Carquest Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
CQ filters have been Purolator for a while. I hunted down every last PH2/FL-820S CQ Blue equivalent they had when they were phased out (87352s), I got the last of those.

What year, Bullwinkle? I had no idea who made them, I just went with my buddy telling me they were made by Wix and I trusted him, especially since he works at CQ.

I want to cut apart my current one in use more than ever now, but at the same time, that may not be a smart decision based on what I have learned about Purolator filters on here!
eek.gif

Irv,

If you're purchasing the CQ Blue 84899 or Red R84899 for your truck there is no fear of getting a Purolator manufactured filter. Purolator dropped this model number when they started manufacturing CQ filters and changed their application to use the 85372 / R85372 model number instead. So if you are using and continue to buy 84899 / R84899 CQ filters, you will have either NOS manufactured by Wix or NOS manufactured by Frampion. There is only a limited supply of NOS Wix & Frampion CQ oil filters circulating around out there for purchase and when they're gone, they're gone.

In the 84899 I have both a Wix and a Frampion dated Nov 2014 so that's when the Wix line ended for the 84899; the latest Frampion manufactured one I have is early 2016 so that's when the Frampion production ended and 84899 ceased to be manufactured.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link irv! Would like to get the latest updates on these "new" Purolator filters. Any signs of improvement over the last couple of years?

Hadn't been lurking around here too much the last few years until I got my '64 GTO back and had to get educated on zinc in oil and what is needed in flat tappet engine now days. I'm good on the zinc info now! Decided to get updated on filters and found all this. Really hard to keep up on who makes what. Been using a lot of STP filters on my low mileage OCs. Maybe 1500-2000 miles at the most. Like Fram Ultra and STP Extended Life on the longer OCs. Thanks for all the info you guys provide! Have never cut open a filter but I might next time around!

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
CQ filters have been Purolator for a while. I hunted down every last PH2/FL-820S CQ Blue equivalent they had when they were phased out (87352s), I got the last of those.

What year, Bullwinkle? I had no idea who made them, I just went with my buddy telling me they were made by Wix and I trusted him, especially since he works at CQ.

I want to cut apart my current one in use more than ever now, but at the same time, that may not be a smart decision based on what I have learned about Purolator filters on here!
eek.gif

Irv,

If you're purchasing the CQ Blue 84899 or Red R84899 for your truck there is no fear of getting a Purolator manufactured filter. Purolator dropped this model number when they started manufacturing CQ filters and changed their application to use the 85372 / R85372 model number instead. So if you are using and continue to buy 84899 / R84899 CQ filters, you will have either NOS manufactured by Wix or NOS manufactured by Frampion. There is only a limited supply of NOS Wix & Frampion CQ oil filters circulating around out there for purchase and when they're gone, they're gone.

In the 84899 I have both a Wix and a Frampion dated Nov 2014 so that's when the Wix line ended for the 84899; the latest Frampion manufactured one I have is early 2016 so that's when the Frampion production ended and 84899 ceased to be manufactured.

That is good to know, Nyogtha!

Those have been the filters I have used since my Ram's first oil change (Red, I believe, 84899's for sure) I plan on doing an oil change this coming spring, March/April, so I will verify that for sure, and like I previously said, I hope to cut this one open.

I appreciate the info, as always, Nyogtha!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: vwalburn
Hadn't been lurking around here too much the last few years until I got my '64 GTO back and had to get educated on zinc in oil and what is needed in flat tappet engine now days. I'm good on the zinc info now! Decided to get updated on filters and found all this. Really hard to keep up on who makes what. Been using a lot of STP filters on my low mileage OCs. Maybe 1500-2000 miles at the most. Like Fram Ultra and STP Extended Life on the longer OCs. Thanks for all the info you guys provide! Have never cut open a filter but I might next time around!

Your welcome, Vwalburn.
cheers3.gif

I agree, it is very hard to keep up with all the info/changes that constantly happen but that is why I enjoy this site so much. It seems that not much time passes before most on here know about these changes and post them up.

A 64 GTO, you're a lucky guy! Those are very sweet cars. Would love to see some pics of it if you can?

Good info to have.
There are a few R84899 filters around me, and a few 84899 at a store by my in-laws I go to every few weeks.
No plan to get them though. The CQ red are the same thing as Supertech (which are cheaper and newer), and the CQ Blue are the same price as Tough Guard.

Good to know though if I see any clearance on these anywhere.

The Frampion CQ red filters are not the same as the ST oil filters at WM. The Frampion CQ Red oil filters are essentially a Fram orange can with metal end caps and in some cases a different BPV design than typically used by Fram. The CQ Blue 84899 filters have a BPV common with some other Champ Labs filters where the BPV is nearly flush with the metal end cap, and the BPV spring is inside the filter center tube. The Frampion CQ Red have efficiency of 95% @ 20 microns, much higher than the ST filters @ WM.

