When It Rains it Pours

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in another thread, I'm having an ongoing issue with my wife's Kia's charging system. This past Friday, my hour and twenty minute railroad commute turned into 3 1/2 hours to work and three home. While on the train going home, my wife texts me a pic of the dash in my Suburban and says what does this mean? The CEL was lit but all of the gauges were perfect. I asked was it running ok? She replied yes, so I said I'd put the code reader on it when I get home.
I got home, hook up to it and it says something about the TPS. I figured since I have a spare throttle body in the back for breakdowns while traveling, I'd swap it out so the CEL goes out and the truck will remote start since it's been 8 degrees out.
I swapped the throttle body with the new one, reconnected the battery, started the truck for three minutes, off for one minute and on for three again. This was supposed to teach the computer to idle the new TB. Seemed fine. I then drove about ten miles to a friend's house to look at the gas burner and then to see my dad. On the way home, the truck was acting funny and the rpms were up a little but if I braked, it would idle down to 600 where it belonged. I got home, put it in Park and the idle shot up to 3000.
I disconnected the battery again and tried the three minutes on, one off, three on. Never went below 3000.
Out of desperation, and this is our only vehicle until I get yet another new alternator for the Kia, I put the old throttle body back on.
Runs like a champ. No CEL.
Anyone have any idea how to make the computer learn the new part? I would hate to have done this on the road and then try to get it into gear screaming at 3000 rpm. That wouldn't do my trans any favors.
Oh yeah... I did all of this with a raging cold.

Last edited:
Next time try connecting the battery terminals together to discharge any capacitance.

Could be that when you installed the new TB it was cocked slightly and you had an air leak.

Could be that you just needed to drive the truck around longer.

Ok... The CEL started coming up again so I tried this again. Disconnected both cables and touched them together. Also kept them off the battery for about twenty minutes. Installed the new throttle body assembly, reconnected everything, did the three on, one off three on thing. Truck idles nice and has no CEL.
Took it on a few errands, seems fine. Thanks for the advice, Roofless.

I don't remember. Sorry It was like a month ago. I didn't put the code reader on it again.

thumbsup2.gif

Glad it worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back