K&P stainless steel oil filters.

Just got this in a email from Turner. From their price Im assuming theyre lifetime filters? Just remove and clean them out real good with brake clean or other cleaner?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/Search?SearchTerm=K%26P&ResultPage=0&SortBy=0&ResultCount=50&UsedClearance=1&trk_msg=LLIP9OLV86C49271CLJARO2F58&trk_contact=IMCCFU01HMB2HSQDRHJ61DQU3C&trk_sid=UAGI4ACFPIVVT2S9V7K3BD3JNS&utm_source=emailcampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_term=New+-+K%26amp%3bP+Performance+Stainless+Steel+Oil+Filter&utm_campaign=TMS_New_KP_Stainless_Steel_Oil_Filter_Housing_01282018_25773

At least they aren't going out like the other stainless filter manufacturers, claiming to have better efficiency than paper filters.

Overpriced screen at best.

Even on a good day stainless steel mesh filters can't match standard or synthetic filter media!

So I'll never use them, but they count on the general public to never know the difference! Sad!

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
At least they aren't going out like the other stainless filter manufacturers, claiming to have better efficiency than paper filters.

Overpriced screen at best.

They do say:
"With the ability to filter down as small as a paper filter element with the ability to be washed and reused!"

But I see no actual efficiency numbers stated.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
They do say:
"With the ability to filter down as small as a paper filter element with the ability to be washed and reused!"

Well of course. All filters will filter nearly all particles at some efficiency. Like I used to point out in reference to microGreen's claim of filtering down to 2 microns, my window screen will do the same (as will my socks and underwear).

Originally Posted By: kschachn
They do say:

Well of course. All filters will filter nearly all particles at some efficiency. Like I used to point out in reference to microGreen's claim of filtering down to 2 microns, my window screen will do the same (as will my socks and underwear).

Yeah, I know ... and obviously it's advertising claim hype eaten up by the uninformed. Guess if one 5 micron particle happened to land squarely on a piece of the wire mesh and stay there then it's been 'captured'.

For the supposed "filter"... Instead of this stainless steel mesh they might get as well have done the following.... Just insert chicken wire in place of this "mesh".
smile.gif

If it wasnt 100$ Id order one and take it apart to see whats inside. Maybe in a few months the price will drop since theyll be selling a million of these to kids with 335s. Anyone remember the Vornado?!?!?

I've had a K&P reusable oil filter for years on my 01 Harley Road King. I love it! Bike has 69,000mi on it and going strong. My oil analysis have always come back great. Low wear metals and insolubles are never over 0.2 so knock it all you want but the numbers don't lie...😎

Nor do they mean what you think they mean.
So you're still telling me the oil filter is **** compared to regular spin ons? So the oil analysis I've been doing with this filter showing low wear metals etc are deceiving? Please explain yourself here....

Originally Posted By: kschachn
They do say:

Yeah, I know ... and obviously it's advertising claim hype eaten up by the uninformed. Guess if one 5 micron particle happened to land squarely on a piece of the wire mesh and stay there then it's been 'captured'.
According to their website, the media is designed to filter down to 35 microns:

The medical grade stainless steel cloth that we use is consistent across the entire media surface and is rated at 35 microns, meaning nothing larger than 35 microns should pass through the material.

So, no FRAM Ultra, Donaldson ELF, Fleetguard Stratapore or AMSOIL EaO.

They do say:

You pointed out wrongly. The Microgreen filtered down to 2 microns meant everything 2 or larger in cross section during impact was filtered by the disk. Not that there was a random 2 micron catch now and then. You want that, but it is not that.
As far as surface capturing it has always been a cellular plant fiber can grab the tiniest of particles, where with a smooth glass or plastic synthetic fiber, the particles likely shed off. And yes a window screen can catch 2 micron particles here and there, and so?

According to their website, the media is designed to filter down to 35 microns:

So, no FRAM Ultra, Donaldson ELF, Fleetguard Stratapore or AMSOIL EaO.
Agree but it has a magnet also that always has fuzz on it. I would reason to guess my 35 micron **** filter is doing its job just fine though...😎 Furthermore, how often do you see a heavily modified Harley driven hard make it to 69,000 miles?🤷‍♂️😂

Some filter makers, for advertising purposes, will say "Filters down to x microns" even it the filter catches only a super low percentage of particles at x microns.

No different for Microgreen saying their filter "Filters down to 2 microns". If it filtered 0.1% of particles at 2u then they might make that claim to attract sales.

Agree but it has a magnet also that always has fuzz on it. I would reason to guess my 35 micron **** filter is doing its job just fine though...😎 Furthermore, often do you see a modified Harley driven hard make it to 69,000 miles?🤷‍♂️😂
35 micron absolute (100% at 35 microns) which is what I believe they are saying, isn't bad, and would be similar in overall efficiency to many OE-style paper filters, so I would tend to agree that it isn't awful. Are there more efficient filters on the market? Absolutely, I listed them in the post you replied to, but most folks aren't running those.

I'd be interested to see the filtration curve for these if they were done via the standard method @Ascent Filtration Testing performed on several other offerings here. That was a great series of data points for the board.

Back