$150.00 Oil Change at Toyota Stealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
An older friend I have has a 2014 Toyota Tacoma. I complimented him on his Toyota and he started bragging how he uses the best synthetic oil/synthetic oil filter. So, I asked him what kind? He explained that he always takes his Tacoma to the Toyota Dealer and they put the best in it for $150.00. He didn't know name brands. I asked him to repeat it and he confirmed $150.00.

I told him that he was being ripped off, but it didn't bother him. Ouch....that's why I call it the Stealer. This friend has a lot of life experience and is very street smart.

But, different strokes for different folks. I understand BMW takes double the capacity compared to Japanese, but not a Tacoma......I was thinking to myself I could buy a very good synthetic oil at Hellmart and an Ultra for $34.00. Cheaper if on sale, etc....

It bothers me when these Corporations take advantage of people. The dealer is in Albuquerque.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Pajero
This friend has a lot of life experience and is very street smart.

Sure doesn't seem like it.

Last edited:
Our local GM Stealer just put in a fast lane for lube changes. There are three other lube places just down the road. I do my own but will check the price they charge. I'll bet its even worse. Here is how they justify the higher price:

"Inspect all fluid levels and condition. Check belts and hoses. Lube door and hood hinges, lube steering, suspension and driveline. Includes up to 5 quarts of motor oil and new ACDelco oil filter. Diesels and synthetic oil may be slightly higher."

SF

Last edited:
He explained that he always takes his Tacoma to the Toyota Dealer and they put the best in it for $150.00. He didn't know name brands. I asked him to repeat it and he confirmed $150.00.

If it's Larry Miller Toyota then they have a Pre-Paid Maintenance package for three oil changes at around $150. Maybe that's where the confusion is.

https://www.toyotaabq.com/specials/service.htm

Your friend is not smart. The local dealer around here advertise average $40-$60 for oil change (probably conventional oil). There is a Larry Miller Toyota 4 miles from my house

Last edited:
People like him subsidize the rest of us. You gave your opinion once, let it ride.
19.gif

Some people just don't like dirty work including oil changes. No different than people paying for someone to mow their lawn I guess.

Local Toyota Dealer $59.95 for conventional and $79.95 for Synthetic. I do that change for under $30 and have a quart of oil left over for top off oil which I will use less than a cup of in a 5K OCI.

I’ll do you one better.

Two gallons of Rotella T6 and a Mahle filter cost me $48 - $60 depending on sales and rebates.

The Jeep dealer wants $250; they charge Jeep’s MRSP of $75 for just the (cellulose, made in China) oil filter.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would not pay it of course. But he can afford it, and he is happy, so i'd just let it go.

This. I never "think with other people's wallets"

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I do my own but my Toyota dealer charges $90 for a 0w20 synthetic oil change plus tire rotation.

^ The Lexus dealer charged the same last week for my wifes ES350 with a tire rotation and a car wash. Hers was free and she has 3 more freebies coming under the Lexus certified program.
smile.gif

Last edited:
There must be some misunderstanding. Dealerships are high but no way he paid $150 just for one oil change at a Toyota dealer. At a Euro dealer, sure. My guess is there were other services involved.

Last edited:

It bothers me when these Corporations take advantage of people. The dealer is in Albuquerque.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

The corporation is not taking advantage of him. He is not a victim he willingly and happily pays the $150.00 He has the right to use another dealer or bargain with the current one if he felt he was getting ripped off.

That price is high, but if he is willingly paying it then he agrees to the terms.

Last edited:
I agree. That sounds high for 1 oil change. The service department where I bought my F550 motorhome charges $365 for an oil change...which to me is outrageous.

The DCJRam dealer in Madison, AL will do 4 oil and filter changes for $70
You just need to present their card to them for the deal and be prepared to say No to other things they want to upsell or do for you

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I do my own but my Toyota dealer charges $90 for a 0w20 synthetic oil change plus tire rotation.

Incredible. Our Honda dealer charges $49.99 for 5w-20 and $59.99 for 0w-20 everyday. I think they throw in a tire rotation.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
There must be some misunderstanding. Dealerships are high but no way he paid $150 just for one oil change at a Toyota dealer. At a Euro dealer, sure. My guess is there were other services involved.

My thinking as well. Has to be at least a few oil changes going on there....

Originally Posted By: Starman2112

The Mercedes dealer is $300 for their Service A which is basically an oil change and they check a bunch of stuff and maybe new wipers and battery for the key fob. They have discounts on service once in a while too, maybe $50 off or 10% off. They do an exterior wash and vacuum the interior and I think you can also get a loaner or just hang out and get free snacks and a sandwich. Mine takes 8.5 quarts of synthetic and it's 10k oil change intervals. Never bothered going there for service A though. I think you can just get an oil change and it's $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back