Volvo XC90 dilemma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently looking at family SUVs under $8k. Safety, efficiency, and reliability is what I am looking for. XC90 came on my radar, a couple of them, and I need help choosing.

Option #1:
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD. Has 156k miles on it. Below $6k. 3rd row and most bells and whistles are there. Seems like a heck of a deal for a reliable SUV with V8 from Yamaha and robust transmission from Aisin.

But... there is option 2:
2006 Volvo XC90 AWD 2.5T. Same vehicle, similar price, different drivetrain/powertrain, and has 98k miles. This 5 cylinder has been around since 1990s and is proven to last. If I get it - PCV system and timing belt are getting changed right away.

I am now torn between these two. I want the power of a V8, but the 5-banger has less miles and is just as reliable, AFAIK. Help me choose if you had close experience with either or both. What other issues are common with these cars? Thank you in advance.

Oil trap is common on the turbo cars, and some of the earlier ones had issues with the cam gear failing and dumping oil all over the timing belt. That was more common on the s40s though. Weve been doing the front struts on the v8 more often than the turbos as well, Im assuming because of the extra weight. Id probably go with the lower miles, at 156k you could be due for alot of bigger stuff, struts like I mentioned, possible trans issues developing etc. Lower miles, lower fuel economy, lower maintenace most likely, lower price.

If you are wrenching the one you prefer.

If you are paying anyone to repair they are average reliability with expensive bits and parts.

5 wins on underhood access
5 wins with lower miles
5 wins with better handling (nimbler)
8 wins w/o turbo
8 wins w regular gas
8 wins w lower highway revs

Apparent maintenance just got larger
You have years to go with the 5's exhaust. What about the 8's?
Can you bring a reader and check for pending codes?
Can you test drive them?

Where are these cars? I assume they're private sale vehicles.

Good luck with your decision.

i truly believe if you are going to buy a high mileage vehicle its best to stick with Honda or Toyota.
Volvo no way.
And before the comments start both my vehicles were bought with reasonable mileage.

Last edited:
We had a t5 volvo S60 in the other day with 315k on it, these definitely hold up, the major issue is that some repairs will out value the cars, which sends them right to the junkyard.

I owned an XC-90 T6, different tranny and motor combo altogether. Very solid driving vehicle and great family hauler for us. I would go with the T5 b/c of the ability to up the turbo boost if you choose. You will need to become good friends with IPD USA. https://www.ipdusa.com/ They have lots of parts and upgrades for this vehicle. Their sway bar upgrades are legendary for Volvos and worth every penny. Regardless I'd have an independent Volvo mechanic look at which ever one you decide before purchase.

Research the IMS shaft bearing failure in the V8. I forget when they got fixed or updated.

The V8 is a pain to work on. It just is. The T5 is much easier, but a little gutless. I would still prefer the V8 with it's quirks. They are butter smooth.

Go online at a genuine Volvo website and price some of the parts for these cars.You will be penniless shortly when they start acting up.You might as well restore an old car for the same money and have some value leftover,as opposed to giving away a money trap Volvo when you throw your hands up.

Considering Volvo does not build a NA engine anymore, I'd choose the V8.

I think the V8 equipped S80 and XC90 may actually increase and become collectible as they years go by.
They were reliable (Yamaha built) and were super stealthy.

98k is much better then 156k as long as you KNOW the maintenance history. I'd never buy a car with that many miles without records to show reg maintenance.

I would chose the lower miles. Miles take a toll on the suspension and the PCV System - both of which are weak points.

The I5 turbo is a durable, reliable motor. Just keep up with timing belt changes (every 120,000 for that year, and PCV maintenance. You’ll probably need to do the PCV system anyway. Not hard.

I don’t have any personal experience with the V8. Looks nice on paper.

What’s the condition between the two? If one is beat up, choose the cleaner. If they’re the same in condition, lower miles.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I would chose the lower miles. Miles take a toll on the suspension and the PCV System - both of which are weak points.

The I5 turbo is a durable, reliable motor. Just keep up with timing belt changes (every 120,000 for that year, and PCV maintenance. You’ll probably need to do the PCV system anyway. Not hard.

I don’t have any personal experience with the V8. Looks nice on paper.

What’s the condition between the two? If one is beat up, choose the cleaner. If they’re the same in condition, lower miles.

I choose the nicest examples in my price point, they both are very clean. Leaning towards the I5 now... There are many cheaper ones - either super beat up with low miles, or look nice, but have 200k-300k miles.

My son has my old 06 XC90 2.5t. Likely the best vehicle I've ever owned. Had it 4 years and no major repairs...wheel bearing was as bad as it got. The timing belt thing is critical.Roomy, safe, reliable and great to drive. 170,000 everything works on it. The Volvo turbo 2.5 is solid. Stay with full synthetic. ..Supertech 5-30 and Toyota Type IV trans fluid when you drain and fill every 80,000 or so. Great sound system but Volvo proprietary and you'll need an aftermarket bluetooth device. AC and climate control is excellent. Seats are super comfortable and no one is cramped. Tons of room and you won't find a safer vehicle.
The 2.5t can move plenty quick Volvo got the turbo thing right and that engine is a perfect fit for the XC 90 platform. It gets out of its own way just fine. The trans is an Aisan -Warner and rock solid. Ours shifts like a Swiss watch. You font need th the 8cyl.

Last edited:
Wasn't the Volvo V8 basically a improved and bigger version of the Ford Taurus SHO V8 that didn't suffer the cam issues? And didn't Volvo use a GM tranny in some of the XC90s? If I remember, the 4.4L XC90 is surprisingly quick. I've sat in a newer one recently.

Volvo's in-line engines are pretty durable, and most models use Aisin trannies - somewhat related to their Toyota cousins. XC90s weren't as popular as the BMW X5/Mercedes ML(GLE)/Lexus RX or even the Sienna XLE Limited for the well-to-do soccer mom in the Bay Area but they are just as luxurious and solid as their German counterparts.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Wasn't the Volvo V8 basically a improved and bigger version of the Ford Taurus SHO V8 that didn't suffer the cam issues? And didn't Volvo use a GM tranny in some of the XC90s? If I remember, the 4.4L XC90 is surprisingly quick. I've sat in a newer one recently.

Volvo's in-line engines are pretty durable, and most models use Aisin trannies - somewhat related to their Toyota cousins. XC90s weren't as popular as the BMW X5/Mercedes ML(GLE)/Lexus RX or even the Sienna XLE Limited for the well-to-do soccer mom in the Bay Area but they are just as luxurious and solid as their German counterparts.

Not sure about the V8. A definite on the GM trans. and it's a model version to run away from screaming....check Volvo XC90 forums. BMW SUVS IMO, are for those that want a new car every 2-3 years and money is not part of the equation and service is included in the lease. I would never buy one.

I'd go with lower miles. I'd also check all service records and fluids, especially in the AWD system. Search the databases on MVS for known issues.

100% synthetic motor oil is highly recommended in turbo + VVT models. It will also greatly minimize any problems with the PCV system clogging.

I shop on-line for parts and do all of my own work. Just passed 225,000 mi on original motor, turbocharger & transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back