Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage lowered consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I finally found the cure for the oil consumption in my 94 Corolla; I've probably done half a dozen piston soaks with MMO, Seafoam etc. with varying results; the consumption sslows and then comes back. I recently did another soak with Berryman B12 Chemtool (STRONG STUFF), and refilled with Pennzoil Platinum HM 10w-30. After 3,000 miles, it's hardly burned a drop! I've had this car since 2002 when it had 70,000 miles and it's always burned oil; sometimes a quart every 1,000 miles. That has led to pretty bad combustion chamber deposits which lead to pinging. With the Pennzoil after doing the soak, I'm not getting any pinging at all. Just wanted to report. I'll continue using the Pennzoil HM synthetic - stuff seems to work and it seems to help clean out an engine/rings with deposits.

Last edited:
Sounds about right
smile.gif

Next soak should be KREEN, then Pennz Plat
laugh.gif

Although if it's an upright 4-banger - I'd soak with Break-Free gun solvent overnight. Something like 1/4 cup of Break-Free in each cylinder. Give it time to work on any carbon ...

Re-install plugs next day, drive it around until hot, change oil and filter and your good
smile.gif

Last edited:
That's great! I am also having great results with penn platinum HM. My 07 Cadillac 3.6 previously burned 1 qt per 1000 miles, but now uses virtually none.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I recently did another soak with Berryman B12 Chemtool and refilled with Pennzoil Platinum HM 10w-30. After 3,000 miles, it's hardly burned a drop!.

Maybe the Berrymans deserves the credit ?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I recently did another soak with Berryman B12 Chemtool and refilled with Pennzoil Platinum HM 10w-30. After 3,000 miles, it's hardly burned a drop!.

Maybe the Berrymans deserves the credit ?

Could be! I debated whether to post in the oil forum or the oil additive forum.

I have ran PP and PUP in my Ram Hemi since the FF came out and to this day, I don't use a drop between oil changes. (63,000 kms on the truck and roughly 7,500-10,000 km OCI's. One with over 13,000)
I am currently running PUP 5W-30 in my wife's 17 3.6 Impala and so far so good with that as well.

Not saying other oils/engines out there aren't capable of the same thing, just saying I am pretty happy with Pennzoil oils.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Can you please share the procedure in terms of B12? Thank you
smile.gif

Standard piston soak; take the plugs out, fill the cylinders with B12, let it sit overnight or longer. I manually turn the engine over with a ratchet every few hours as well. Then suck out any remaining fluid and crank the engine with the plugs out to make sure the cylinders are dry before reinstalling plugs and firing it up.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Can you please share the procedure in terms of B12? Thank you
smile.gif

Standard piston soak; take the plugs out, fill the cylinders with B12, let it sit overnight or longer. I manually turn the engine over with a ratchet every few hours as well. Then suck out any remaining fluid and crank the engine with the plugs out to make sure the cylinders are dry before reinstalling plugs and firing it up.

thumbsup2.gif

Congratulations Drew hope you continue to have good luck with the 94 Corrolla as I love to hear about people keeping older cars running and in good condition. I am surprised regarding the Berryman B12 as I know it is great stuff but I have always been told that it was much less aggressive than Seafoam. Anyway goodluck with the Corrolla.

I think I'll try this oil and do some kind of piston soak when I come back. My '07 tc seems to drijnk oil too and I'm aware of the TSB for incorrect piston design issues and clogged oil return holes. I currently use the Valvoline Synpower w/Maxlife 0W-20 but I'm not sure if it's still the old tried and true formula that BITOG praised a few years back.

Along with others I think i'm going to ween myself away from Maxlife as it just doesn't seem to be impressive as it used to be.

I have heard great things about Defy and Pennz High Mileage and even the Castrol HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back