Need a new pigtail: Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new pigtail because of a frayed wire. VW/ Audi part number 1J0 973 081.

Amazon and Ebay look to be the only stateside vendor that sells an aftermarket connector with a bit of wire attached. My go to European parts place just sell the connector with no wire. It's the OE part, but no wire nonetheless.

What good is this? Certainly I am missing something..

Wire is wire.

If you can get the connector and pins, that should be all you need.

Also, VW/Audi dealers will the connector in stock. They also keep repair wire sections with pins in stock.

Edit: what does the frayed wire look like? Is there enough slack to clip the damage out and use a good butt connector?

Last edited:
Not everyone sells pigtails. Ford has a pretty complete selection of them. Mazda just started offering them but has awesome wire sections with pins.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
VW/Audi dealers will the connector in stock. They also keep repair wire sections with pins in stock.

+1 That's where I get them or a junk yard and cut it off as long as needed.

Call a junkyard and have them cut off a section of the wires as well as the connector, this way its a simple cut and solder. Otherwise youll need to pn release tool to transfer the old pins into the new connector.

There's a reasonable chance your wire frayed right at the connection due to flex. If you have enough slack you might be able to buy the pins, work the old ones out, crimp new ones on, and stuff it back in the plastic thing.

But if you won't be doing this often it's easier to get the junkyard deal, splice, and heat-shrink.

I've gone through this with GM ABS connectors which metal-fatigue right at the spindle connection. Luckily that style weather-pack is all over the car (and decades of the same style) and I can snag some from "wherever" at the j/y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back