evidence of knock and then taking action) isn’t a solution for LSPI.

The reason GM pushed for dexos1Gen2 and the rest of the industry is clamoring for SN Plus is so they can relax on the LSPI front and reprogram engines to produce better fuel economy.

If you have a non T-GDI vehicle, I would drive that instead like who knows, if it's 101 F outside and you plan on driving in the Atlanta gridlock.

Originally Posted By: Danh
As others have said, a dexos1Gen2 oil is a good choice, probably in the heaviest recommended viscosity.

But it’s unlikely that the oil will do anything to prevent LSPI in your vehicle. OEMs have been aware of the LSPI phenomenon and, as it wasn’t particularly well understood when your Kia was made, they took a different approach by enriching the fuel mixture under any conditions where LSPI was likely to occur. This is generally effective but inefficient as fuel economy is compromised, fuel dilution of oil occurs, etc. The fact that a different oil is in the sump will not change the engine programming, so the fuel enrichment will continue.

Keep in mind that LSPI is sudden and potentially catastrophic, so the the technique that’s been used for decades in responding to traditional spark knock (waiting for evidence of knock and then taking action) isn’t a solution for LSPI.

The reason GM pushed for dexos1Gen2 and the rest of the industry is clamoring for SN Plus is so they can relax on the LSPI front and reprogram engines to produce better fuel economy.

LSPI is also called Stochastic Pre-Ignition, SPI...the word stochastic is key, telling us that it is a random process whose probability can be affected by conditions like engine load, RPM, oil composition, etc. Classic knock is also affected by the conditions of the engine, but the correlation to spark timing is strong and classic knock control systems (like one I worked on the electronics for years ago) can simply retard timing when knock is detected or even use a feedback loop to adjust the timing such that the engine is on the verge of knocking or even knocking very, very lightly (the OEM told us this was the sweet spot they wanted to ride).
One theory about LSPI is that it is caused by tiny solid combustion byproducts that can dislodge from a cylinder wall or piston and trigger early ignition. I guess you could argue this would not constitute a random event if there were some way to observe these tiny, hot specks well enough to predict when they are going to come loose, but from the macro point of view they are random because we can't observe them.
OEMs have certainly come up with engine control modifications to limit LSPI events, but it is worthy of note to me that GM specified oil changes with AC Delco 5W30 synth in the US and Mobil 1 5W30 (well known a few years ago for having a formula that was likely to mitigate LSPI) in Canada when their 1.5l turbos were recalled for LSPI. My car already on a M1 5W30 diet when it was recalled for LSPI and I am sticking with d1G2 oils at this time, even though my car was reprogrammed as part of the recall.

Castrol Magnatec Full Synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 2. Least expensive I've found. $17.47 @ Walmart. Plan on switching over at next OCI now that free dealer OC are done.

Last edited:
So thanks to all. Already going to use Top Tier 93 octane gas (only) as I said in the 1st post.

So below this is the 5-30 oil I picked up from Walmart. Except it was only $22.98 from the shelf. It has the dexos on label......... but now i'm not really sure if it was dexos1 Gen2? I need to find the receipt to be sure?

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum.html

So one posted a Name type- Castrol Magnatec Full Synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 2 (thank you too!).

So what would be some other Name/Type/Brands/weight?

Thus far I'm thinking based on these answers.

*Castrol Magnatec Full Sys Dexos 1 Gen 2 or PP like I just bought in link if it is correct Dexos and Gen?
* Fram Ultra Sys Filter

Any other brand type oil? And should I run 5-30...... or 5-40?????

Thanks any and all comments are Appreciated and Welcomed!!!

Not sales pitching and i am sure to be flamed out but, Amsoil's new formulations are 100% effective against LSPI and will handle the turbo without issue.
49.gif

I have 2 Sonata's 2011 2.0T Turbo SE & 2013 2.4 GLS both are GDI engine's. I have been running Penngrade Select 5W-30 for 5 oil changes now and even did a UOA with Blackstone. They said I could go up to 7,500 on my 2.0 Turbo with no issues.

Like the previous posts. Stick with a Full Synthetic 5W-30 Dexos 1/Gen 2 and you will be fine. I also use WIX-XP Full Synthetic filters. I mainly run Costco or Shell 93, but have switched back and forth to 87 octane. But also use a Top Tier Gas.

