Cool resource to identify base oil group / type

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following website will show you the base oil group of many different specific oils, atfs etc.

I've seen Havoline, Valvoline, Citgo and more in there. Full synthetic is distinguished from Group III. I even saw a MB229.5 approved oil that is semi syn.

Post anything interesting that you find.

http://energybp.com/lubricants/automotive.html

I think the cool thing is being able to filter by OEM Approval or OEM Spec to see what fluids meet your needs and what the base oil options are.

It says this for the Chevron Delo 5W40. Is this Group 3 or Group 4? (I assume Group 4).

Basestock Class Full Synthetic: 100% Synthetic

Last edited:
Does anyone really believe they spent over $20,000 to come up with this data?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
crazy2.gif

They seem to be really lacking in their information/details.....

I'd treat it as a starting point for possible options and then verify specs from the manufacturer.

For example, it was interesting for me to see a list of fluids that met the Mazda MV spec.

It may also be useful for those in countries where it is harder to figure out from other sources which fluids may meet certain specs.

crazy2.gif

Was my thoughts...I remember when we all donated to get German Castrol pulled apart.

OTOH, paying a graduate to pull apart MSDS' would get a lot of what's there.

crazy2.gif

If they did, they ought to get their money back. I checked my company's products they have listed and they are incorrect.

Also, the list of companies in the 4-stroke moto engine category is missing an awful lot of companies. Namely any company that motorcycle riders buy from outside of convenience stores.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
crazy2.gif

If they did, they ought to get their money back. I checked my company's products they have listed and they are incorrect.

Also, the list of companies in the 4-stroke moto engine category is missing an awful lot of companies. Namely any company that motorcycle riders buy from outside of convenience stores.

You've confirmed what I expected. Thank you
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back