Brand New Jeep Cherokee Catches on Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not. According to a manager at a Jeep Dealership in Colorado near where I used to work, he took a new Jeep home last year. A few minutes after leaving the dealership caught fire as well.

We have 42k miles on our 2016 Trailhawk 3.2L. It hasn't put a foot wrong. I would buy the same vehicle again tomorrow if I had to do it over again. That's how much we like this Jeep.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
It's not. According to a manager at a Jeep Dealership in Colorado near where I used to work, he took a new Jeep home last year. A few minutes after leaving the dealership caught fire as well.

From the news story, the soldier said his electronics were acting funny. Hopefully Fiat will find the cause and issue a TSB or recall.

He bought the Jeep on Jan 6. Hate to see that happen with any vehicle.

The reliability index by Consumer Reports has Jeeps at bottom of the barrel. Why would anyone buy one? I liked my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was very reliable after I replaced the engine at 96k.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The reliability index by Consumer Reports has Jeeps at bottom of the barrel. Why would anyone buy one? I liked my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was very reliable after I replaced the engine at 96k.

Why did engine need replacement ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Donald

Why did engine need replacement ?

If it was a very famous straight 6 (4.0), it could've cracked a head or a piston skirt

If the engine ends in .7 (3.7/4.7/5.7), it could've been a valve seat dropped

Our 2011 GC is at 87k miles with only wear items being replaced. People like to trash a brand based off the experience of a few. Not to say there won’t be issues but with proper maintenance it’s been a great vehicle. I guess everyone has a different experience. We’re looking at a 2016 GC overland and wouldn’t hesitate to buy it short of not wanting another payment.

Originally Posted By: E365
“U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 152,300 automobile fires per year.”

152,000+ car fires per year in the US. Pretty safe to assume every model from every make has caught on fire at some point.

https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Property-type-and-vehicles/Vehicles

Yup, this will probably be happening more frequently across the board. More electrical stuff + cheap thin wire = toasty fire.

Spontaneous combustion is an event of every single make and model ever made. No exceptions.

If you build enough examples of any machine, the laws of probability will allow for pretty much anything to happen.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Spontaneous combustion is an event of every single make and model ever made. No exceptions.

If you build enough examples of any machine, the laws of probability will allow for pretty much anything to happen.

The show that replaced Top Gear, can't remember what it was off the top of my head right now, but anyways, I was recently watching an episode that featured a Lambo, the new Honda NSX and some Croatian 1200HP electric vehicle. At the end of the episode Hammond manages to crash the electric car, which immediately roars into a ball of flames, but that's not the scary part....

The car continued to catch fire, spontaneously.... FOR FIVE DAYS!!!!
crazy2.gif

The massive Lithium Ion battery pack, when one cell would go off and catch fire, would then damage nearby cells. Once the first cell/cells were extinguished, the damaged neighbouring cells would eventually go into thermal runaway and catch fire, starting the process all over again!

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
You couldn’t give me an FCA product.

Well, nobody else puts 707HP in a relatively reliable 4x4 either. Our Durango and JGC have been pretty reliable, but they are both shared platforms (the same platform) with Mercedes, somewhat similar to the Charger/300/Challenger/Magnum situation.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Well, nobody else puts 707HP in a relatively reliable 4x4 either. Our Durango and JGC have been pretty reliable, but they are both shared platforms (the same platform) with Mercedes, somewhat similar to the Charger/300/Challenger/Magnum situation.

I guess I’m just a practical kind of guy. I don’t need 707HP. Now when I was 18, I would have said otherwise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

This

Apparently, Fusions go POOF in an instant also! https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car...isk/1001090001/
3c4a7c80-e17c-11e6-9962-5052a95ccdf3r.jpg

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fusion/2013/electrical/car_caught_on_fire_while_driving.shtml
"I bought a ford because I thought I would be getting a reliable vehicle to get me through my college years and beyond. I have had no complaints about the vehicle until it started on fire the week after Christmas......I am currently fighting with ford, I am about a month into it and still car less and becoming more and more frustrated with the whole thing. If anyone can offer any advice or has dealt with a similar issue with their ford please comment."

The skeletons in the closet are revealing.

An owner of a 2010 Toyota Camry tossing stones from his glass Camry? Can we assume you haven't been killed by a runaway acceleration??

The hypocrisy is making my side hurt
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back