Hyundai dealership maint pkg - Performax oil filte

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
After performing a diy oil change on the Santa Fe, i took the Sonata for one of its "free oil changes and tire rotation." I brought my own oil (GTX) and from where i stand, can see them pouring it in. What i didn't know is that along with Hyindai filters, they also use a brand owned by Pennzoil, Performax oil filters. It was explained that they meet OE quality and because Hyundai and Shell have an agreement to use QState oil as dealer fill, more dealerships will also get Performax filters...some branded as Pennzoil or Quaker State as well as the brand name, Performax. They used PO-37 in my Sonata. No rattle or noise. Seems to work just fine. I've seen some older threads where this filter was cut open...seems pretty decent for a 5K mile oci.

Do you have any experience with them?

Performax is similar to other Puro made jobber filters, like the Quaker State & Purolator Classic-5K is a good limit. I'm surprised that a Hyundai/Kia dealer wouldn't use their own filters exclusively, give the well documented issues with aftermarket ones.

Originally Posted By: wemay
...They used PO-37 in my Sonata.....

As noted a Purolator made for Performax/Pennzoil filter. Should be ok for 5k mile oci, especially so in your well maintained vehicle.

That said, viewing an older bitog c&p, while a PO-37 looked ok at 7k mile oci/fci, it's two sizes down from the H/K OEM 9688/3593A size. It's equivalent to the 6607/14612 shorty. Though now common for quick lubes and indies, filter downsizing not my favorite practice, moreso when two sizes down.

The spiel they gave you sounds like hogwash to me. IMO, main reason Performax OF used instead of silicone adbv H/K OEM filter is to save $$$$$$. Plain and simple.

I think the well documented issues with aftermarket filters is more a non-issue than anything else. I say that having owned two Hyundais in different eras. While I personally know someone who cured their "tick" with an H/K OE filter, the issue revolves around an over 10 year old TSB which basically said to use an oil filter with an ADBV and you're good. Sure, the use of Performax filters is an economics/business partner move.

I currently use a Fram Ultra XG9688 ( which evidently Fram adjusted the psi on to meet Hyundai spec ) with no issue and my bet is that if it meets Hyundai spec, there won't be an issue no matter who manufactures it. I'm sure a jobber filter that meets spec would work as well as an OE or name brand one in the "tick" or "rattle" department and for a 5K OCI. However, I might have reservations about something smaller than the 9688 if that's the case with the Performax used. Can you get two sizes smaller without it being a doughnut??

There was a reason the oil change was free.
grin.gif

I shoots the only use OEM filter when I go to my dealer to pieces.

I went to the same site before I posted previously. The PO-37 is the filter PZ specs for your vehicle. Meaning they will back it (or should) with their filter warranty. However, it is a downsized filter (through consolidation) from the OEM spec size.

Edit. They also list the PO-37 for Nissan Altimas, which actually do OEM spec the 6607 shorty size for 2.5L.

Last edited:
Thanks Sayjac. I PM'd GenaFishbeck before going to the PZ site too. The site info puts it rest for me. I have no issue running this filter...

If I go to a dealer for an oil change (free or not), I would expect an OEM filter.

Sounds like they are cheaping out. Is this something you paid for or was it free for buying the vehicle?

Also not understanding why you bring your own oil for a free oil change?

As said, this is an undersized filter compared to OEM, as well as, IMO, A sub-par filter.

I had a torn PZ-37 filter and there was another one here as well.
The filter above does not look like a Puro made filter to me, looks like one of the made in China filters.

WOW! Stealership should use OEM. What does your owners manual say? I would call Hyundai and inquire. Made in China price value filters. God bless America! Heck, Denso is now made in China.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

wemay
Being curious, what price are they selling the OE filters at? I can buy the OE filters cheaper at our local KIA dealer. AutoNation Hyundai thinks they are made of gold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
wemay
Being curious, what price are they selling the OE filters at? I can buy the OE filters cheaper at our local KIA dealer. AutoNation Hyundai thinks they are made of gold.

This dealership charges $8/oem filter. But i really have no issue with this Pennzoil filter either.

I kind of figured on that. I was thinking using the Pennzoil filter vs. the OE will probably give them a little extra profit in the long term.

Quote:
..The filter above does not look like a Puro made filter to me.....

Looks exactly like a Puro made filter to me. Only missing confirming item is the Puro flat spring bypass design used on Puro 14612/14610, not shown in pics. Shown here.

x0zehh.jpg

I forgot to add that one, thanks. Yes, looks exactly like a Puro to me as well. I'm also not, nor have i ever been anti-Purolator. But that's a discussion for another day.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I forgot to add that one, thanks. Yes, looks exactly like a Puro to me as well. I'm also not, nor have i ever been anti-Purolator. But that's a discussion for another day.

+1 Although, I’ve never gone out of my way to buy them. Advance Auto Parts is a bit pricey.

Last edited:
True as well. But i do have some L14459 that i bought from KMart when they were $2. I have bought PL14459 at reg price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back