Priming Drywall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put up new drywall in the bathroom and need to prime it. I've got 2 cans of Kilz primer but there both water based. Should I buy the Kilz Oil Based primer or use the Water Based and use an Oil Based Paint?

Kilz says the water based primer is designed for "high humidity, moisture, and temperature environments such as kitchens, bathrooms..."

I've used it and never had a problem.

I like oil primers for wood, but I'd expect new drywall to just suck up whatever you put on, so you may be best off with just some cheaper primer (whatever it is), and apply more coats.

Id think that perhaps whatever you get, thin the first coat a bit so it will lay on there and absorb in better.

I might be wrong but if you use a oil based coating will a water based one have trouble sticking to it?

I personally have never used a special primer on drywall. In the bathroom latex enamel worked well. The eggshell or semi gloss is better for bathrooms. Two coats.

Kilz water based is fine. I would use the oil base over any type of staining.

Get a mildew resistant ceiling paint. I always had a problem until I bought a special one.

What you have will work fine. Top it with a good water-based latex paint and your set. No need for oil based primer or paint in a bathroom.

You can use the Kilz since you have it. But their quality has really dropped over the years compared to others at the same price point.

I like Zinnser or store brands depending on what I am working on.

The Kills oil base is only used/or needed to seal nicotine stained walls, ceilings, or fire/smoke damage.

Use a quality water base paint also. Just say "NO" to Oil Base.

Trust me, you don't want to mess with oil based anything, you would have to wear a respirator!

Last edited:
A latex primer will be fine, just be sure not to top coat it with an oil base paint as it will become a breeding ground for mold and mildew. Get a good paint made specifically for kitchens and baths for the finish coat. Zinsser and Benjamin Moore make them, as do some of the other paint mfgs. They are designed for high humidity areas like kitchen and bathrooms. Some of these paints are even self priming, although I would recommend using a dedicated primer in this situation.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
A latex primer will be fine

What about a Water Based? That's what I have.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

You're fine and latex is water based.

Kilz water-based is fine. Zinsser's 1-2-3, Glidden Gripper or even a PVA primer works as well. I've also used shellac-based Zinsser's BIN on virgin drywall when I painted my parent's bathrooms years ago. Never had a problem with mold yet.

Newer paints like Behr Premium Plus, Glidden Diamond and Ben Moore are "self-priming" but I prefer a separate primer.

Last edited:
I recently used Sheetrock brand “First Coat” primer. Pretty inexpensive and it seemed to work well.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Consider them the same, you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back