Engine for Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the dealerships I am looking to deal with has engines for life on all the new cars (Honda). I have not been given any information in hand on the details on it but was told just have to pay for oil changes and filters at the manufacturer times at that particular dealership. Anyone have experience in these plans?

Also saw one of the other dealerships had $300!! Nitrogen fill up sounds like they are going for anything and everything these days

Bet it's only 70% nitrogen, rounded up. Although it does say "inflation", as in price inflation.

Originally Posted By: Brolly
$300!! Nitrogen fill up sounds like they are going for anything and everything these days ]

That's just insane.
Compressed air is already 78% nitrogen.

Bad thing is they probably don’t do anything except for change the color of the valve stem cap. All new cars “come” with this added item at this particular dealer. When I bought my 2008 Accord new from this exact dealership it was $100 but they forgot to put it in the deal I didn’t say a word until it was over.

Interesting! I checked my local Honda dealer and they don't offer the engine for life program. Many others in various states do.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Likely the dealer also requires that ALL maintenance they suggest along with tire rotations, tire replacements, etc. must be performed by them in order for the lifetime engine warranty to remain in effect. That's how it is at a multi-line (Dodge, RAM, Chrysler, Toyota, etc.) dealer near my house.

Their "scheme" first started with "free oil & filter changes" for the life of the vehicle some years back.

They no longer offer the oil changes for life of the car. Per the salesman it was separate plan and not many paid for the plan. So now they offer the engine for life plan. I do not know if the customer has to pay for the engine for life plan or is it provided without cost. Will be interesting to dig a little more.

Note the dealers asking price with notation that it's not the MSRP...

Simple way to get idiots to think they're getting a better deal when the adds are stripped off...

Also probably is used for the basis of what a lease price would be.

I worked for a dealership that offered engine replacement for the life of the vehicle, they never replaced an engine in my 18 months there but they sure made a lot of money off of this promotion.

First, all service had to be done by their dealership. It's not like a cars warranty where as long as you can prove it was done, the warranty will be honored. This is their offering and they can make the rules. The service schedule must be followed to the letter and the dealer's service department must be the one to perform the work.

Second, this only applied to cars that were out of warranty. If it was under warranty, the manufacturer paid for the engine replacement. If they declined the warranty, then you probably failed to perform adequate service and therefore getting the dealership off of the hook for replacing it.

Third, engines for life were only for the original purchasers of the vehicle. Not too uncommon, but still a surprise to some people.

All in all, even if the dealership did have to replace an engine in a customer's car, they still made more money off of servicing it than they spent in replacing the engine. Promotions like this are simply money generators, it brings customers in to purchase cars (who doesn't want free engines for life! and it makes sure that they service their cars there, and many dealers make the most money through their service department.

It's kind've like when I bought my 300ZX,the dealership offered free tires for life,as long as I let them do all the oil changes. Nope,nada,never,no way!!

Nitrogen Inflation charge ... $300. And it makes it sound that was for one time!

Suckers are born every day.
crazy.gif

Two ruses designed to bring in unsophisticated buyers. I've owned well over thirty cars and had one engine failure and that was coolant related. Don't Valvoline and QS have engine guarantees if you change oil every four thousand miles. If a million people change oil when the OLM says 40% and they have to pay for 100 engine failures they're way ahead. The dealer ever more so.

Engine guarantees and $300 nitrogen fills, along with stripes and sealant are often used as fodder for people who want to pay more money and get a bigger discount. To me it represents a flim flam dealership. If I see this on Moroney sticker add ons I yell invectives at the nearest salesman. With emphasis on YELL.

The oil change HAS to be there? I'd pass.

Last summer I was on a 5,000 mile road trip in a family member's new Avalon. Half way through it was due for the 10k mile oil change, stopped at the dealer because the tires were out of balance and had them do the oil change. What if you can't get to that dealer "on time" according to them?

Nothing is as miserable as buying a Japanese car.

The same demographic that wets the bed over car repairs is also clueless about mechanicals. Hence the rapacious dealer add ons.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Nothing is as miserable as buying a Japanese car.

The same demographic that wets the bed over car repairs is also clueless about mechanicals. Hence the rapacious dealer add ons.

You may have a point. Just bumped into a friend that bought a 2018 Honda. He was looking for a deal on a 2017, but they didn't have it, right there. Told me he was there for about 8 hours, a 9-5 type day. I told him he should have just got up and left at one point, it's a new car, it'd always be there. But he said he wanted that car and left with it the same day. Afterwards he realized they charged him $450 for the loan. He also signed up for the warranty too, but he was able to get his money back on that one afterwards.

When it comes to cars you should pay as you go and only purchase what you need right now. (this does not include BITOG oil hoarders lol)

You never know what the future will bring. I spent almost $700 on IPD brake parts for my wife's 850 Volvo. All the parts were installed over the weekend. The car got totaled that next week in a spectacular accident.

I had to buy the salvage back for $280 to get most of my parts back. LINK

Any kind of extended warranty or engine for life would not have been worth much.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The oil change HAS to be there? I'd pass.

I would pass too, even if I had to just buy the oil and filter from them, or worse have them service the vehicle. But I would have some fun with that $300 fee for nitrogen filled tires before walking out the door not buying anything from them.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. The $300 nitrogen dealership I’m not even going to go to and they are just pretty much in my backyard. They have changed over the years and don’t care for their sales team. The other (engine for life) is still close under 15 miles away. I have 2 others that are both about 40 miles away. 1 has $700 documents fees and the other horrible sales team.

Does anyone have a Honda dealership they recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back