Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my quest of finding issue for one of our oil burner Civic, I came across Scotty Kilmer video and he suggested to use Lucas Oil Stabilizer(https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10001-Heavy-Duty-Stabilizer/dp/B000AS1XYO).

Was wondering, if anyone here has any personal experience with it? If so, any feedback for it?

Thanks for the advice and help
thumbsup2.gif

We must have watched the same video. I was going to write that Scotty likes it.

Does your Civic smoke?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
We must have watched the same video. I was going to write that Scotty likes it.

Does your Civic smoke?

Yes, I guess on a Toyota engine - where Scotty showed it
laugh.gif

Yes, Civic is an oil burner, unfortunately.

I tried it once and was nervous after putting it in. I used it in the fall and it came out of the bottle like grease and it gave me a CEL so I dumped it.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I tried it once and was nervous after putting it in. I used it in the fall and it came out of the bottle like grease and it gave me a CEL so I dumped it.

Thanks, definitely a no-go for me. I rather add oil.
laugh.gif

Don't ever fill your power steering with Lucas PS leak stop.....when the cold weather hits,you will regret it....even 2 years later.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Don't ever fill your power steering with Lucas PS leak stop.....when the cold weather hits,you will regret it....even 2 years later.

Thanks, I have never used any of Lucas products.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is just thick oil with no additives.

Suggest switching to an HM oil, going up a grade or two, or both.

I have, however, had success with Lucas PS Stop Leak putting an end to a PS pump front front shaft leak. No issues for me in the frigid NC winter.

Depends on where at in the state and or the weather pattern. In Asheville area or Boone it can get surprisingly very cold at times. In eastern NC it takes a weather pattern like three weeks ago in order for it down into the single digits for low overnight temperatures. Even some areas near Roanoke Rapids got to -4°F during that very cold spell with snow on the ground.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Lucas Oil Stabilizer is just thick oil with no additives.

thus I call it a "subtractive" (the opposite of additive)...it dilutes the additives in your oil, only adding viscosity.

Originally Posted By: johnD2
Schaeffer's 132 Moly EP will slow it down.

It's a good product for the OP's application, and he can get it on Amazon I believe.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
What oil are you using now?

Thanks, I just added ST 10W30 HM, along with MMO and keeping my fingers crossed.

I love how people use LOS and MMO with the same expectations.
KV wise LOS>SAE70, MMO What am I missing?

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
LOS will fill in the gaps in cylinders if the engine parts are worn out, and that reduces oil consumption. But if there is simply carbon buildup on the rings and anywhere the oil touches - then MMO is the way to go, as it will clean out the gunk and will reduce oil consumption.
So technically they do reach the same goal - reduce oil consumption, BUT only in the right application. Always gotta know if the engine is simply worn out, or carboned up.

Soak the pistons with Gumout MultiTune with PEA or use Breakfree CLP gun lube. If the rings are sticking try a combo of Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver and LM MoS2. Make sure PCV is working. Couldnt hurt to use a PEA based fuel system cleaner either and get the top side clean too. Go for highway drive.

The Mystery. You already have The Marvel.

EDIT: To be fair, I don't have anything specific against MMO except the name, aqnd even that you could argue is honest, since its pretty much a synonym for snake oil.

Last edited:

KV wise LOS>SAE70.

Didn't know that.

There was a collapsed 55 gal drum of the stuff behind the fire safety testing station with a few gallons left in it, but I didn't know what it was for so I didn't lift it.

Annoyed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back