Motorcraft Synblend 5w30 in Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although Ford recommends their own brand of oil, with a religious 3- 4k oci schedule, what type of results long term can I expect in my 2.0l Ecoboost engine? Thanks

The Motorcraft oil will be fine. For that matter any quality 5W30 blend or synthetic will do. Personally, I do 5,000 mile oil changes in mine. I intend to begin running Valvoline Synpower 5W30 exclusively. I will not recommend an oil filter. I will tell you that FoMoCo ships these cars with a filter that has a base end bypass valve.

You car comes with Ford’s Intelligent Oil Life Monitor. You can do your oil changes by it or you can do them at whatever mileage your are comfortable with. There’s been talk that it’s designed for 10,000 miles. I don’t feel comfortable in going by it. I just change the oil and reset every 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: MParr
You car comes with Ford’s Intelligent Oil Life Monitor. You can do your oil changes by it or you can do them at whatever mileage your are comfortable with. There’s been talk that it’s designed for 10,000 miles. I don’t feel comfortable in going by it. I just change the oil and reset every 5,000 miles.
Or 1 year and less if towing or operated severe in conditions. Owners manual.

Last week I sent to Blackstone a sample of Motorcraft 5W-30 I ran from later August till early December in our 2.3 EB. I fell short of the 5,000 miles OC I wanted, it was 4,275 miles, this was due to wanting to change it myself and the very cold weather was imminent within a day or two. I have to change the oil outdoors. I'll post the UOA as soon as I get it.

Whimsey

Bought my Buick Encore with 50K on the odometer from a Ford dealer with this oil. Oil stayed clean looking for the first change, which I pulled at about 4K since it wasn't Dexos and they hadn't reset the OLM. Much cleaner than following changes with Maxlife-- don't know whether that's a good or bad thing.

When Firestone was using Kendall it was my go to cheapo oil change on a '13 Rio. Liked the oil a lot and might still be going there if they hadn't changed to QS. I generally think all Conoco-Phillips semi syns are great values.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
It has a turbo. Go for 5k OCI at the extreme most.

Why?

Originally Posted By: MParr
I will not recommend an oil filter. I will tell you that FoMoCo ships these cars with a filter that has a base end bypass valve.
Would not so good after market filters be just as good if not better than the Motorcraft oil filter? I think most have a bypass valve, not makes a base bypass valve better? I bet a lot of aftermarket would have that too.

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
Although Ford recommends their own brand of oil, with a religious 3- 4k oci schedule, what type of results long term can I expect in my 2.0l Ecoboost engine? Thanks

Why would you stick to a 3-4k OCI? Even under sever service a 5k OCI is plenty sufficient and there is plenty of evidence to suggest under normal service 7.5k or greater is fine. I've yet to see a UOA on these engines that suggest you need to keep your OCI's short. Nor have I seen any BITOG user back up their claims that you can't go past 5k on an OCI. Yes they have some fuel dilution but the wear metal numbers never show that it is an issue.

I used Motorcraft syn blend 5w-20 on my 7th gen Honda Accord V6 and it ran like the Charles Dickens. Nowadays, I use the dealer's Honda full synthetic 0w-20 and guess what, CP makes that too, what a deal. Remember when MC jugs were 12.98 and prices like that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy

Why would you stick to a 3-4k OCI? Even under sever service a 5k OCI is plenty sufficient and there is plenty of evidence to suggest under normal service 7.5k or greater is fine. I've yet to see a UOA on these engines that suggest you need to keep your OCI's short. Nor have I seen any BITOG user back up their claims that you can't go past 5k on an OCI. Yes they have some fuel dilution but the wear metal numbers never show that it is an issue.

Excellent summary and 100% accurate.

I think the Ford oil is good stuff. Its all I use in Fords/Lincolns. Thier Filter also. Advanced and Auto Zone normally have Ford Motorcraft Oil and Motorcraft filter on sale for $24 for both. Can't beat that price and Great Oil and Filter to me. Nothing is any better for a Ford product to me.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Last week I sent to Blackstone a sample of Motorcraft 5W-30 I ran from later August till early December in our 2.3 EB. I fell short of the 5,000 miles OC I wanted, it was 4,275 miles, this was due to wanting to change it myself and the very cold weather was imminent within a day or two. I have to change the oil outdoors. I'll post the UOA as soon as I get it.

Whimsey

What was the Filter used? Was 5w-30 Sys Blend? Which 5w-30?

Originally Posted By: jgscott
Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Whimsey

What was the Filter used? Was 5w-30 Sys Blend? Which 5w-30?

It was the FL910S, The UOA is now posted in the UOA section. The oil was Motorcraft 5W-30, a synblend.

Whimsey

This is an example of ONE. Take it for what it is. I have a friend that drives a 2016 2.7EB F150 to deliver parts around (mostly the Southeast) for Motion Industries. Pat bought the truck new in March of 2016 and it currently has just over 150,000 miles on it. Pat has had the oil changed according to the oil life monitor...which means it's had 15 oil changes using Motorcraft 5w30 semi synthetic and a Motorcraft filter. No issues of any kind. I use the same stuff in my 2016 2.7 but keep the OCI at 7500.
It's good oil.

My fiance's son drives a 2014 F150 with the 5.0 that he bought new in June of 14. It has around 130,000 miles on it now and he has always used Motorcraft 5W-20 and a Motorcraft filter and has gone by the OLM to change it which is close to 10,000 miles. His truck still runs fine with no problems.

I use it in my Mustang and my fiance' uses it in her Mustang with no issues. I think it is a good oil and will continue to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back