I started running new PP 5W30 D1Gen2 in my non - turbo GDI Sonata ... It's a thin for grade 30W which allows the engine to run more free like a 20 weight does - sort of like the best of both worlds in having 30W protection from fuel dilution and more free engine performance and slightly better gas mileage like a 20W . *Previously I have run M1 5W30 which is a heavy for grade 30W and I could tell a difference in gas mileage and how the engine responded to the thicker for grade 30W ... If I used M1 5W30 again it would be for the summer - conversely , I believe I have found my new non - turbo GDI engine oil with PP 5W30 D1Gen2 synthetic oil .

So thanks to all. Already going to use Top Tier 93 octane gas (only) as I said in the 1st post.
So below this is the 5-30 oil I picked up from Walmart. Except it was only $22.98 from the shelf. It has the dexos on label......... but now i'm not really sure if it was dexos1 Gen2? I need to find the receipt to be sure?
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum.html
So one posted a Name type- Castrol Magnatec Full Synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 2 (thank you too!).
So what would be some other Name/Type/Brands/weight?
Thus far I'm thinking based on these answers.
*Castrol Magnatec Full Sys Dexos 1 Gen 2 or PP like I just bought in link if it is correct Dexos and Gen?
* Fram Ultra Sys Filter
Any other brand type oil? And should I run 5-30...... or 5-40?????
Thanks any and all comments are Appreciated and Welcomed!!!

You won't be able to find a 5W40 dexos1 Gen 2 oil, they are are 0W20, 5W20, or 5W30s with a single 0W30 thrown in (M1 AFE). You can certainly pick a 5W40 if you want, but you won't get the only major standard in effect now that actually tests for LSPI mitigation.
You should be able to find the dexos1 license code on the bottle you bought and see if it matches the one from the Gen 2 master list...should be D10070GE014 for the 5W30. The older pre-Gen 2 dexos1 licenses typically start with two letters.
It should be very easy to find dexos1 Gen 2 oils at a place like Walmart, some brands like Mobil and Valvoline will display the dexos1 Gen 2 logo on the front of the bottle (the Gen 2 is quite small, so look closely) while others require a look at the back to see what you're getting. Mobil 1 AP is a weird case, the appropriate grades of that have had Gen 2 licenses since they were introduced but I haven't seen any bottles with the Gen 2 logo yet.
Even oils like 7-11 brand, Service Pro, and SuperTech have gone dexos1 Gen 2...they're everywhere!

I just confirmed that the oil I just put in at oil change was PP 5w-30 Dexos 1, Gen 2. With the Kia Factory filter.

Guess I'll just stick with that Oil, or use the Castrol Magnatec Full Synthetic 5w-30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 with a Wix Filter next time. Anybody want to tell me what they would choose? Or..... something better or different?

Again thanks for all the info. I had no idea about the Kia and other Manufacturers LSPI issues until I came here. I was going to run the PP Ultra which does not have the Dexos 1 Gen 2. Glad for all the info and advise.

I have about 2,000 miles using PP D1 Gen 2 in Sedona in my signature - so far a very nice oil with no issues to report . GDI non - turbo of mine runs smooth , has good power , good gas mileage and is quiet ... I bought the PP D1 Gen 2 on roll back at WM for $22.67 for a 5 qrt jug then added a Fram Ultra oil filter - what's not to like ?
I just confirmed that the oil I just put in at oil change was PP 5w-30 Dexos 1, Gen 2. With the Kia Factory filter.

Guess I'll just stick with that Oil, or use the Castrol Magnatec Full Synthetic 5w-30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 with a Wix Filter next time. Anybody want to tell me what they would choose? Or..... something better or different?

Again thanks for all the info. I had no idea about the Kia and other Manufacturers LSPI issues until I came here. I was going to run the PP Ultra which does not have the Dexos 1 Gen 2. Glad for all the info and advise.

Last edited:

D10070GE014 should be the dexos1 license number on the back of the jug if its Gen2.
Or, easier, it may say "Gen2" on the front on the lower right hand corner of the dexos1 logo.
We have noticed the license number will indicate for sure if its Gen2, while Gen2 might be missing from the logo for slightly old shelf stock.

Got the oil from Walmart. It was $22.47 5 quart jug. It did say PP 5w-30 Dexos 1, Gen 2on the front left bottom seal on the bottle.

I know there is so much incorrect un-scientific info on the web, but some vids I saw tearing apart the Fram Ultra Sys Filter, vs the Wix sys Filter said the Wix was much better. But then there is also the flow rate question. IDK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back