Honda gx 390 exhaust manifold glows red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this bad or normal? Just wondering if it means I'm overloading it. This happened on a generator I was breaking in. I ran it at alternating loads and noticed when I had it at 90 percent load for about 10 minutes the exhaust got red hot, so I unplugged a couple things and it went back to normal.

If this is a newer unit, tell your dealer. That's what the warranty is there for

If this is an older unit, make sure your intake isn't leaking anywhere.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
make sure your intake isn't leaking anywhere.

Agreed - I'd suggest going over the entire intake tract from the carb to the head and make sure everything is tight and sealing properly.

Possible that it is runnning too lean for some reason. If/when you get it glowing red hot again, start incrementally closing the choke to richen the mix slightly and see if it glows less. Lean mixtures burn too hot.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Are there mixture adjustment screws on these carbs?

Mine have two of those engines on power washers, but they're older units. They run long and hard when in use and I never saw anything glow cherry red. As mentioned the carb is probably set too lean.

If it has a cat it may be normal. Any flames or backfiring? I would contact the dealer before messing with the carb if it is equipped with a cat otherwise fatten it up slightly if it even has adjustments to do it. It may also have an algore carb, in that case call the dealer.

I'm not talking about glowing bright red to the point where there are sparks coming out, but just red enough to notice in the dark.

Originally Posted By: Piston_slap
Red exhaust manifold? This has got to be my favorite video of a diesel genny with a glowing exhaust provided by gasoline! Only 3 minutes long, enjoy. It's a riot! Diesel in distress!

That was hilarious. What a stooge to just stand there and watch it self destruct.

Read some of the comments below the video. Very entertaining & funny too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back