OK, back to the old'ish days - 283 PCV

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a little 283 project in the shop. Was topped with 601 heads at nigh on to 10:1, but that's too steep for local pump gas, and not conducive to maybe going into a CJ ...

So I have some bigger chamber vortec heads that will drop the CR nicely and create swirl
smile.gif

But I also have some nice old school "Chevrolet" stamped steel valve covers w/o fill holes. etc.

I want to pull the freeze plug from the old block port for the road draft tube and insert a piece so I can fit the PCV there. I can put a fill tube into the intake with a cap. Make it look 1960's period correct.

So does anyone know of a road draft plug kit with a PCV port for an early SBC?

Last edited:
Drill a hole in the plug that's blocking the road draft tube so that you can push in a grommet with a pcv in it.put a vented oil fill cap on the tube that's sticking out of the front on the intake.

I am not familiar with later heads. Don't lower the compression too much. They like 10:1.

Ah yes, thanks for the ideas. Cool, if a bit too much bling ...

Chris142 I'd rather not be drilling into a fresh motor if I can help it. Rather just pop the plug and install something else ...

Blkstanger, that looks about right. Looks like an F-150 SBF PCV into a grommet. Just need to figure out which one ...

If you have more, put them up. I'm sure I'll find one that strikes my fancy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Ah yes, thanks for the ideas. Cool, if a bit too much bling ...

Chris142 I'd rather not be drilling into a fresh motor if I can help it. Rather just pop the plug and install something else ...
that's what I meant!

In that displacement range, I never liked the 283 for lack of torque.

I have always been able to build a stout 305 that outperformed it at nearly any point in the rpm range (except over 5000).

ah man...601 heads. good stuff, closed small chambers, decent ports. arguably the best flowing 305 heads. watch out there is 601 heads for 267 that has baby valves. Good head for a 267 but useless on anything with a bore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back