2015 Kia Optima SX 2.0 Turbo Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey my g/f is getting a pre owned great condition 2015 Kia Optima SX 2.0 Turbo w/ 36k on it. Carfax said it had regular Dealer oil changes every 7500k up till now.

Did a little reading about recommendations on Kia Turbo oils. Want to run the PP Ultra 5w-30 full sys oil in it. Not sure if Kia Brand Filter that is made for a blend sys oil will hold up ok with Full sys oil?

So will the PP Ultra be the best in this 2.0 Turbo? Filter? Read something about run a GDI? Not even sure about what GDI oil is? What are some recommendations you expert think? Oil, Brand, Type, Weight, Filter. Thanks. Love this forum!

For a combo of GDI and turbo, I'd go with any Dexos 1 v 2 oil. Last time I owned a HyunKia (13 Rio-gdi, not turbo), I think they allowed a broad variation in weight. I always ran 5w20.

Last edited:
You may use the Kia 504 filter with any oil of your choice. Those filters are built extremely well. The filter doesn't care what oil goes through it. I would stick with a 5k interval on a 2.0 turbo Kia (or less) with any name brand synthetic 5-30. PP would be just fine.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
You may use the Kia 504 filter with any oil of your choice. Those filters are built extremely well. The filter doesn't care what oil goes through it. I would stick with a 5k interval on a 2.0 turbo Kia (or less) with any name brand synthetic 5-30. PP would be just fine.

If it was my car, +1 on this guidance.

Run anything that shows up on this list...

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

dexos1Gen2 oils are meant for small displacement Turbo GDi engines to help combat LSPI (catastrophic knock events) and reduce timing chain wear. Another option is going with a Xw40 A3/B4 oil.

All that being said, i doubt PUP would be an issue.
Any quality filter will do. I can't tell you the last time i used an OE oil filter on the SFS 2.0T.

The Kia Owner's Manual for the 2015 2.0L GDI-T calls for an ACEA A5-rated oil with various grades (5W30, 5W40, etc.) depending on temperature. Because of LSPI issues in these engines, a Dexos1 Gen2 oil should be considered. PP meets the D1 G2 specs but PUP does not. My recommendation would be to use the newer PP that is D1 G2 rated in a 5W40 grade. The 5W40 is preferred over 5W30 because of fuel dilution issues.

Edit- Kia recommends the OEM oil filter because of problems identified in some after-market filters.

Last edited:
We got the Kia Optima SX 2.0 Turbo yesterday. Not knowing what oil the dealer changed it with, I bought the PP Dextor , 5-30. Took to the Kia Dealer, had them change it. With a Kia filter. Car checked out perfect.

I'm going to change at 5k intervals. Still wonder if the Fram UG Sys filter would be better, and or the 5-40 weight?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back