Generators for Travel Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have one of those basic Champion generators for charging my two batteries on my travel trailer. At the provincial camp grounds here, we are allowed to run generators for two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening, (without any flac from neighbors). My Champion is 1200 W starting, 1000 W running. It's absolutely fine for charging the two batteries, can power a toaster, and a microwave. What I don't like is it's kind of bulky, being a poor boy engine bolted to an industrial looking electrical generator. I'd like to get one of those sleek Honda or Yamaha generators but I prefer a knock-off rather than spending a thousand bucks.

Any one got any experience with a decently priced knock-off. Also feel free to share your experience with generators in general. Thanks.

SF

What rate are you charging your batteries at? If 30 AMPS each, that's 420 watts each, close to maxxing out your existing generator.

The quiet ones are doing less work.

I plug my travel trailer into the generator and let the stock travel trailer charger do the charging on the batteries. A little inefficient but I don't have to mess around with pulling the cases. Generally my batteries are less than 1/2 way depleted from using the blower on the propane furnace if its a cold night. All my lights are LED which helps a lot. My batteries usually top up in less than an hour. I don't know the charge rate in amps on the travel trailer charger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Why would you even deal with a maybe get a Honda!

+1. Those Honda's are the gold standard. There are more and more imposters which may or may not be good...

Get a kill-a-watt meter for your current generator and see what your battery charger pulls. The inverter generators shine in

1) low load, low noise
2) low load, low gas use
3) somewhat better/ cleaner power (not an issue with resistive toasters or dumb battery chargers)

If you're near the max output of your current generator you're not getting as much benefit with an inverter. Also when you look up noise ratings make sure it's at the same % power output.

I'd get a Japanese name just to have a higher assurance parts will be available. Good sales on Black Friday if you can wait. Yamaha makes them as well as Honda.

I bought a used inverter Honda, it was still $450, but I was happy to pay it. There weren't as much other inverter models on the market at the time.

Is this just for weekend camping use? If so, I don't think I'd hesitate to buy one of the off brand inverter models, or look for a used Honda that isn't completely beat up ands still overpriced (not always hard to find!).

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I bought a used inverter Honda, it was still $450, but I was happy to pay it. There weren't as much other inverter models on the market at the time.

Is this just for weekend camping use? If so, I don't think I'd hesitate to buy one of the off brand inverter models, or look for a used Honda that isn't completely beat up ands still overpriced (not always hard to find!).

I usually do about five camping trips per year of two or three nights duration. The sites are typically devoid of A/C power.

The general rule of thumb is if they are cheap they are noisy.

Get a Honda.

Last edited:
The Predator are supposed to be pretty close in terms of noise and vibration, but I cant comment on their longevity. Go with the predator and get the extended warranty, and still save a bunch. Or keep your eyes open for an open box/returned/scratch and dent one.

I only have experience with Honda's and Onan's. Home Depot does have Ryobi's which is some what of a Honda inverter clone, but it is most likely made in China...

I currently own an eu2000i and an eu3000i.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
You could get the Harbor Freight knock off Honda quiet generator. or maybe try a pawn shop for a HondaYamaKawi.

The HF inverter would get my vote. Or anything but a Honda.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
You could get the Harbor Freight knock off Honda quiet generator. or maybe try a pawn shop for a HondaYamaKawi.

The HF inverter would get my vote. Or anything but a Honda.

OK since the Hondas are by far the most popular in campgrounds....I'll bite and ask what's your problem with Honda?

I have not had good luck with Wen, Ryobi, Rigid, or Generac generators.

Champion makes a very good 2000 watt inverter generator.

Originally Posted By: CKN
OK since the Hondas are by far the most popular in campgrounds....I'll bite and ask what's your problem with Honda?

Just not a fan of anything Honda. I feel they are way overrated as a brand.

I like the Honda, but they sell at a premium new and used. I would look at the Yamaha and Generac: I think the Generac can be had for about $600, and do not get a rebuilt / reconditioned unit as the chance of headaches is high.

I do not like the HF knockoffs - in this case you get what you pay for- load, short lived, finicky. Also be careful you do not accidentally get a 2 stroke meant for outside North America. \\The Generac GP2200i can be had for $599 on ebay at the moment (new, free delivery).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back