Wix specifies a different filter as crossover for the Mopar MO-899, the Wix 57899, than for the Motorcraft FL-820S, the Wix 51372. The only difference I see on the Wix detail page is the BPV set pressure. Frampion continued this distinction when they were manufacturing filters for CQ. Purolator did not, consolidating these applications under the CQ 85372 now, which I don't have any specs on beyond what's on the AAP web site and I'm not personally interested in.

The CQ Blue 84899 can be purchased for a little over $4 with a 30% off AAP discount code, making the price significantly lower than the Fram TG2 @ WM or Pep Boys with a typical PB 20% discount code, or a Wix 57899 at OR or Napa Gold 7899.

Last edited:
The Frampion CQ red filters are not the same as the ST oil filters at WM. ...

Sorry, I was refering to the CQ Red made by Wix, those are the same as Supertech.
I have had both the Wix and Fampion made CQ Red, and prefer the Frampion made Red.
I would take either a Wix or Frampion CQ Blue though.

Quote:
The CQ Blue 84899 can be purchased for a little over $4 with a 30% off AAP discount code, making the price significantly lower than the Fram TG2 @ WM or Pep Boys with a typical PB 20% discount code, or a Wix 57899 at OR or Napa Gold 7899.

Isn't there a minimum purchase to use the 30% discount?

Minimum purchase requirements vary with what specific discount code is used at AAP in my experience. My $5 Speedperks rewards always have a minimum $20 pre-tax but after discounts purchase requirement.

One technique I've used is an on-line AAP order can be spread across multiple store locations for purchased items pickup to meet the minimum purchase requirements. Store pickup items and ship-to-home items can also be combined in one on-line order.

Unfortunately there's no way to tell who manufactured tbe CQ oil filters in stock at any particular store until you show up and the counter help takes them off the shelves that are not accessible to customers to the front for the customer to inspect. For ship-to-home purchase there's no way to tell until the package has been delivered and opened.

Like you I find either Wix or Frampion CQ Blue filters acceptable so there was no risk while I accumulated my stash for my truck of CQ Blue 84899 filters. What I picked up in store or received shipped to my home was guaranteed to be manufactured either by Wix or Frampion.

Last edited:
FWIW the Wix 51372 can be purchased for $5 each buying 2 and using a $5 off $10 or more purchase coupon you can get by entering the OR Cash Countdown sweepstakes, at least through Jan. 31. Similar technique gets the Wix 57899 for $4.50 each. Not clearance prices, but decent discounts.

With the manufacturers of these filters changing all the time, how do you tell who makes what? Can you tell by the model #? Will the last-four tell you anything? I'm most interested in STP, CARQUEST and Microguard filters since they seem to always be changing. Have heard that STP may be going to Purolator instead of ChampLabs.

^^^^ Basically you just have to become familiar with the construction type of the manufacturer to identify the maker of filters including STP, Carquest and MicroGard.

For STP basic blue, having checked very recently, locally they are now completely Champ Labs made. All the old fram filtration (fram/champ alliance) are gone. They even very recently added a 7317 application to the STP blue line which was not there before. That said, some AZ's in the NE/Pa posted here and from the West have shown M&H Puro as the manufacturer.

The newest STP MaxLife currently shows as M&H Purolator made for AZ Best Parts.

And the STP XL in AZs 'locally' currently shows as made by an unknown/unconfirmed manufacturer with a China coo. Newest XL boxes no longer show the ISO 99%@20um on the box, no efficiency listed.

vwalburn, the format of the production date code, and how it's marked on the filter, is a good indicator especially for spin-on fikters where you can't see the internals when at the store. Baseplate, center tube, and if present BPV details help flesh out the picture. Take a look at the details for example in the links in blupupher's post to his c&p of Wix vs Frampion CQ Red filters.

Just picked up a CQ filter today for $2.50. They're all behind the counter like they are getting rid of them. Hope to cut it open after I use it in my truck. Low mileage OC; 1K -1500 miles.

Just picked up a CQ filter today for $2.50. They're all behind the counter like they are getting rid of them. Hope to cut it open after I use it in my truck. Low mileage OC; 1K -1500 miles.

Did you get a red or a blue?
smile.gif

Still running several of the red and blue ones that were wix made. Love these things! I wish I could find more...

I have a dozen or so of the CQ Blues for my PSD. Fantastic filter and I scored them all on closeout from Rock Auto back in 2015--I wish they still made them.

White filter with red markings. What's the difference between the two?

ok, so the red
smile.gif

The CQ Red is their cheap economy filter, like a Purolator Classic. Part number starts with an R

The CQ Blue is their premium filter, like a P1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back