Just picked up a new Ford last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad it doesn't have the EcoBoost 3.5L V6(or a Shimano/Bosch eBike platform more realistically). It's sure a heck of a lot more fun than driving my Prius or taking an Uber to see a friend's boyfriend play a gig at the local watering hole last night.

All you need now is a matching blue helmet.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Looks good with those low profile tires, what are those 5 series?

Probably straight 40mm width, I know they are a Schwalbe "urban" tire not in a tubeless config. Tubeless rims and tires are more for mountain bikes.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
They had a similar program in Seattle. It went belly up because of too many thefts of the bikes.

I've heard the Seattle mandatory helmet law also discouraged riders as well. I was in Seattle for the night two years ago after I took a trip into Vancouver for a half-marathon. I took a Pronto to explore a little bit of downtown.

It seems in San Francisco, they don't leave many of these out at night...they'll either be destroyed by the anti-tech worker anarchists, stolen, or otherwise made unusable. I saw three Ford bikes in a 20 plus capacity rack at 2AM recently and I was surprised no one had gotten creative in damaging them...maybe I was early. The only thing that would make them a bigger target would be to have an Uber or Lyft logo on them.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: PimTac
They had a similar program in Seattle. It went belly up because of too many thefts of the bikes.

I've heard the Seattle mandatory helmet law also discouraged riders as well. I was in Seattle for the night two years ago after I took a trip into Vancouver for a half-marathon. I took a Pronto to explore a little bit of downtown.

At night? You’re are brave person indeed.

How fast do these go? I test drove a Trek with that Bosch motor and got it up to 30 mph in a parking lot. That was fast enough for me.

We have a similar bike share program in Toronto. I use the bike to get from the office to union station. Costs $100 a year and gives you unlimited use of the bike for up to 30 mins at a time. If you need it for longer, You can dock it for 2 mins and then use it for another 30 mins.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How fast do these go? I test drove a Trek with that Bosch motor and got it up to 30 mph in a parking lot. That was fast enough for me.

This isn't a eBike - Motivate who runs the Ford GoBike program in SF/Oakland/San Jose is rolling out Mahindra's GenZe eBikes. Dunno who supplies the eBike system on those, a scooter sharing app called Scoot already has a armada of GenZe scooters on the streets of San Francisco.

I test rode a Bosch-equipped Raleigh once and I got it to 32mph in a closed indoor lot. A friend built up a Yuba Mundo with the Shimano STEPS system which can also control a Di2 Nexus hub or XTR derailleur for a client and I got to ride it. I hit 40mph on it - I don't go that fast on a bike unless I'm kitted out and going downhill!
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
It seems in San Francisco, they don't leave many of these out at night...they'll either be destroyed by the anti-tech worker anarchists, stolen, or otherwise made unusable. I saw three Ford bikes in a 20 plus capacity rack at 2AM recently and I was surprised no one had gotten creative in damaging them...maybe I was early. The only thing that would make them a bigger target would be to have an Uber or Lyft logo on them.

I know quite a few of them, and I've seen them get parted out in the homeless camps.

There was one corral of them that got paint splashed on them in the Mission. But one tech worker told SF Weekly, the ones who can afford it will ride Uber or Lyft as it does add up QUICK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back