Putting my Freebie Where my Mouth is

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe oil has a shelf life. Another domestic downsizing and I came across this stuff, which I found 4L of in a chucked out cupboard a few years ago.

SG "equivalent" 20W50, 1985 by the code, so a contemporary of the car.

Don't know when exactly, but I think thats my next oil fill, unless I find a reason not too.

(Apologies for the image rotation, which happened on upload and is a new "feature".)

Windows just keeps getting better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jakewells
a fine oil for a humid climate such as taiwan.

What's the relevence of humidity here?

If its sarcasm (hard to tell on the Nyet), I don't think oil is hygroscopic. If I was going to use 33 year-old brake fluid you might have a point.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
You can always mix 50/50 with new oil if it makes you feel better.

Not sure why I'd do that. I suppose if I anticipated a problem I might mix with an HDEO so the detergent /higher BN/better additives could mitigate it.

Dont know any specs for this oil, but I think I've been told it was one of Mobils cheaper products.

Last edited:
That oil is much newer than you think. Mobil just made and marketed an older API oil most likely at a cheaper cost for a specific buyer.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
That oil is much newer than you think. Mobil just made and marketed an older API oil most likely at a cheaper cost for a specific buyer.

Really?

I was going by the date codes which appeared to have 1985 in them, though I might have been mis-interpreting it.

Can't look again because my eyesights no longer good enough and I've mislaid my magnifying glass. Maybe the camera....

Originally Posted By: Kira
A friend had a 1985 Subaru Gl with the 1700cc engine.
It took 20W-50.

I think pretty much anything will take 20W50.

IIRC this car specs 10W30 or straight 30, but I've never put those in it and don't much want to. Never seen them here anyway.

Its currently got about 1:1 SAE 40 and Delvac MX 15W40 in it. Been in a few years.

Here's a couple of date codes. You are probably right and the 1985 string is a coincidence. Wishful thinking. Come to think on't, I'm not sure there was anything on this campus site in 1985, though I suppose I could find out.

Last edited:
That's a bottle shape of sometime post-2000.
That oil doesn't date to 1985.
Old spec oil seems fairly common in some parts of Asia.
It is probably listed as API SG equivalent since by the time this oil was made the SG spec was obsolete and no longer licensed by API.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

It is probably listed as API SG equivalent since by the time this oil was made the SG spec was obsolete and no longer licensed by API.

My shorthand. Original was something more like "Recommended for applications where SG is specified" though that may not be an exact quote.

I THINK Mobil do that with current spec oils too. My Delvac MX, bought a year or two ago, is SJ but doesn't appear to have the API certification mark.

Last edited:
The UPC is meaningless. That bottle design is probably year 2000 something.

Ok, I dont have "classic" oil to go with my "classic" car, then. Pity.

I do still have "junk pile" oil, though, which is a better match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back