Trailer lug nuts not threading on by hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They weren't crossed threaded, at first I thought it was cause the studs were painted. Is it just a case of poor Chinese machining? I've always been able to thread lug nuts down by hand easily. I had to use the lever of the socket in my hand to get them to spin on.

They still torqued down good and everything, so it's whatever. I'm just curious how common this is.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I'm just curious how common this is.

It is NOT common.

Something is machined wrong, either studs or nuts.
Find out which it is and have them replaced.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
They were over torqued at one time.

Yup this. The metal deformed at some point so now the thread pitch is not what it should be.

are you using new lugnuts or the ones that were on it (used)

maybe just try a new nut, try threading it on the studs by hand, and if doesn't thread on then the studs are stretched.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
They were over torqued at one time.

There ya go! Some meat stick with a bigass air gun hammered em one once upon a time and stretched the threads. I start all mine by fingers then snug em with setting 1 on my Aircat. Then finish that last half turn or so by hand. No more deformed threads. Just grab new ones anywhrere They pound on from the back usually.

They weren't crossed threaded, at first I thought it was cause the studs were painted. Is it just a case of poor Chinese machining? I've always been able to thread lug nuts down by hand easily. I had to use the lever of the socket in my hand to get them to spin on.

I assume this was your first time doing this with these lug nuts? If so, it doesn't surprise me. When I purchased snowy's for my wife's 2017 Impala last November, I found the same thing when I installed the new lug nuts that came with them as a package.
Some would spin on OK but most caused me some greive of some sort.

I wrote it off as likely being cheap, mass produced, low on quality control, Chinese junk. They were also smaller (OD) than the stockers but they did go on nonetheless.
I originally torqued them to 110 foot Lbs then rechecked after about 50-100 kms and noticed some had backed off slightly, to which I retorqued them to 115 foot Lbs.
I just checked them again last week-end and all were still good. My fear is, once spring comes and I go to remove them, the chrome on them will spin/break on me and of course I'll be in a pickle like I have experienced before.

We'll see how that goes and that will determine if I use them again next winter?

Edit: Meant to add, the studs on this car were in great shape, as they should be with only 20,000 kms on the car. No visible rust/corrosion on them that I seen.

Last edited:
Would a die move the threads back into their proper pitch ? MOM I feel your pain, It took me a weekend to remove a wheel whose studs had been over torqued. 3 studs were spinning on the the hub.

Yep. Trailer is only 6 months old. First time off.

can you get a close up picture of what the studs look like?

any kind of dirt build up or anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back